AFLW Player Taylor Smith (2020-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Taylor made for the Lions

200205_AFLW_Re-Signing_Graphics_Article_Header_Taylor_Smith.jpg

The Brisbane Lions have secured exciting AFLW ruck-forward Taylor Smith in a trade with the Gold Coast Suns.

The Lions nabbed the 20-year-old plus draft picks 37 (Qld 5) and 51 (Qld 7) in exchange for pick 24 (Qld 4).

Smith was drafted as a project player for the Suns’ inaugural AFLW season having only recently taken up the sport but broke through to make her debut against West Coast in round 6.

Her original sporting passion was athletics where she first focused on high jump and hurdles before progressing to heptathlon at age sixteen.

She reached national level in the sport but while in year 12 a chance game of footy for her school, Coomera Anglican College, in the local APS inter-school competition changed everything.

She was spotted by an AFL Queensland talent scout who organised a trial with the Suns’ talent academy.

She also joined Bond University footy club for the 2018 QAFLW competition and quickly fell in love with the game.

Less than two years after kicking a footy for the first time at school, she made her AFLW debut for the Suns having been drafted with a priority pick ahead of Gold Coast’s inaugural season.

Lions AFLW coach Craig Starcevich said he was thrilled to bring another young plyer to the Club, especially one with such exciting upside as Smith.

“Taylor is really versatile and can play in several positions,’’ he said.

“Her athletics background gives her a really good base to come into our program with.

“And she has already shown in this season’s QAFLW competition that she has an appetite to continually improve.’’

Smith, who described the past 24 hours as a whirlwind, said she thrilled with the opportunity to join the Lions and believed the move would see her reach her potential as a footballer.

“It has been the craziest day of my life, it all happened very quickly,’’ she said.

“I was only recently talking to my manager about how can I better my football and then Bree (Brock) called me saying there was an opportunity for me at the Lions.

“I took the chance over the Covid break to work on the things I needed to improve on based on the feedback I’d received from my first AFLW season and I used that time wisely, I think I have taken my game to a new level in the QAFLW this year and I can’t wait to build on that and continue my development with the Lions.’’

Smith Reaches 25 Game Milestone

MicrosoftTeams-image-39-.png

Five years ago, Taylor Smith wasn’t even playing football.

This Sunday against GWS, the former heptathlete will play her 25th AFLW game.

When Smith landed at the Lions through a trade with the Gold Coast Suns ahead of the 2021 NAB AFLW Season, the tall forward had no idea the career that lay ahead for her at the Den.

“Playing one game [at the Lions] would’ve been a dream,” Smith said.

“Having left a Club that I only played one game for, coming [to the Lions] I didn’t expect to play any games, in my first year especially.

“So, to come here and develop so much over one pre-season, and then to play every game that year and win a Premiership, it really showed me that I have what it takes to play at this level.”

Missing just one game since her debut in Round 1, 2021, Smith has quickly racked up 25 AFLW game, and next weekend will play her 25th Brisbane Lions’ Club game.

Over the past two seasons, the 22-year-old has emerged as a formidable force in the Lions’ forward line-up, taking her game from strength to strength over the past two seasons.

PMGCBr22CH404071828.jpg

An impressive debut season that culminated in an AFLW Premiership was followed by an even stronger 2022 season that saw Smith boot a career-best seven goals across 11 games, all while facing some of life’s hardest moments, including the loss of her Dad in late 2022.

Reflecting on her journey over the past two seasons, Smith credits her success to those around her.

“Craig has definitely played a massive role in my development since I arrived at the Club,” Smith said.

“For him and Bree especially even just to give me the opportunity to come here first of all, but also giving me the confidence to know that I’m in an environment that is completely supportive.

“There is no-one here that isn’t supportive. Every single person, every single teammate, every single Coach has contributed in some way to my development and to getting me to 25 games.”

However, there’s no denying the role Smith’s own drive and resilience has played in getting her to her first AFLW milestone game.

“After everything that I’ve gone through in the last year, to still be able to play pretty much every game through that time, and even though I struggle a little bit more now or just as much now, to be able to do that just proves how determined I am to be a good footballer and a good teammate,” Smith said.

“I think it shows my resilience and my determination.

“I’m proud of myself and I hope my Dad is proud of me too,” Smith said.

Taylor Smith will play her 25th AFLW game this Sunday in Round 2 against the GWS Giants at Manuka Oval at 3:10PM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back