Jack - Has he knocked back a contract offer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack's an interesting player.

He has heaps of potential a dead eye dick in front of goal,but can play in the backline also currently he is a lazy player,or need a huge pre season under his belt.

With Tarrant back Jack may feel his place in our best 22 is in danger,but Tarrant is injury prone no guarantee that he will play longer than one year i reckon.Once Malthouse steps aside Buckley may only keep tarrant as a depth player only,Anthony would be the desired swing man buckley would require cause he is much younger.

Malthouse only got Tarrant in as insurnce for another push at another flag,which is good,but you'll find TARRANT would not be in Buckley's long term plans cause he is too old now.

Jack in the end may stay i reckon,cause if he goes into the draft he knows he won't have an immediate chance to play not only finals but also
anothe chance to play for a flag.

If he goes into the draft he may get taken by either Gold Coast,West Coast or Richmond,he won't slip past further than of these teams.

So really he would know that his chances of a flag are dimmished if he leaves Collingwood.

I think Jack's biggest problem this year was his shoulder op in the pre-season.
He looks much thinner than most blokes of his height. He missed out on a pre-season of weights, and this hampered him a lot.
He seemed to want to wrestle man on man, rather than lead at the ball.
I think also that his confidence was shot early on after being dropped. He struggled to get form back.
Rewind to late 2008 and the whole 2009 season, and he carried our forward line. Cloke was out of form, Medhurst was injured, and Dawes hadn't emerged yet. Jack was played there because we had nobody else. And he kicked 50 in a season. Rocca and Medders are the only others i can remember this century doing that.
So, i hope he stays. He is young, versatile, and has a solid base to improve on. A strong pre-season, some early confindence, and who knows.

I hope he stays, just don't know whose spot he can take ?
He provides a ready made replacement if a major injury occurs.
If he can improve, he will put pressure on other players to perform.
A guy that can kick 50 goals in a season cannot be that bad.:thumbsu:

I think Jack's biggest problem this year was his shoulder op in the pre-season.
He looks much thinner than most blokes of his height. He missed out on a pre-season of weights, and this hampered him a lot.
He seemed to want to wrestle man on man, rather than lead at the ball.
I think also that his confidence was shot early on after being dropped. He struggled to get form back.
Rewind to late 2008 and the whole 2009 season, and he carried our forward line. Cloke was out of form, Medhurst was injured, and Dawes hadn't emerged yet. Jack was played there because we had nobody else. And he kicked 50 in a season. Rocca and Medders are the only others i can remember this century doing that.
So, i hope he stays. He is young, versatile, and has a solid base to improve on. A strong pre-season, some early confindence, and who knows.

Say no more. This perfectly describes Jack's recent history. He is not the first player to have a season ruined before it began. He looked thin all year. He needs another chance. Keep him.

I think the club is keen to keep him otherwise a trade would have been found. Probably quibbling over a few dollars. I would be very dirty if he walked now. Although he is not in our best 22 I see him as a key player as injuries will come forward & back & he can slot in nicely.

He missed a preseason due to surgery, and got overtaken by Dawes. People calling him s**t are making the wrong call. I still think he has a lot to offer and I'd be annoyed if he walked out - I like him, and would prefer to see him stay the Pies. I wouldn't begrudge him leaving though, seems fairly obvious his opportunities are going to be limited, at least in the short term.

Hope he stays, has a great pre-season and is ready for the next opportunity which will surely come.

I still think he should be playing back in either Shaw's or Harry's position, and one of them can move to the wing.

Really, he should be replacing Toovey, but I know Mick won't drop Tooves. I'd bet that Jack could play Toovey's role better and still be a back up key back.

I'd be really bothered if we lose Jack.

Why does everyone at the club hate Jack?

Its not hate its just that some don't rate him. This is AFL footy, every player is analysed by the opposition, kick a few goals and they look at you even closer. Jack is a lead up forward and a good kick but he is no good when the ball hits the ground, lacks agility and a wind tank. So opposition sides have gone with guys fast enough to keep with him on the lead and then run off him.

Down back his lack of agility and ground level play makes it hard for him to be as effective as our other backs, really noticeable live how much he struggles with the second efforts and to provide cover.

