News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Must have missed it. Where have they detailed this explanation?

It was a few months ago, I’ll try and find it and post it.

Edit: It’s from the AGM a few months ago. Here’s what John O’Rourke said……

“The redevelopment of Punt Road Oval is one of the most significant undertakings in the history of our Club. It will be our legacy for generations to come and keep our Club strong and bold long into the future.

Funding this redevelopment is a significant challenge in the current environment. Support from Government - both Federal and State - and some very generous donations from our high-net-worth supporters have been very much appreciated. But we will need the support of our members and supporters to bring this redevelopment to life.

A fundraising campaign will commence early in the new year, and any support you can provide will be greatly appreciated.”

He also said we will be taking on some manageable debt.
Tina De Young also said we’ve gone out to some banks about funding.

Last edited:
Yeah I won't be contributing to this while my ass points to the ground. The CFL thinks about our money that we give to the club like it's their own. They literally do and I know this to be a fact. There is no guarantee the CFL won't effectively just take some of this donated money by giving us even less distribution than they do now. The CFL cannot be trusted.
This

It was a few months ago, I’ll try and find it and post it.

Edit: It’s from the AGM a few months ago. Here’s what John O’Rourke said……

“The redevelopment of Punt Road Oval is one of the most significant undertakings in the history of our Club. It will be our legacy for generations to come and keep our Club strong and bold long into the future.

Funding this redevelopment is a significant challenge in the current environment. Support from Government - both Federal and State - and some very generous donations from our high-net-worth supporters have been very much appreciated. But we will need the support of our members and supporters to bring this redevelopment to life.

A fundraising campaign will commence early in the new year, and any support you can provide will be greatly appreciated.”

He also said we will be taking on some manageable debt.
Tina De Young also said we’ve gone out to some banks about funding.

Ok that’s not a detailed explanation. They’re motherhood statements and no recent updates on the financials, levels of debt etc.

I get this is usually done through the financial reporting end of year. But my observation still stands. I want more detail on what they’ve done and planning to do outside of handouts from the members.

View attachment 1968872 Years ago I was wandering through Southland and I came across a pop up sales display marketing what would eventually become this. I didn't especially want it and I certainly didn't want to pay that much (it was like around the 150 dollar mark) but went ahead and pre-ordered it anyhow. Why? Because part of the deal was my family and I could submit a photo and we would all be part of a picture collage near the back of the volume. That's what sold it and now I have it on display with a whole lot of other Richmond stuff. Now if the guy had said 'oh we will upload your photo to a website' I would have laughed my head off and walked away.

For people, many of whom are at best indifferent to the development, the idea that you are going to squeeze hundreds out of them with the promise of being on a 'digital honour board' is beyond stupid. For that kind of money, it needs to be something tangible, something that you can either see at the ground or something that you can take home like a personalised brick with a photo of the old stand.

Anyhow no doubt the techno savvy snotty nosed kid who came up with the concept will argue that anything that can't be wiped out by a computer virus is by definition outdated and doesn't appeal to the youth of today. Well guess what? It aint the youth that's got most of the money, it's older supporters that do. And most older members will want something real that they can show their kids and so on through the generations, especially when tearing down the old stand invites so many mixed feelings. Frankly I will be amazed if they get anywhere near what they are targeting.They will certainly have to do better than a 'digital honour board' to get any of my money.
THIS...

Bit rich by the club asking members to fork it out. First of we're are the details how much a we short , who's contributing what , why is it delayed so much considering they would have knew about the problems with knocking down the JD stand. Bit of transparency would be better to your faithful.

i thought the David Mandir centre was our state of the art facilities that would guarantee our success and location for generations to come

lmao

Asking the members to constantly dip their hands into their hard earned every time is getting very tired.

Club needs to watch itself. Bit of an inflection point coming up.

We’re debt free right? The club should borrow some money like every other farker, hit the coteries and top end of town donors then come back to the rank and file.

Club needs to show us they’ve exhausted every possible avenue first instead of asking for another handout from the members.
from the house of rockefeller

Asking the members to constantly dip their hands into their hard earned every time is getting very tired.

why would members fork out when the club bends over and cops it sweet from the cfl/umpires

rfc can suck eggs until we are treated equal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hubris was always going to bite us on the arse because unlike Man U, you can't stay up forever in an environment of salary cap.

It galls me that back in 95 I was asked to chip in to help renovate the stand and somewhere way back up the back is a list of donors with my name on it (and the Kellaway brothers if I remember correctly).

