Toast Jaensch

Remove this Banner Ad

Before any stupid contracts were given, I would have done this.

Trade, delist and forced retirement should be in the cards.

I hope we don't just take the easy option by trading (or delisting) Lyons and then delisting LJ, SMACK, Graham, Shaw, Siggins, and having Porplizia and Rutten retire. The majority of that list has played reserves thus year and have not impacted on the losses we have had.

The players who have played AFL and not lived up to expectations should be in some trouble and trading them or delisting a number of theses will help rejuvenate the playing list that has not delivered this year. We need to open up a number of spots for the younger guys to fight for and the new draftees coming into the playing squad.

We should try and trade Matthew Wright, Andy Otten, Matthew Jeansch, jarred Petrenko, and Jarrod Lyons for draft picks or players we need.

I would make as many as 14 list changes.

1) Jake Kelly (upgraded) for Brent Riley
2) Charlie Cameron (upgraded) for Jarad Petrenko (trade - 3round pick)
3) James Battersby (upgraded) for Jarrod Lyons (trade - 3rd round pick)
4) James Podsiadly (delist) and replace him with a KPP (our first round pick - 7th to 11th)
5) Shaun McKernan (delist) and replace with a key defender (second round draft pick we could get for trading Andy Otten)
6) Angus Graham (delist) and draft a ruckman
7) Brodie Martin (delist) and draft a speedy wingman with a second round pick that we could hopefully get with an Andy Otten trade. Hopefully we can get a pick between 25 and 35 for Andy Otten.
8) Matthew Wright (trade) for a 3rd round pick
9) Ben Rutten (retire)
10) Jason Porplizia (retire)
11) Matthew Jeansch (trade or delist)

On to the list
Jake Kelly
Charlie Cameron
James Battersby
First round pick (ours)
Second round pick (ours)
Third round pick (ours)
Third round pick (Jarrod Lyons trade 45 to 60 range)
A ruckman

Off the list
Jarrod Lyons
Jarrod Petrenko
Brodie Martin
Ben Rutten
Matthew Jaensch
Brent Riley
James Podsiadly
Shaun McKernan
Matthew Wright.

9 players off and 9 players on.
3 rookie upgrades
3 picks of our own
3 picks via trade (Wright, Lyons and Petrenko)
1 PSD selection.
Siggins in or out? Earlier you say delist but not on final list.
Think you missed an extra 3rd rounder to.
And traded otten twice.
Not a bad effort though.
Prefer to try and get another 2nd rounder.
I'd keep jaensch but can see his you might go about it from your viewpoint. Thanks for taking the time.

Siggins in or out? Eagleton you say delist but not on final list.
And traded otten twice.
Not a bad effort though.
I'd keep jaensch but can see his you might go about it from your viewpoint. Thanks for taking the time.

Siggins stays.

Who is Eagleton?

Otten would stay as I don't think anyone would accept him with the knee injury. However, base the list changes on the in's and outs. not on the 1 to 11 list.

Siggins in or out? Earlier you say delist but not on final list.
And traded otten twice.
Not a bad effort though.
Siggins is a keeper for another year at least. Still young.

Otten won't be traded whilst injured long term.

yet - you have give up on Shaw and LJ.

Why won't you give them time like you insist on Jeansch?
Which part of shaw can't kick don't you understand?!

Which part of lj is not an afl kpp & also lacks intensity do you not understand?!

I hope we don't just take the easy option by trading (or delisting) Lyons and then delisting LJ, SMACK, Graham, Shaw, Siggins, and having Porplizia and Rutten retire. The majority of that list has played reserves thus year and have not impacted on the losses we have had.

The players who have played AFL and not lived up to expectations should be in some trouble and trading them or delisting a number of theses will help rejuvenate the playing list that has not delivered this year. We need to open up a number of spots for the younger guys to fight for and the new draftees coming into the playing squad.

We should try and trade Matthew Wright, Andy Otten, Matthew Jeansch, jarred Petrenko, and Jarrod Lyons for draft picks or players we need.

4) James Podsiadly (delist) and replace him with a KPP (our first round pick - 7th to 11th)
5) Shaun McKernan (delist) and replace with a key defender (second round draft pick we could get for trading Andy Otten)
7) Brodie Martin (delist) and draft a speedy wingman with a second round pick that we could hopefully get with an Andy Otten trade. Hopefully we can get a pick between 25 and 35 for Andy Otten.
9) Ben Rutten (retire)

On to the list
Jake Kelly
Charlie Cameron
James Battersby
First round pick (ours)
Second round pick (ours)
Third round pick (ours)
A ruckman

Off the list
Jarrod Lyons
Jarrod Petrenko
Brodie Martin
Ben Rutten
Matthew Jaensch
Brent Riley
James Podsiadly
Shaun McKernan
Matthew Wright.

