Traded Jack Redden (2008-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

R&R THE REAL DEAL

Redden and Rockliff. The pair are set to be the Lions’ leading midfielders for the next 10 years and showed why on Sunday. Jack Redden finished the match with 28 touches, six marks, 10 tackles and two goals for a massive 141 SuperCoach points. Tom Rockliff wasn’t far behind, finishing with 132 points, from his 32 disposals, six marks and eight tackles. Combined with Daniel Rich, Pearce Hanley, Dayne Zorko and the ruck work of Matthew Leuenberger, the Lions have a formidable midfield.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/th...ions-bounce-back/story-fndv7pj3-1226835911323

Inside Football Player Rating - BLvGCS - NAB Challenge 2.
8/10 – Great performance - 28 disposals, 10 tackles, five inside 50s, nine cont. poss. 75% efficiency.

-- Ben Casanella, Inside Football Thursday, February 27, 2014, Match Review BLvGCS

Not sure I'd have him ahead of Rocky but I was very pleased with Redden last game. He seemed to use the ball better in the open and, even though his tackle stats were high, I thought he was a lot more proactive around the contest. If he goes to the next level with his game, we are looking very solid through the midfield.

That's the most pleasing thing is that Redden seems to have stepped up that gear we were all expecting him to do last year when Rocky did.

He might steal a few Brownlow votes of Rocky though.

He does need to find a bit more of the pill, he isnt a 30+ possession mid, but he needs to average the high 20's. His average last year was about 21, so if he can get more ball and keep the tackling numbers up he will have a big year.

I think our gameplan should help him find more ball wirh our ball movement. Redden is a decent mark above his head and can kick a goal, so id love to see him contributing a little bit more on the scoreboard too.

Jack Redden hails from the town of Keith in South Australia. But unlike some of his former homesick teammates, the Brisbane Lions midfielder never considered joining the procession out of the Gabba at the end of last season.

Instead, he's signed on the dotted line for another two years as coach Justin Leppitsch locks in another of the key components to what he hopes is a list that can make - and thrive in - the AFL finals. Sam Mayes committed last week until the end of 2016.

The door was almost flung off the hinges in the off-season as the ''go home five'' - Jared Polec, Billy Longer, Sam Docherty, Patrick Karnezis and Elliot Yeo - all raced for the exits as the club found itself in the midst of a boardroom meltdown and coaching change.

But Redden stayed firm and said he never intended to depart, insisting he could help return the club to the finals.

"I really had no intentions of going home. I love it here, I love the club. It is starting to feel like home and my family come up fairly regularly," Redden said.

"It was disappointing some of those young players left, them being early-round draft picks. But with this group, I feel we can push for finals this year or next year."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/lions-...o-head-home-20140318-hvk4b.html#ixzz2wMUiOAHb

BRISBANE Lions midfielder Jack Redden has agreed to a new two-year deal with the club.

The new agreement will see Redden, 24, remain at the Lions until at least the end of the 2016 season.

Redden joins Sam Mayes, who last week announced he has chosen to stay with the Lions until at least the end of 2016, after signing a new two-year deal.

Mayes, who had an outstanding debut year in 2013 playing 18 games, was the club’s first draft pick in 2012.

Redden said there was never any doubt about wanting to remain a Lion and is excited about the future of the club.

“I love the club and I love Brisbane,” he said.

“There was never a doubt in my mind that I would remain a Lion. I have been at the club for six years now and I am really excited about the direction we are heading.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...h-brisbane-lions/story-fni5f4q3-1226857974025

AFL: Brisbane Lions midfielder Jack Redden said he believes the next two years can be the best of his career after signing a contract extension tying him to the club until the end of 2016.

Redden (pictured), 24, said there was never any doubt about wanting to remain a Lion and was excited about the future of the club.

SSH_19-03-2014_SHARED_23_redden19_fct1025x773x128_t300.jpg

Aap Images

"Leppa (coach Justin Leppitsch) has brought fresh eyes to the club, and I am relishing the opportunity to learn under him," he said.

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/re-signed-lion-says-his-best-years-ahead/2203056/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Milestone men Rich and Redden tread the same path to success
25 March 2014
Michael Whiting

THEY were drafted on the same night more than five years ago, and now Daniel Rich and Jack Redden will play their 100th games together for the Brisbane Lions on Sunday. In what was a successful 2008 NAB AFL Draft for the Lions, they grabbed West Australian Rich with pick No.7, then followed up with South Australian Redden in the second round at pick No.25.

Redden took a little longer to grab headlines. He made his debut in round 15 that season – against Geelong, the same team he will face on Sunday – and has not missed a game since. The 23-year-old will be just the eighth VFL/AFL player to rack up a century of successive games since his debut. Redden can easily go unnoticed with his no-frills style of in-and-under footy. Last year he was fourth in the league in tackles – a stat in which he rarely finishes outside the top five.

Redden said it was "disappointing" to not be playing alongside his best mate at the weekend, but was hopeful of a similar result to his debut. "We got a win in my first game," he said. "I remember kicking a goal. It was all a bit of a blur because I was so excited. Hopefully we can get another win."

1_17GeBL10MW%20941.jpg

Inside Football player rating Rnd 1 Hawthorn Vs Brisbane Lions,

Went head to head with Lewis and lowered colours. 4/10 - Brett Anderson - Inside Football March 27, 2014

Inside Football player rating Rnd 2 Brisbane Lions Vs Geelong,

Huge match. influence was pronounced in first half and kept battling. 7/10 – Ben Casanella - Inside Football April 3, 2014

Really impressed with Reddens improvement this year. His certainly stepped up. A lot of his work goes unnoticed though.

Ranked 5th for total clearances, 10th for total contested possessions and first for total tackles. Averaging 25 disposals a game.

Stat's aren't everything but getting clearances is something he needed to get more consistent at. Looking slimmer, fitter and a bit faster too.

Seems to be playing more outside/in the last couple of weeks and his disposal has improved a fair bit... it's like he is playing Richy's role. Not getting as many tackles on the outside though, but he is dictating play more instead of being as reactive as when he lines up in the contest.

Seems to be doing less tackling and more getting the ball this year. One cancels out the other to an extent, but I think he's taken another step forward in his development.

I'm starting to wonder if Redden is a bit of a downhill skiier. Never thought it before this year but he's really gone missing in our bad losses. Especially early when the game is in the balance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back