Toast Jared Rivers

Jared, I just hope you amuse yourself by occasionally checking out Geelong BF, cause between you and HMac you've lifted Geelong to a final 4 team rather than may miss the 8 as was predicted.
Personally I never thought you were that good in the past with Melbourne as you are now with Geelong.
Your arrival was perfect timing.

He was superb yesterday, I questioned his future, more based on team structure than ability, but happy to admit I was way off (again!).

He is really crucial for the intercept mark now Taylor is really focused on curbing the gun forward.

Also thought he was very important for the long kick from kick outs. Dawson and Blicavs are not confident to be that option and he relieved pressure with a number of marks from kick outs.

Goes to show how tough it is to regain touch after injury, with a good run of games he has proven his quality.

Outstanding game from Rivers. Good to see he plays well in front of a big crowd.

I like the boy.

It'd be great for Riv to get a flag before he retires.

Just so you know, he was always this good - it's just easier to notice when he isn't bombarded by I50's.

Also thought he was very important for the long kick from kick outs. Dawson and Blicavs are not confident to be that option and he relieved pressure with a number of marks from kick outs.

Yeah he has done real well in that regard.

No doubt he is going to play a big part in our season. Every bit deserving of his place and if he keeps his form up may well be talked about in All Australian discussions.

Gives us another option back there and just plays the intercept and 3rd man part so well…

Having a injury free run and time to get into synch makes SUCH a difference….

Clap Clap RIV

Go Catters

I've been impressed with the number of marks he's taken this year, particularly in the last two games. Last year I thought he often chose to spoil rather than mark, and was disappointed with that, because he didn't live up to the standard of our intercept-marking defenders.

Perhaps this year he's gained in confidence, both being injury-free and having been at the club for a year, so he's more willing to back himself and go for the marks. Very happy with the way he's slotting in to our defence now.

After fronting up what was probably his poorest game in the hoops against the Hawks in the PF, Riv must have been stoked to demonstrate just what he is truly capable of on Monday.

Showed such clean hands in the marking contests. Could be a massive cog for us in the big games later in the year.

I've been impressed with the number of marks he's taken this year, particularly in the last two games. Last year I thought he often chose to spoil rather than mark, and was disappointed with that, because he didn't live up to the standard of our intercept-marking defenders.

Perhaps this year he's gained in confidence, both being injury-free and having been at the club for a year, so he's more willing to back himself and go for the marks. Very happy with the way he's slotting in to our defence now.
Seems to play very well on the taller opposition players. Didn't panic when in marking contests against Hale, McEvoy etc, and either spoiled well or took some beautiful marks.

He's becoming another 'Mr. reliable' down back for me. Must've been a real buzz for him to play in front of a crowd that size on the weekend too, surely one of the biggest for him?

Seems to play very well on the taller opposition players. Didn't panic when in marking contests against Hale, McEvoy etc, and either spoiled well or took some beautiful marks.

He's becoming another 'Mr. reliable' down back for me. Must've been a real buzz for him to play in front of a crowd that size on the weekend too, surely one of the biggest for him?

Take your point BT, to me he seems to be cool and calm, unfazed in his position and role within the back six, a real professional.
He and Mackie go back, that helps, so there's been a quick bond with the others.

I remember Chris Scott saying they spent a lot of time looking into Rivers character and how he would suit and fit in, and work with the established defenders. I'm sure the fact that he already was really good mates with Mackie and Lonergan has helped with slotting in, trust, and communication down there.
Small thing I noticed was he used to always be side by side with those two while singing the song or walking off the ground... Now he mingles more.
The way he has grown in confidence while fit is a great sign for the rest of the year.

I remember Chris Scott saying they spent a lot of time looking into Rivers character and how he would suit and fit in, and work with the established defenders. I'm sure the fact that he already was really good mates with Mackie and Lonergan has helped with slotting in, trust, and communication down there.
Small thing I noticed was he used to always be side by side with those two while singing the song or walking off the ground... Now he mingles more.
The way he has grown in confidence while fit is a great sign for the rest of the year.
Good pick up, GF. Thinking back to his early games, I recall him hanging with Mackie on more than one occasion. I'm sure you're right about how it's helped him fit in more easily.

I like the boy.

It'd be great for Riv to get a flag before he retires.

Just so you know, he was always this good - it's just easier to notice when he isn't bombarded by I50's.

yep since he debuted has been a very good player, often with a lot less pressure put on the bloke kicking to his opponent as well.

I think this would partly be from the fact he played as a slightly undersized key position defender at the demons, playing on someone bigger than him is not a shock for him, that and he reads the ball beautifully... Very intelligent defender, uses his body and the space well.

I can remember the game late last year against the swans I was impressed with his spoiling in that he was palming the ball down to our players advantage if he could, on Monday at one point 1st quarter he was running back to the square.. stopped for half a second then took off timing the spoil on McEvoy perfectly.... Just a clever clever footballer

One of the remaining mysteries of Geelong's selection decisions and preferred structure over the past few years is why they stubbornly insist on playing four 192cm+ defenders almost regardless of the opposition. Yet it rarely backfires. You watch Rivers play like he did on Monday and you get an inkling why. It just looks horrible on paper but the structure and personnel has been possibly the most successful backline over a sustained period - we're now talking eight seasons - the game has ever seen. Rivers is now a massive part of it.

As I've said before, Rivers was more than a handy forward for Melbourne when required. There will be times when we are crying out for a second tall forward in the absence of Brown or Kersten. I would love to see Riv play forward even if just for a quarter.

I'm glad supporters are seeing what a valuable player he is/will be for us. Picking up Rivers, McIntosh and Caddy in the one offseason was a huge coup for us.

As I've said before, Rivers was more than a handy forward for Melbourne when required. There will be times when we are crying out for a second tall forward in the absence of Brown or Kersten. I would love to see Riv play forward even if just for a quarter.

I'm glad supporters are seeing what a valuable player he is/will be for us. Picking up Rivers, McIntosh and Caddy in the one offseason was a huge coup for us.

Did alright in our trading/drafting at the end of 2012. Not only did we pick up the three you've mentioned, but Thurlow's shown promise in the few games he's played, and Hartman seems to be showing his potential in the VFL this year. Hell, we even picked up Blicavs and Sheringham in the rookie draft that year!

He probably played hurt for most of last season following that early knee injury. Got the feeling he never shook it completely.
Very natural and talented footballer who plays % defence but can swing forward and snag one or two.
Will be pivotal if he keeps this form
Like him a lot :thumbsu:

Yep hope he does read BF now and then. Deserves the accolades he is getting now. Two really good weeks in a row and is growing into the Geelong back 6 very nicely.

Just want to see Thurlow come on now.

Did alright in our trading/drafting at the end of 2012. Not only did we pick up the three you've mentioned, but Thurlow's shown promise in the few games he's played, and Hartman seems to be showing his potential in the VFL this year. Hell, we even picked up Blicavs and Sheringham in the rookie draft that year!

will end up being a star...

He probably played hurt for most of last season following that early knee injury. Got the feeling he never shook it completely.
Very natural and talented footballer who plays % defence but can swing forward and snag one or two.
Will be pivotal if he keeps this form
Like him a lot :thumbsu:
I remember how annoyed I was for the better part of last season, F2G- waiting for HMac to get on the park and annoyed that Rivers just seemed to be a bit of a plodder. Thought he was looking OK before his knee injury but didn't really show much after he came back.

I'm very happy to acknowledge what he brings to our team nowadays- very happy :) His past 2 performances were absolute magic! I'd like to see him kick a few goals (hope he remembers a) which way to kick and b) where the big posts are, after being away from them for so long!)

Back