3 rookie upgrades
3 picks of our own
1 PSD selection.

Whilst your post has some merit, if we followed your list we would have absolutely no depth at all.

You have listed 6 Players playing today to be cut.

If players like Kelly and Battersby are ready they can still be upgraded, but with your list if we cop a few injuries, we almost have to play them ready or not, or play those that you say "haven't" contributed you our losses because they aren't good enough to get a game.

Keeping those that don't contribute, and getting rid of depth players will see us drop in ladder position.

The dead wood has to go first, then when we can replace them with better players, the fringe players go.

We would also have to pay out contacts for both Pods and Reilly.

It just won't happen, Pods will stay, and so will Jaensch, who deserves to stay.

I'm open to trading Wright, Pets, Lyons, Otten etc, but we would need to trade some players in of similar age rather than all draftees.

4 - 5 New draftees plus new rookies is fine unless we can get low picks.

Wouldn't we be better to remove the guys that offer us nothing, draft in some young guys (can still put Martin, Lyons, Petrenko etc into the above trade group if you think we'll get anything) who could push for a spot on the 22 and in turn push the likes of Pods, Martin, Wright etc out of the 22 and move them to depth?

We become a stronger side imo if those guys are depth players rather then removing them altogether and being stuck with the guys that haven't done anything this year for another year.

Also hard to see us drafting a KP forward and defender who are both capable of coming in and playing in the 2015 season like you've suggested. We might get lucky but it's hard to see them lasting a full season and when they need a rest we won't really have many options to call upon to take their spot.

Edit: Looks like splat beat me to it.

Did anyone else see his blatant short steps in the 4th?

Not that it's fair to single him out; squibbing it (and looking really, really forlorn afterwards) is part of the club culture these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stand by my comments from the start of the year - is not a defender. Absolutely perfect as a depth player in that he has some nice skills but we're only blowing hot air up his posterior because we all assumed he was set for the delist pile and he's proven he can play to an AFL standard. I wouldn't mind seeing him given a crack at a forward role just to see how he goes. Not the long term answer as a defender though.

9) Ben Rutten (retire)

On to the list
Jake Kelly
Charlie Cameron
James Battersby
First round pick (ours)
Second round pick (ours)
Third round pick (ours)
A ruckman

Off the list
Jarrod Lyons
Jarrod Petrenko
Brodie Martin
Ben Rutten
Matthew Jaensch
Brent Riley
James Podsiadly
Shaun McKernan
Matthew Wright.

3 rookie upgrades
3 picks of our own
1 PSD selection.
Lyons is worth more than 45-60 IMO. I am all for trading Lyons and have been for 12 months purely because of our unbalanced list and needs in other areas. But I wouldn't want to do it for pick 45-60. I think there will be a bit of interest for him and I'd want somewhere between 25-35.

His improvement in his defensive acts this year is a credit to him. He has been placed in the back half to provide run and kicking skills, that is the coaches call - which even I didn't agree with - but he has taken on this role and been one of our few improvers this year.
I remember a lot of spoils this year - he is now utilising his closing speed.
Congrats to him and his efforts, now what we need is for L.Thompson or Shaw to step up and have similar improvement to play as the third tall.

Don't think so very similar years. Jaensch more consistent with Smith having the higher peaks.

If you say so.

Smith has been far more damaging and had a greater effect than Jaensch all year - with smith only hitting a slump in form in the past few games. Jaesnch has been far more costly in turnovers at critical moments in games than most of the back 6. They may have comparible stats this year however I think you'd have to agree that what smith does with the ball is far more damaging then what Jaesnch does with it.

Don't rate Jaesnch, never have and never will.

I stand by my comments from the start of the year - is not a defender. Absolutely perfect as a depth player in that he has some nice skills but we're only blowing hot air up his posterior because we all assumed he was set for the delist pile and he's proven he can play to an AFL standard. I wouldn't mind seeing him given a crack at a forward role just to see how he goes. Not the long term answer as a defender though.

Hit the nail there creme.

The problem he has is when he has to use some brain power he goes to s**t - He has a damaging kick, but opts to handball 9 times out of 10 - then again he doesn't exactly have a good structure in place to abide by which also doesn't help the cause.

100% accurate. Is not a defender. Does not run two ways or have the hardness to mind an opponent for a whole game. Good in bursts but can't be played in the same team as Henderson and Mackay without compromising our defensive structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back