Delisted Jacob Allison (2016-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bio:

Former club: Aspley
Height: 194cm
Weight: 79kg
Position: Midfielder

Allison was named an All Australian in 2015 as a bottom-ager after a promising carnival for Queensland as a 17-year-old. His long kicking, athleticism and mobility made him an impressive prospect. He wasn't quite able to replicate that form in 2016, but his size allows him to play a number of roles and positions. Part of the Brisbane Lions' academy, but could draw a bid from a rival club.

The Brisbane Lions have matched St Kilda's bid for Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy player Jacob Allison, taking him at pick #55 at the NAB AFL National Draft in Sydney.

At 194cm, Allison can play in a range of positions, once he finds where he is best suited on the field he can begin to master that role.

Allison was named an All Australian in 2015 as a bottom-ager after a promising carnival for Queensland as a 17-year-old.

His long kicking, athleticism and mobility made him an impressive prospect. He’s got a massive boot on him and has a clean pair of hands.

JACOB ALLISON: 193cm/82kg, 16/04/1998

• Queensland / Aspley
  • Utility
  • Athletic, versatile tall with a penetrating kick has the ability to maximise his strengths and give any opposition headaches.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-11-25/pick-55-jacob-allison

Articles:

EVERY time he sits down with a recruiter, Jacob Allison knows he'll be asked a question he can't quite answer. What does the draft hopeful think is his best position?

"I don't know. I really don't know," the 17-year-old said, repeating the regular response he offers to clubs keen to know where he thinks he'll settle. "I love playing as an inside midfielder, I love the wing, and if I get chucked onto a half-forward or half-back flank I really enjoy that too. To put it down to one position is really hard for me."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-10/versatile-prospect-jacob-allison-hopes-to-join-lions-pride

Jacob Allison is smack bang in the middle of three of the most important days of his life.

He, along with five other Queenslanders, are currently in Melbourne taking part in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Over four days, Allison will be put through his paces – both physically and mentally -in front of all 18 AFL clubs as the lead in to the NAB AFL Draft ramps up.

Allison said while there are a few nerves, it’s an exciting time.

http://www.aflq.com.au/21357-2/

Highlights:

Last edited by a moderator:
Knightmare

9. Jacob Allison (QLD - Brisbane Academy)
Best position: Utility
Height, weight: 193cm, 73kg
Recruited from: Brisbane Lions
Plays like: Robert Murphy
Projected draft range: First to second round
Profile: Allison is a tall utility with a very well-rounded game. Allison has some unusual weapons in his arsenal as a strong contested ball winner, winning more than 50 percent of his ball in contested situations through the 2015 under-18 championships. He is a strong one-on-one mark who often takes multiple contested marks in a game. Allison has excellent footskills, with 55m penetration and accuracy over a variety of distances. Allison is also a high level athlete, boasting a good leap, linebreaking ability, a good burst of acceleration and a willingness to take on the game at speed. Allison also possesses a strong work rate offering good overlap run and working back defensively. Allison's tackling ability also is strong. While versatile, what is lacking with Allison at the moment is a clear best position, as he can play well in several different positions without necessarily making the one role his own. To improve further, he will need to add strength as he still has a light body. That will aid him in one-on-one contests and further allow Allison to improve his contested ball winning ability.

Quigley
32 Jacob Allison
Allison would have to be one of the disappointments of this draft class. He was an All-Australian last year as a bottom ager but he failed to deliver this year, in fact he looked to go backwards. He still gets drafted but where he was widely tipped to be in the top 10 coming into the year he is probably looking at being taken in the 30s now as a best case scenario and potentially significantly lower than that. That is not to say there is not talent there but his performances this year have highlighted major holes in his game.

The two big issues that with his game this year were:

1. He just could not find the ball. He was done no favours by the Allies coaching staff but even still he just could not seem to find the ball. When he was around the ball he seemed to read the play reasonably well but he seemed a mile away from the play too often. I am not sure if he was playing to instructions but whatever, he did not find enough of it this year. Last year he was a lot better when playing on the wing and at half back. I think that is where he has to play at AFL level but even still he needs to work harder spreading and getting to space. This year he played deep forward and some time onball and I just do not think those positions showed his skillset off to best advantage.

2. His hands are nowhere near clean enough to be an inside player. Allison has the size that teams are all trying to introduce into their onball unit and he was given a chance in that role this year. Whilst he did show some decent ability to read the taps his hands were just not clean enough for him to be considered in that role at AFL level any time soon. He fumbled pretty constantly and unless there was a coachable reason for it (eg keeping his head down for a heartbeat longer) you probably have to write off him as an inside option.

