Player Watch James Rowe - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer Rowe over McHenry and Murphy just happens to be out of contract and the others aren't. Which is horribly unlucky for him.
The kid loves the Adelaide Football Club and it's really sad he's getting the boot when Murphy and McHenry are still on the list
Love for the club only gets you so far

His ability to get involved in scoring chains when the team is playing well is his strength however his lack of F50 pressure acts to create scoring opportunities is his Achilles heel

Pressure acts for a small forward is key IMO

On CPH2211 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If rowey goes i really hope there is a club out there that wants him.. we need later draft picks.
if we can get a 3rd rounder for him that would be a good get

I’d take Murphy if we were half ok and was choosing based on who is better depth. Still reckon Murphy could be a decent small defender and decent around the stoppages. Rowe is a goal sneak with little goals and zero sneak. C
Yet the list management clowns haven't offered him another contract.

Don’t tell us, tell list management, they’re the clowns that haven’t offered him a contract.

I prefer Rowe over McHenry and Murphy just happens to be out of contract and the others aren't. Which is horribly unlucky for him.
The kid loves the Adelaide Football Club and it's really sad he's getting the boot when Murphy and McHenry are still on the list

Murphy is my pick of the 3. He can actually win his own ball, isn't bullied off the ball like Mchenry/Rowe and can play a couple of positions if needed.

That being said Murphy should still be depth and I don't rate him highly at all.

Rowe vs Mchenry is a nil all draw and it is hard to split who is more useless. Rowe can sometimes do a nice thing but is soft and dives. Mchenry tries his heart out but his output is awful.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rowe is horribly misrepresented on these boards. Played out of position, works his backside off, and is a good user of the ball generally. Deserves another contract.
Rowe is a victim of our determination to not have goal kicking small forwards anywhere near the goals. We took a goal kicker and tried to make him play up the field - taking away his main strength.

It would not surprise me at all to see him go to another club and become a very handy small forward.

Rowe is a victim of our determination to not have goal kicking small forwards anywhere near the goals. We took a goal kicker and tried to make him play up the field - taking away his main strength.

It would not surprise me at all to see him go to another club and become a very handy small forward.
Rowe is a victim of his own doing, he applies little to know forward pressure, and he only hits the scoreboard from the contribution of other players

The best small forwards create scoring opportunities through their own pressure acts, scoring opportunities for themselves, and for team mates..... Rowe doesn't do this at all

I liked the selection at the time, but his career thus far has been quite underwhelming. I was hoping he was going to be a 40-50 goal Hayden Ballantyne pest. Far from it.
Trade now while he has a morsel of value

Rowe is a victim of his own doing, he applies little to know forward pressure, and he only hits the scoreboard from the contribution of other players

The best small forwards create scoring opportunities through their own pressure acts, scoring opportunities for themselves, and for team mates..... Rowe doesn't do this at all

Tend to agree, has the footy brain just not the body to do anything with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowe deserved his opportunity, during a period after Betts, where we were bereft of small fwds .....unfortunately, he's a clone of the way his dad played

Better suited to SANFL, where the role is more stay at home .....definitely Rowe's time is up, at least he gazumped his dads match tally

Rowe deserved his opportunity, during a period after Betts, where we were bereft of small fwds .....unfortunately, he's a clone of the way his dad played

Better suited to SANFL, where the role is more stay at home .....definitely Rowe's time is up, at least he gazumped his dads match tally
Both dont have clean hands and double grab and you cant do that as a small afl forward will be tackled by the time you take possession. His dad said once that is why he got a fair few knocks in the head because he was not clean and tackled a lot.

Murphy is my pick of the 3. He can actually win his own ball, isn't bullied off the ball like Mchenry/Rowe and can play a couple of positions if needed.

That being said Murphy should still be depth and I don't rate him highly at all.

Rowe vs Mchenry is a nil all draw and it is hard to split who is more useless. Rowe can sometimes do a nice thing but is soft and dives. Mchenry tries his heart out but his output is awful.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Both Murphy & McHenry are ordinary close to goal & only decent further up the ground.

Rowe just doesn't have any standout attributes to be an AFL player.

We have better options than all 3 on our list.

If we want a smaller player in the goal square, McAdam, Rankine, Rachele or Gollant Gollant are better options...

Both Murphy & McHenry are ordinary close to goal & only decent further up the ground.
Thats being complimentary too.:drunk:

The best thing that Murphy did in 2022 was staying down when he was taken out in the Showdown.

Thats being complimentary too.:drunk:

The best thing that Murphy did in 2022 was staying down when he was taken out in the Showdown.
We have Rankine arriving, Sloane returning & Pedlar, Taylor & Cook who all have more upside... so Murphy is depth imo.

What's people's thoughts on James Rowe?

I still remember that 2020 SANFL preliminary final in 2020 between Woodville west Torrens and south Adelaide Panthers.

He tore my panthers apart in that 3rd quarter of that preliminary final. I was at that game too.
I think it's his inability to be a strong finisher in front of goal that has hurt in the end.

For small forwards of his size, you either need to be quick, defensive minded or lethal, maybe even a couple of those which he just doesn't have at AFL level. He seemed to be lethal at SANFL level before he was drafted (never seen myself) but has never looked deadly at AFL level. That's not to say he's awful in front of goal but he's not someone you think will punish the opposition when he has it within 40m, at least I don't.

Doggies I could kind of see as their small forwards are basically just midfielders that can't get a game as a midfielder in the Doggies side. Not many have the forward craft and maybe Rowe could look a bit better being in an attacking team that should be in the 8 compared to what he's had to deal with in his time at the Crows.

If you put him in Melbourne's forward line or Geelong's, he is the sort of player that would do really well as there are others who can do the heavy lifting in midfield and he could just concentrate on being a crafty forward

In our side, its all heavy lifting and that is not his gig - he is more a finisher around goal than a hybrid hard tackling two way running mid that can play forward
The 2 things that have disappointed me about him is that he hasn’t taken his chances in front of goal eg set shot misses

And he’s also squibbed a bit in important contests at times

Knew he was slow and wouldn’t be great at applying pressure so was expecting that , at least he tried to improve that this year . It’s the top 2 things that held him back this year IMO

Some of these early calls are interesting. Obviously magnified due to Stengle’s departure.
Imagine how good James Rowe might be in a couple of years!

No, I admit, I underestimated Stengle's pace and power. Rowe's deadly accuracy in front of goal at SANFL level hasn't translated to AFL level and Stengle has also improved this part of his game.

There is no reason Rowe couldn't improve on his physical performance over another AFL pre-season or two and with fitness and confidence, could improve his accuracy in front of goal and therefore be a dangerous small forward at AFL level in the right team. I admit though, I couldn't have imagined Stengle would be as good as he has become this year. Full credit to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back