Traded Jack Billings

Remove this Banner Ad

Billings is tracking well above expectations and arguably more consistently than the great one that will remain nameless. The only criticism I have is his goal kicking consistency. He's failed to impact the scoreboard for a few weeks, it would be nice if he kicked his 1-2 goals a week like his good mate Sincs.

Not at all - Im just not sold on Billings...2nd year or otherwise, just cant warm to him as a future star midfielder!
Im in the same boat im not convinced either. but willing to be patient with him. Hes shown glimpses so far and thats all you could ask from him at this stage of his development.

Everyone has been raving about Bontempelli and how he's the best player from that draft but even he's had a drop off in form recently so it's a bit harsh to criticise Billings when he's been more consistent this season and outshone Bontempelli in our game against the Dogs.

I agree that we need to get a few more goals out of him as being a half forward that's part of his role but he's been doing some good work up around the ground and his kicking in general play is normally very good which helps set up other players going forward.

Once he builds his tank up he could be a great midfielder for us with the ability to play forward like an Ablett, Pendlebury and Fyfe.

He reminds me a lot of Robbie Gray. Clean skills, good balance, quick and dangerous around goals... And pretty good overhead!

Billings is the least of our problems. I can't see what the fuss is about. He isn't getting massive numbers and goals at the moment but everything he does is quality. There aren't too many weaknesses in his game and everything is pointing to a very long term high quality player.

How is it that Billings position in the team is never questioned? Apart from the Bulldogs game what else has he done this year? He looks intimidated at times to me, With Schneider & Sinclair going out it saves him, but it is time for him show a bit this week!
Outside. Now.

only negative i had of JB on the weekend was he kept getting sucked into the contest on the attacking side of the contest instead of staying 5-10meters off the contest and stopping the kick back handball by the hawks.

but besides that he played to his level

IMO Jack is tracking better than Dal, BJ, Joey, Lenny, Armo & Shuffles at the same stage of their careers.

Food for thought when 'not being sold' on someone. Especially a 19 year old with 1 pre season under his belt.

He's also spending more time up the ground either in a midfield rotation or as a high half forward hence more I50's but less goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he still not given away a free kick?
Billings has increased his tackling from 1.8/game last year to averaging 3.1 this year.

His 1%-ers have gone up marginally from 0.7 to 0.9 as well, so he's increasing his grunt work.

Billings like Riewoldt is a very fair player. Also, very good at applying the rules to his game, which takes great skill.

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2015-07-28/billings-out-for-season

Good news and bad news.
Good is that the club isn't taking any risks with him, but the bad news is that he's once again injured.
3 hamstrings, shins and I think a hand in 2 years isn't great.
But the bigger plus was when he played he definately looked to have improved from last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back