The other area which has gone from a strength to a weakness is probably his kicking. Make no mistake the kid still has a cannon of a leg but he just did not hit targets often enough this year. He is still capable of kicking it 60m with ease and I have seen him deliver little round the corner chips from 50 which have gone over the fence. What he has not shown this year is any touch with his long kicks. To make things worse I think his kicks are very difficult to judge in the air. Players seem to constantly run under Allison's long kicks. Players seem to play for a normal player's kick and move forward only to have the ball keep going and floating over their heads. Early in the year he also bought into his own hype by going long with virtually every kick and he was quite indiscriminate in doing so. He did start to look for shorter targets as the season developed. On his shorter targets he occasionally pulled out a bullet that nailed his target but he did too often leave it short and bounce it to his target.

So that is a lot of negativity, why should a team pick him? In short because he is a 194cm, lightning quick player, with a cannon of a leg who can regularly kick goals from outside 50. Getting forward from defence or on the wing, he is a player who can distort zones and create space for his team's forwards. He has conceded that he rested on his laurels a bit over the offseason and leading into the year but personally I still see the upside that was there last year. He finished school last year and the freedom he had for the first time resulted him taking his eye off the ball. Get him into an AFL program and get him focused on what he needs to work on and you could end up with a very good player. He has a very high ceiling.

Allison was the fastest player tested at the Combine running a 2.87 over the 20m. He also showed very good agility for a 194cm player and was in the top 20% for the vertical jump. His repeat sprint was good and endurance testing above average but with attention needed. Combined with his height and leg, his athleticism makes him an enticing prospect which I am sure a lot of coaches would welcome trying to work out how use those very valuable traits to their team’s advantage.

One of the things which could count against him a bit is that he has not settled into a position and made it his own. He has always been a bit of a utility and whilst that can be good it does lend itself to being played in some less valuable roles. This year he played a lot as a deep forward and inside mid in the rep games and I do not think that really suits him. For me he is an outside player you want coming from behind the ball. In addition to his pace and leg, he is also a good mark of the ball on the outside. Allison is also most dangerous, from a goal scoring perspective, when he is running toward goal rather than leading away from it.

When he gets a run at the ball he is strong in the air and given his height and jumping ability he can outmark the small or medium types he is likely to be matched up on. There is some chance that he develops into a key position or third tall but at the moment I think he is most valuable as an outside runner where he is likely to enjoy significant advantages over his opponent. It is worth noting that the one time he was switched into defence at the Div 1 Champs was in the last quarter against Vic Country. Going into that quarter the Allies were behind but they managed to shut down VC and come back to win the game. Allison was quietly influential in that result. If you go back and look at that quarter have a look at his positioning when VC were trying to enter the ball into 50. He was regularly in the right spot and either deterred the entry or influenced the contest. His spoiling and marking were good and his tackling influential. I really like the aggression that he brings to his tackling. He attacks the man and can make things happen with his defensive work.

The floor for Allison looks a lot lower than it did at this time last year. Still, with his upside, I think there will be quite a few teams interested in taking a punt on him if the Lions decide not to match. Given how they traded out of the middle rounds of the draft it is no certainty that the Lions will match a bid on Allison.

Lions skipper can’t prevent Eagles rout
The Lions rested gun youngsters Eric Hipwood, Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry which gave Sam Skinner and Jacob Allison the chance to make their debuts. Fagan said he was thrilled with their first up performances.

Allison got plenty of the footy playing on a wing and his clean heels stood out on the long Subiaco playing surface. “He finished with 20 touches and at different times his speed stood out on the wing,’’ he said. “He still has a lot to learn but I walk away from today thinking there is a bloke who can become an AFL player.’’

Lions set for at least five changes next week
A graduate from the Brisbane Lions academy, first-gamer Allison was one beneficiary of the Lions’ rotation policy and looked to have all the physical attributes of a prototype midfielder.

Standing at 193cm, the 19-year-old provided strong run from outside (11 handball receives), flew for his marks and was neat with his ball use, finishing with 20 disposals at 75 per cent efficiency.

"Jacob Allison came over and played his first game and ended up with 20 touches and at different times his speed really stood out on the wing," Fagan said. "He's still got a lot to learn but I would walk away from today thinking 'there's a bloke who could become an AFL player in time'.

Five talking points: West Coast v Brisbane Lions
5. The Lions unveil more promising cubs
There must be something in the water in Brisbane, given the success of the Lions academy in recent seasons. Graduates Eric Hipwood and Harris Andrews are already among the most promising tall prospects in the country while Ben Keays is getting better by the week. On Sunday the Lions blooded another in 19-year-old Jacob Allison who – standing at 193cm with good speed and endurance – has all the physical attributes of a modern prototype midfielder. Secured with pick No.55 in last year’s draft, Allison had seven disposals to quarter-time playing on a wing, kicked the ball well and leaped for several attempted contested marks. He faded as the game wore on but there is a fair bit for Chris Fagan and co. to work with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we found ourselves another one? Cracking start by Allison and provides some outside run as well. Favourite from last night where he beat two Dogs players for the ball went through the middle of them both and took off. Go Allison!