Now because no-one has the intellectual capability to think outside the box they want to pull it down. I have said this many times: If it was heritage listed and pulling it down was not an option, NFW would they be advocating to up and leave Punt Rd. They would be advocating to redevlop on the vacant area between the stand and Punt Rd.

Hubris was always going to bite us on the arse because unlike Man U, you can't stay up forever in an environment of salary cap.

It galls me that back in 95 I was asked to chip in to help renovate the stand and somewhere way back up the back is a list of donors with my name on it (and the Kellaway brothers if I remember correctly).

Now because no-one has the intellectual capability to think outside the box they want to pull it down. I have said this many times: If it was heritage listed and pulling it down was not an option, NFW would they be advocating to up and leave Punt Rd. They would be advocating to redevlop on the vacant area between the stand and Punt Rd.

Mate I have kicked in so much cash outside of my 20+ year membership it’s not funny. I don’t even live in Australia anymore and I still pay for the membership and buy the farking raffle tickets and any other thing they throw my way.

This is the last straw for me. No more cash here Robbo until I see some detail on the plans. And I’m not waiting until the AGM.

Ca$h must be tight at the moment for everyone not just the Club...and reading between the lines here...
Reckon that may be why the Club has not made any moves in agitating the AFL Old Boys Club in regards to the free kick bias agin us!
So as to avoid any fines/punishments that could take away from the PRO development and other improvements!
The AFL Old Boys Club has the Club currently between a rock and a hard place...the Club is being stripped clean of IP and personnel to other Clubs...so the AFL Old Boys Club could not give a toss about our beatings...umpiring included!
We as a Club are also in a mini transition phase player wise with Drafts coming up...so we are not in a state to rumble with the AFL or cause disruptions!
Player injuries have been a shocker! Our Medical/Physio Depts need a priority fix...cash and personnel wise...so we are not in a state to rumble with the AFL!
If both Gale and Hartley zip off to Tassy...the Club is gonna be on its proverbial knees in regards to professional guidance and management!
So its a little steady as we go at the moment! Whether we all like it or not!

Exactly. 100% spot on.

The 'leaving punt road' stuff was dross from a very small section of our community highly invested in demolishing the old stand. Fair enough if you are pro-demolish, but seriously, pull the other one re. RFC leaving PRO under any circumstances!
As I have said many times, Collingwood/MFC would be in there by the afternoon. Best real estate in football bar none. Not even RFC would be that stupid.

And now they can't get the demolish-build program going unless we members pay for it?
Surprise, surprise.

If only we had thought outside the box, come up with a genuinely smart redevelopment plan that allowed for RFC growth while preserving PRO's and RFC's history...That would have got many more stakeholders on board, and be totally self-funded without needing to tap RFC members for more cash, IMO.

When you leave half the community behind, this is what can happen.

Nobody is being forced to put money towards this redevelopment of Punt Road and the redevelopment will put us on par with most opposition clubs who have now surpassed us in terms of training facilities. The current available space is cramped and not suitable for how we want to operate as a club. By removing the car parking behind the Jack Dyer Stand and being able to expand the playing surface as well as off field facilities will allow the club to grow and give us the best chance to achieve sustained success, not just in the mens program but also in the womens. Not only that but it will also benefit the supporters who like to get along and watch the VFL & AFLW games as there will be greater space available for fans to attend.

Exactly. 100% spot on.

The 'leaving punt road' stuff was dross from a very small section of our community highly invested in demolishing the old stand. Fair enough if you are pro-demolish, but seriously, pull the other one re. RFC leaving PRO under any circumstances!
As I have said many times, Collingwood/MFC would be in there by the afternoon. Best real estate in football bar none. Not even RFC would be that stupid.

And now they can't get the demolish-build program going unless we members pay for it?
Surprise, surprise.

If only we had thought outside the box, come up with a genuinely smart redevelopment plan that allowed for RFC growth while preserving PRO's and RFC's history...That would have got many more stakeholders on board, and be totally self-funded without needing to tap RFC members for more cash, IMO.

When you leave half the community behind, this is what can happen.
Leaving that heap of s**t and building the proposed amenity around it would have cost 200mn. Or perhaps we could go underground and build a 50s style nuclear bunker to accommodate everyone

Just as an aside, whatever happened to the Craigieburn (IIRC) base the club was developing?
It was temporary while they rebuilt last time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back