Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the Reacher series. I picked up the first book as i was looking for a new crime author to read and have been hooked since. My favourite book is the second one "Die Trying" as it is the most full on book i've read in a while. I thought i was reading about Rambo not Jack Reacher

As for who should play reacher in a movie, bruce willis doesn't cut it. Reacher a big man. Some like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson should play reacher i reckon

Bruce Willis would be a good fit. The Rock would also be a good fit. Maybe even Eric Bana.

I've read 3 or 4 Reacher novels. They're ok. The action/thriller genre is dime a dozen though. Gets repetitive after a while.

Hahaha I've read em all and Reacher is a great character, Bruce Willis wouldn't be badass enough though.

They're OK. Nothing special. It reads like a Seagal movie. The guy has no flaws and surprise, he's always right.

He's a guy that guys want to be and (more importantly) a guy that women want to ********.

Just started reading it a couple of days ago, about 1/3 the way through now.
Pretty enjoyable so far.

Bit disappointed that all off a sudden he's an idiot savant with numbers. Seems to be grasping at a plot device when ideas are becoming hard to come by ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoy reading them, they keep me entertained for a few days.

I didn't like his last book all that much, but the previous one about the sniper i really enjoyed.

A movie based on reacher would be interesting to say the least.

This is certainly an old bump but on the bolded, I only just found out they're making One Shot, the "sniper one" into a movie and have casted Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher...

WTF, biggest miscast ever?

I've been a Reacher fan since the Killing Floor but have noticed what I feel is a change over time. I'm beginning to believe that Reacher is either borderline *ed or a sociopath. He is incapable of understanding anyone else's point of view and is determined to impose his own will on anyone he comes in contact with. The character development has actually gone backwards. In the first novel he had an appreciation for music and some form of feelings for his brother and others. Now he seems incapable of forming attachments beyond sexy times.

The most recent book was terrible - 350 pages of Reacher being silent, then strong travelling in cars, followed by 50 pages of action and The End.

I've been a Reacher fan since the Killing Floor but have noticed what I feel is a change over time. I'm beginning to believe that Reacher is either borderline *ed or a sociopath. He is incapable of understanding anyone else's point of view and is determined to impose his own will on anyone he comes in contact with. The character development has actually gone backwards. In the first novel he had an appreciation for music and some form of feelings for his brother and others. Now he seems incapable of forming attachments beyond sexy times.

The most recent book was terrible - 350 pages of Reacher being silent, then strong travelling in cars, followed by 50 pages of action and The End.

I agree with your first paragraph about the development of Reacher, but disagree with your second paragraph about the lastest (and last as far as I'm concerned) novel. Eventhough I have enjoyed all the novels, this is first one where for the first 250 pages or so I just couldn't put the book down, and in part I think it was because Reacher was silent for a lot of that time. Generally I find they start a little slow and build up to an entertaining ending, this one started off with an interesting premise and a well written opening half but the ending was a little weak.

I owned a copy of every Reacher novel, but burnt them when I discovered Tom Cruise was playing the role of Reacher. A more insipid actor in movie making history I cannot think of.

My mate was dying to see the Reacher movie but I was able to convince him to read the first couple books first, Cruise really is a laughable choice.

Good bump though, didn't realise there was a new one out, last one I read was "Bad Luck And Trouble" which I thought was only ok, certainly not up to the standard of the first 4-5.

I agree with your first paragraph about the development of Reacher, but disagree with your second paragraph about the lastest (and last as far as I'm concerned) novel. Eventhough I have enjoyed all the novels, this is first one where for the first 250 pages or so I just couldn't put the book down, and in part I think it was because Reacher was silent for a lot of that time. Generally I find they start a little slow and build up to an entertaining ending, this one started off with an interesting premise and a well written opening half but the ending was a little weak.

I owned a copy of every Reacher novel, but burnt them when I discovered Tom Cruise was playing the role of Reacher. A more insipid actor in movie making history I cannot think of.

Fundamentally against the movie and Cruise. I cannot see myself ever buying another Reacher novel mainly due to the declining quality.

Maybe Lee Child will move to co-writers a-la James Patterson. Now that is a decline into self-parody, but who cares if you make the bucks.

My mate was dying to see the Reacher movie but I was able to convince him to read the first couple books first, Cruise really is a laughable choice.

Good bump though, didn't realise there was a new one out, last one I read was "Bad Luck And Trouble" which I thought was only ok, certainly not up to the standard of the first 4-5.

Glad I'm not alone thinking they've gone downhill.

Fundamentally against the movie and Cruise. I cannot see myself ever buying another Reacher novel mainly due to the declining quality.

Maybe Lee Child will move to co-writers a-la James Patterson. Now that is a decline into self-parody, but who cares if you make the bucks.

Has any writer of a long running series been able to maintain the quality? I can't think of any.

I think Lee Child has already started on that route. Didn't he release a book late last year where he co-wrote with a number of young "up and comers"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back