JACOB ALLISON IS LIVING HIS FAMILY'S DREAM
Jacob Allison is living out his childhood dream, but it wasn’t every kid’s chosen sporting path in Albany Creek. Growing up on the outskirts of Brisbane, the Lions’ rookie faced the tedious challenge of thwarting the other football codes that garnered the popularity up north.

He did try one year of rugby union while he was at school, but that proved to be a fleeting relationship. It was clear that AFL was going to be the sport for the youngster who spent his early years in Geelong before moving to Queensland when he was six.

“I just fell in love with the game and didn’t really care about what anyone else thought,” Allison told AFLPlayers.com.au. “There’s no other sport that I’d want to be playing. I played a season [of rugby union] and it didn’t compare to how I felt running out to play on an AFL field. It was an easy decision for me.”

That decision has proved to be fruitful, with his hometown club selecting him with pick 55 at the 2016 draft. The smooth-moving, clean user showed promising signs as the NEAFL season progressed, and eventually knocked the door down enough to be selected for his debut in Round 19 against the Eagles.

And while players often view their debut as a special occasion for those close to enjoy and attend, Allison’s first game at Domain Stadium had one obvious absentee — his brother — who was spending the same weekend celebrating his 21st birthday.

“I couldn’t get all of my family over there — only my mum and dad were able to come over — but that doesn’t make it any less special,” Allison explained. “It’s an AFL debut and you have to take it in your stride. My brother was kind enough to message me and say, ‘Don’t even think about coming to my 21st, you put your best foot forward in the game!’ He was proud of me and excited that I was playing in my first game. Neither of us had any regrets. “It was unfortunate that Tom couldn’t be there but he was there in spirit.”

Thankfully, Allison’s parents were able to make the journey west, attending his older brother’s 21st on the Saturday night, before jumping on a flight early on Sunday morning to make it to Perth on time.

Despite not having his entire support network on-hand for his debut, the slick winger put his best foot forward with 20 disposals, leading to him keeping his spot in the side the next week. And his No. 1 fan wasn’t going to miss a home clash against the Western Bulldogs six days later. “We were a bit disappointed to not get the win, but he really loved it. All of my family attended and I had a fair few friends there.”

Allison has joined a growing number of Queenslanders on Brisbane’s list this year, but that didn’t always appear likely. They had invested plenty of hours into the raw and athletic local prospect at the Brisbane Lions Academy, but a late push from a Victorian club forced their hand on draft night.

“I went into the draft thinking that I could end up at any club,” Allison explained. “Mum had my bags packed before the draft. I was trying to lay low and not really think about it in the week leading up, and mum was conscious of being ready because clubs were saying that as soon as you’re drafted you’re on a flight within one or two days. She packed a bit for me just in case.

“When St Kilda put a bid on me, I was thinking for a split-second that I was going there. Then for Brisbane to match it proved that they were happy with the player I am and for the time they’ve invested in me. I couldn’t be happier that they did want me.”

The 2016 draft class, which includes the likes of Hugh McCluggage (pick 3), Jarrod Berry (pick 17), Alex Witherden (pick 23), Cedric Cox (pick 24), Jacob Allison (pick 55) and Corey Lyons (pick 71), has the potential to be looked upon as a pivotal haul.

Five of those players selected in the national draft last November have debuted and made an immediate impact for Chris Fagan. “I was unsure leading into the season as to whether I’d make my debut in Year 1,” Allison said. “We’re obviously a young and developing club, but we also have a lot of talent and it’s not an easy team to break into. I was lucky enough to get a game and hopefully I’ve done enough to keep my spot for the moment.”

Breaking into the AFL system is something his dad and older brother had dreams of, but ultimately fell short. His father was involved in a motorcycle accident as a young adult and was forced to stop playing, and his older brother showed promising signs as a junior but eventually succumbed to injuries.

With that in mind, Allison believes he is living the dream for them. “I feel like my dad and my brother are living their AFL dreams through me, and I want to take them along for the ride. I didn’t make it here by myself, so I want to include them as much as possible.”

On the field, No. 37 has been nothing short of impressive in his first two outings. He looks calm and assured with the football in his hands, with his penetrating right foot a key feature of his game.

In his first pre-season, he studied players with similar traits like Grant Birchall and Rory Atkins to see how they move with and without the footy, and to analyse their running patterns. And he’s worked tirelessly on his decision making and skill execution.

“I’ve been working a lot on my short kicking — I feel like I do have a penetrating kick and have the ability to run — but it’s the decision making that I have to continue to work on,” he explained. “It’s about identifying when it’s the right time to kick long or kick short and use the numbers coming through. There’s still a lot of growth in my game that I need to work on and watch other players that do it very well.”

2017 won’t be remembered in Brisbane lore as successful from a win-loss perspective, but it will be recalled for some of the gems they’ve uncovered. And with three games to go, there’s plenty to play for. “We’re looking to finish off the season positively and get off the bottom of the ladder, that’s our goal and it’s definitely achievable.”
jacoballison-760x438.jpg

Hard to understand how he slid so much last year. Looks very comfortable at AFL level without too many deficiencies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back