Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

I do love a Trent Croad scenario.
Glad to have you back Jack!
Nothing like the Trent Croad scenario - Trent bled brown and gold and desperately wanted to stay - we pushed him out to help get Hodge

Not happy about this. It’s like taking an ex girlfriend back after she ditched you for another guy - only to come back knocking on you door when the other guys wasn’t really into her…

His body is cooked, just cannot see this end well for both player and club

Nothing like the Trent Croad scenario - Trent bled brown and gold and desperately wanted to stay - we pushed him out to help get Hodge

Not happy about this. It’s like taking an ex girlfriend back after she ditched you for another guy - only to come back knocking on you door when the other guys wasn’t really into her…

He cost nothing, what's the problem?

We got Jack Gunston back!! How good is that!!

Wasn’t keen on this as I thought what’s the point but I think he is actually more suited to the forward line of Lewis chol and him rather than hipwood Daniher him and Charlie. I’m warming to the idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and takes development away from DGB and Ramsden if we plan to play them forward.
No it doesn't. They need to be earing games on merit and if they can not push for selection over a 'cooked' Gunston it says more about them.

We really want his mind though

Amazed at the level of sobbing amd hand wringing about getting Gunston back, all those times this year when our forward line structure collapsed, or Lewis getting double or triple-teamed, teammates spoiling Lewis or running in his leading lans... guess which incredibly intelligent, onfield coach helps fix all that, and fast tracks our forward line development?

I understand the trepidation surrounding this pick, but the ineffectiveness of our forward line this year can't be understated. Jack is a very smart, natural footballer. He provides that 3rd tall role that DGB & Greene just can't execute at the level. Ignore him at your own peril as he can still hurt teams. He kicked 22 goals this year & 6 in one game, & that was with limited time. That would've put him 3rd on our list behind Punky and Lewis. How can that not help?

Remember, both Jack & Rich opted not to play because their fitness wasn't up to par. It wasn't necessarily through injury or form. There's something about his modesty & character that reassures me that he wouldn't have asked for a trade unless he felt as though he has something to offer. I think he's got a point to prove, will assist with our scoring efficiency, marshall the forward line & upskill the kids.

If the kids earn a shot, they'll get it. I feel like some players were either played out of position or gifted games this year. After yesterday, the cupboard's not as bare. Over to you Jack.

Last edited:

For once I agree with David King with Gunston Thanks but no thanks get the games into the kids.

The same David King who said last off season that Sam was committing 'professional suicide' due to the amount of senior players let go, and is now saying that bringing back one of those players we apparently would fall apart without will negatively affect the direction of Sam's rebuild (which he didn't support last year). Feel free to agree with him, but I am not sure he himself knows what his position is.

I understand the trepidation surrounding this pick, but the ineffectiveness of our forward line this year can't be understated. Jack is a very smart, natural footballer. He provides that 3rd tall role that DGB & Greene just can't execute at the level. Ignore him at your own peril as he can still hurt teams. He kicked 22 goals this year & 6 in one game, & that was with limited time. That would've put him 3rd on our list behind Punky and Lewis. How can that not help?

Remember, both Jack & Rich opted not to play because their fitness wasn't up to par. It wasn't necessarily through injury or form. There's something about his modesty & character that reassures me that he wouldn't have asked for a trade unless he felt as though he has something to offer. I think he's got a point to prove, will assist with our scoring efficiency, marshall the forward line & upskill the kids.

If the kids earn a shot, they'll get it. I feel like some players were either played out of position or gifted games this year. After yesterday, the cupboard's not as bare. Over to you Jack.
It was a form thing. Both had a pretty poor year.

Our kids should be pushing well past Jack and getting themselves game time. If they aren’t that’s all on them. Jack’s been a great player for a long time but his body has really caught up with him.

It was a form thing. Both had a pretty poor year.

Our kids should be pushing well past Jack and getting themselves game time. If they aren’t that’s all on them. Jack’s been a great player for a long time but his body has really caught up with him.
I sincerely hope the kids do cause a selection conundrum. That'd be amazing. The perfect scenario. In the interim though, I'm backing Gunners in. Also, ... you can't quantify the effect of the prodigal son returning. It's great for the players, the club & the supporters. No one questions Jack the person, it's all about his capabilities at 32.

I sincerely hope the kids do cause a selection conundrum. That'd be amazing. The perfect scenario. In the interim though, I'm backing Gunners in. Also, ... you can't quantify the effect of the prodigal son returning. It's great for the players, the club & the supporters. No one questions Jack the person, it's all about his capabilities at 32.
He’s definitely going to be wonderful off the field.

For on the field the more competition for spots we have the better. Everyone needs to be working hard to get picked each week.

A good result from Gunners next year in my view would be 10-15 games as required, and helping fast track the development of players like DGB (forward) and Serong (back).

Gunners probably won't play interstate games depending on his fitness and form he may be rested more often. If he completely falls away then he just doesn't play. Sam would have made it abundantly clear that he is not a walk up start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back