Player Watch Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Do people still think we folded in accepting Crisp along side 5 and 25 after 'deadline day'? It's hilarious looking back at some of the things that were said about that.

Interesting Q.

Remove the great result -- to answer, did we get who we really wanted / what we said we would only accept?
Only those involved would know but my thoughts at the time was that we backed away from our public posturing. That it has worked fantastically doesn't really address the core Q.

Further, with the benefit of hindsight (+ the ability to re-write history) would we prefer
- Pick 5/ Crisp / Pick 25
- Pick 5 +'Aish
- Pick 5 + Pick 1 (if future trading been in effect)

Wow the funny thing is we actually would have got that because Brisbane obviously would have backed themselves to considerably improve on last year (some were saying finals were a possibility at the start of the year) and therefore believed they were only giving away pick 5 and maybe pick 8-12

Interesting Q.

Remove the great result -- to answer, did we get who we really wanted / what we said we would only accept?
Only those involved would know but my thoughts at the time was that we backed away from our public posturing. That it has worked fantastically doesn't really address the core Q.

Further, with the benefit of hindsight (+ the ability to re-write history) would we prefer
- Pick 5/ Crisp / Pick 25
- Pick 5 +'Aish

We would not got Pick 1 as the AFL would say it wad a Protected Pick

We would not got Pick 1 as the AFL would say it wad a Protected Pick
Dave, I don't know enough about the rules.
I just thought if you traded for a future first-rounder you got the pick from wherever that club finished (?)

Dave, I don't know enough about the rules.
I just thought if you traded for a future first-rounder you got the pick from wherever that club finished (?)

I remember reading that Top 5 Picks would be Protected. How I don’t know that Much

Crisp has had a fantastic year and has been a huge surprise packet.

What are peoples thoughts on how much improvement he has left him in 2016 and beyond? That is my only doubt about Crisp, that because he has a mature body and has been in the system a few years, he isn't going to get much better - a bit like say Blair who is not much different now to when he made his debut in 2010. If he stays as good as he is now, he makes for a handy best 22 player, but it would be nice to think he could go up another level.

This will sound like sour grapes, but I really didn't rate Beams that highly.

He was excellent for Bears whilst playing, but in my opinion he will never be elite top 10 player.

JDG on the other hand, I think, has potential for greatness written all over him.

When you throw in Crispwood we are so far in front its laughable.

He was an excellent offensive player and an absolute spud liability defensively. He'd never break into more than a lazy jog when he had to run after a player with the ball or to run back defensively. He never had a high tackle numbers.

As a whole midfield unit we are better without him because we have increased our depth with the 3 players brought in and all 3 bring accountability.

Wow the funny thing is we actually would have got that because Brisbane obviously would have backed themselves to considerably improve on last year (some were saying finals were a possibility at the start of the year) and therefore believed they were only giving away pick 5 and maybe pick 8-12

They wouldn't have traded the two first round picks regardless. We might have been able to squeeze out Aish + first pick this year, as they might have valued their last years pick slightly more.

Out of this world good doesn't sound right. I don't remember him winning any niteable awards (outside Copeland). I wouldn't have thought he was top 10 in the league.

I agree with TD, he was very much a one way runner...very few tackles or defensive stuff.

My good memories of ex players does quickly erode though to be honest.

He tackled. When the ball was in his vicinity, he was fantastic. He didn't chase much though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeak we wouldn't have got pick 1. Top 5 picks are exempt from that rule.

Not sure then how the club is compensated in that case.
I think club just gets the next pick don't they? Harsh on the rest of the comp all moving back in the order due to one teams shitness, but no different to FA compo.

I think club just gets the next pick don't they? Harsh on the rest of the comp all moving back in the order due to one teams shitness, but no different to FA compo.
Okay - so the club would get pick 6? Interesting - I don't like that at all. Should just be whatever that pick is, and buyer beware for the clubs participating.

Okay - so the club would get pick 6? Interesting - I don't like that at all. Should just be whatever that pick is, and buyer beware for the clubs participating.
Well if they had pick 1 this year in theory we should have had pick 2 if they'd traded this years first.

I agree though, it should be buyer beware. Frankly, bottom 5 teams shouldn't be able to on-trade their next years pick if they're just going to get it back. That's an incentive to tank if ever I saw one. Trade for a marquee player with next years first, then simply get it back? Asking for trouble. I agree 100% it should be buyer beware.

Well if they had pick 1 this year in theory we should have had pick 2 if they'd traded this years first.

I agree though, it should be buyer beware. Frankly, bottom 5 teams shouldn't be able to on-trade their next years pick if they're just going to get it back. That's an incentive to tank if ever I saw one. Trade for a marquee player with next years first, then simply get it back? Asking for trouble. I agree 100% it should be buyer beware.

Good Point. A Top 5 Pick would be enough to get a Star Player

["Apex36, post: 40583649, member: 152233"]Well if they had pick 1 this year in theory we should have had pick 2 if they'd traded this years first.

I agree though, it should be buyer beware. Frankly, bottom 5 teams shouldn't be able to on-trade their next years pick if they're just going to get it back. That's an incentive to tank if ever I saw one. Trade for a marquee player with next years first, then simply get it back? Asking for trouble. I agree 100% it should be buyer beware.[/QUOTE]

Overlooked that completely. A reason to tank if ever there was one. Better than a priority pick as teams get to choose a proven gun then still win at the next draft. Should be a lottery system or another safeguard or teams on the rebuild will most certainly exploit the protected picks system.

Crisp has been great.
Has not really put a foot wrong and is the type of player flag sides need a few of.
Certainly surpassed my expectations given much of the rot written at the time of the deal.

It is official. According to Champion Datas player rating points Crisp is the recruit of the year.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-11/the-inquirer-the-best-of-2015
Agree with this totally! IF crispy hasnt been the recruit of the year then who has? Anyone that says he hasnt been dont know what they are talking about!! This guy is a gem. He adds another dimension to our midfield and will only get better in 2016. First year in the Collingwood system and 2nd year at the top level. Cant wait to see what he does next year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back