Player Watch Jakob Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who watches VFL knows that there are better options. Allan, Ruscoe or Reef would all have been preferable.

Agree with Ruscoe and Reef. I think he will be a player long term but this game wasn’t the right time to try him. But ask to play against the team that could well finish top this season if we don’t.

The pace of the game was new to him. Few mistakes early. Nerves. Etc… fair enough

But for mine lacked a bit of size to compete to begin with… which is crucial for a defender

For Fly’s mantra that he won’t play them until they’re ready… 🤷‍♂️

Ed Allen… who I’ve been wanting to debut for a while now..

He is physically bigger than Ryan.. and could’ve come in and played an outside, less crucial role quite easily

Not to mention Ruscoe being a bigger, more mature option to call upon at this time of year

Chugg like selection decision. However, this was more crucial at this point in the year to look at Ruscoe or McInnes again, who are potentially AFL standard and are physically hardened.
Tried and tested. Not best 23 but ok to use at AFL level.
Not the time for a debutant

Anyone who watches VFL knows that there are better options. Allan, Ruscoe or Reef would all have been preferable.

Allan and Reef don’t play defense?

Playing Reef would have meant Howe goes back and we clearly don’t want to do that.

The first few quarters were quite hectic by the best two teams in the comp. Any VFL player would have looked miles off the pace tonight

I don’t think he was that bad, only played a quarter and a half. He was involved and playing in a defence that had the ball coming in quick from a midfield that was giving up way too many clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just hope the concussion isn’t too severe and he can make a speedy recovery. He has talent but isn’t ready yet.

I understand that they were trying to go 'like for like' but the selection of Ryan seemed like a bit of a hail mary to inject some enthusiasm/energy into the group. He clearly isn't ready for AFL.

Thankfully Cox was given some floor time because it's been fairly obvious for several weeks that Cameron's inability to get hands is a contributing factor to our midfield performances.

Last edited:
I don’t think he was that bad, only played a quarter and a half. He was involved and playing in a defence that had the ball coming in quick from a midfield that was giving up way too many clearances.
Well said Reg.
IQ got his arse handed to him. As did Maynard and most of the defence. And they are way more experienced than him.
The kid didn't have a great debut but the midfield didn't exactly help.
I'm more annoyed with how our experienced defenders performed. And our midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back