Like all young players he needs to develop further (Dawes, Reid and N Brown will all be under the microscope next year) but his attitude is such that this message may not be getting through. MM has stated he is 'different' (read into that what you like) but that he likes him, whether that has changed who knows but if he does not do the work he will be treates like Shannon Cox.

I still think he should be playing back in either Shaw's or Harry's position, and one of them can move to the wing.

Really, he should be replacing Toovey, but I know Mick won't drop Tooves. I'd bet that Jack could play Toovey's role better and still be a back up key back.

I don't agree with that comment, but do agree about being bothered if we lose him.
We have to keep him now to see if he can be as good as Tooooves.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toovey is heaps faster than Anthony.
Toovey anyday over him..
and more agile
and a better tackler
and fitter
and doesn't fall over half as much gos that kills me

Would hate to lose Anthony because if he pulls his finger out he is talented, but if he leaves it will prove my point about him seeming to be somewhat lazy

Tooves anyday of the week. Much better player and an integral part of our defence.

Anthony can play on genuine KP height players, so I dunno where the Tooves comparison is coming from!

Jack is a very good young player and should be being played in defence. Had a rough year with injury, especially early on in pre-season where he couldn't get the conditioning right and when played as a forward, had trouble with marking.

Was in the VFL bests as a defender repeatedly and even dominant in many others. In the last game he played in the seniors, he wasn't anywhere near as bad as what people were saying and really only lost his spot due to Chopper coming back from injury.

Wow check out the love for Tooves, why isn't that love there for developing players before they actually breakthrough, perhaps if that love was there from the start some of our kids would come along that much quicker. I'm sure slagging kids off until they have actually succeeded in cementing themselves in the side can't help them have the confidence to take the kinds of risks that can make their career. The posts (in the 'you were wrong' thread) that links to the thread where people were posting that young Dane Swan (circa 2006) would never make the grade, might motivate some but if they are having self doubts these posts would just about crush their spirit. Particularly coming from their own supporters.

Wow check out the love for Tooves, why isn't that love there for developing players before they actually breakthrough, perhaps if that love was there from the start some of our kids would come along that much quicker. I'm sure slagging kids off until they have actually succeeded in cementing themselves in the side can't help them have the confidence to take the kinds of risks that can make their career. The posts (in the 'you were wrong' thread) that links to the thread where people were posting that young Dane Swan (circa 2006) would never make the grade, might motivate some but if they are having self doubts these posts would just about crush their spirit. Particularly coming from their own supporters.

Firstly, I doubt the players read these forums. Secondly, if the players are unable to handle criticism then they are not very professional are they?

Firstly, I doubt the players read these forums. Secondly, if the players are unable to handle criticism then they are not very professional are they?

well if they're a first year rookie on 30 grand or whatever they get, then they're not getting paid enough to be a professional...so give em a break.

There has always been plenty 'O' love for the Awesome Possum from this quarter and a fair few others as well even when he was a raw young possum.

I couldn't see Jack playing Tooves roll anywhere near as well as Tooves, has he even played down back in the seniors. With the improvement in Dawes and the inclusion of Tarrant I can't see him breaking into the team unless we get injuries. Consequently a very unhappy Jack.

2 years ago I would of said Jack over Toovey in any role, but Tooveys pace, defensive skills, tackling and even to some degree disposal have improved so much!

Sorry I don't understand this post, which part didn't you agree with?

Sorry I'm so late in replying.

You said "Firstly, I doubt the players read these forums." That may be true, but forums like these are commonly used by journalists as an indication of supporters' views. The forums also tend to build up presssure on young players if they're not performing.

You also said "Secondly, if the players are unable to handle criticism then they are not very professional are they?"

My post was a comment on this section. I know you were using the word "professional" in a way that means that the player should be meticulous with preparation and attidude etc. I was using the word "professional" as a word to describe those people who play sport for money....as opposed to amateurs who don't get paid for playing sport. I was commenting on the fact that many of the younger players are not paid large amounts of money to play football...some of the rookie players like Blair get paid very little to play football.

It was because of their relatively small wages that I said that some of the players weren't that "professional". I hope this clarifies your understanding.

JA- has height, speed, can play FWD and BACK, sounds to me like the perfect combination for a UTILITY - which I think the sub position on the bench will become next year.

If he leaves I think that it will also be an indication that BUCKS doesn't see him fitting in with his future plans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back