Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Pfft it was a sarcatic comment.

Cameron and M Crouch are the only "kids" that were up to AFL level early in the season. The preseason training sessions showed that these 2 were ahead skills-wise than the others.

At the moment I am not sure how much the others have developed as I have only really seen the Souths v Crows game. Crouch, Grigg and Lyons were the clear standouts with the others behind them.

Don't get me wrong, I want the youngsters played whenever possible, but gifting games is as bad as "Gold Passes".

The coaches who see the kids in the SANFL each week (this year and going forward especially) have a pretty good idea of who is ready. Satisfying fans' curiosity about "finding out if he is good enough at this level" is not a selection criterion.

Also, Siggins is a long way off AFL at the moment. He'll be 21 on the 20th March. Does that mean we shouldn't play him if he shows good form next year and play an 18yo defender we draft this year, who isn't quite as good so we can shout loudly that "We are playing the KIDS" ?[/QUOTE]
How come so many people here believe that we should be playing the kids? Do they really believe that our kids are better than Brisbane's kids?
Brisbane played their kids. What happened to them?
Would they be happy if we were to get the same result as Brisbane?
It appears to me that the "play the kids' brigade believe that the only players that cannot be replaced by 'The Kids', are Walker, Danger, Sloane and Talia. All the others can be exchanged with 'the kids'.
Well...**** me drunk. I didn't know we had so many first grade KIDS in our team.
The coaches must really hate the kids.

How come so many people here believe that we should be playing the kids? Do they really believe that our kids are better than Brisbane's kids?
Brisbane played their kids. What happened to them?
Would they be happy if we were to get the same result as Brisbane?
It appears to me that the "play the kids' brigade believe that the only players that cannot be replaced by 'The Kids', are Walker, Danger, Sloane and Talia. All the others can be exchanged with 'the kids'.
Well...**** me drunk. I didn't know we had so many first grade KIDS in our team.
The coaches must really hate the kids.
You make it sound like everyone who's ever criticised our selection's because they favoured a younger player is an extremist simpleton, that really isn't the case. I've been disappointed with the non-selection of Lyons in the past but that doesn't automatically mean I want anyone who isn't a 'kid' to not get a game. All I want is for our young players whose SANFL form has been great to be rewarded with more AFL games, and I suspect many feel the same way.

I reckon that is a really good point. I quite like what he offers as a medium forward. I wonder if he could play a Porps role.
hasn't he played a Porps role in every one of his AFL games so far?

he certainly hasn't been full-time in the square...

hasn't he played a Porps role in every one of his AFL games so far?

he certainly hasn't been full-time in the square...
Yeah fair point. I guess we have all convinced ourselves he is an inside mid by trade. Personally I have always had concerns that he just doesn't have enough up his sleeve to be a regular mid, no elite endurance, no pace, average disposal, poor tackler. I can see him developing as a half forward though.

Yeah fair point. I guess we have all convinced ourselves he is an inside mid by trade. Personally I have always had concerns that he just doesn't have enough up his sleeve to be a regular mid, no elite endurance, no pace, average disposal, poor tackler. I can see him developing as a half forward though.
Wrong again SS.

The first half of the year he played as a midfielder in the SANFL but the 30 -40 possessions a week were getting a bit embarrassing so he has played as a high half forward in his last couple of games for the Ravens. (How many of the Ravens matches have you attended?

He is a pure inside mid, he has more pace, defensive pressure and better disposal than Thommo but I guess he must have always been an average midfielder in your estimation.

He will be a better than average inside midfielder in the AFL but most likely for another team. Why does Sando want it both ways? If he doesn't rate Jarryd then he should have traded him last year and Matty Crouch should have 15 games under his belt.

We have to remeber that Lyons' match fitness would be quite low concidering the number of sub appearances and travelling emergency gigs hes been given over the last couple of months. I think yesterday taking this in to account he was pretty good. Give him the next 3 games and I can only see his performances getting better.
Also given all the publicity he would have been under some internal pressure.

Just hope he gets a decent run now.

There is room for both Lyons & thommo as they can be both part of a deeper midfield-forward rotation with Wright dropping out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also given all the publicity he would have been under some internal pressure.

Just hope he gets a decent run now.

There is room for both Lyons & thommo as they can be both part of a deeper midfield-forward rotation with Wright dropping out.
Don't think there's room for Lyons and Thompson. Both really slow and pure inside players. I would prefer Lyons, has better foot skills (not great though), and hits our leading forwards instead if having thommo throw it on the boot

Don't think there's room for Lyons and Thompson. Both really slow and pure inside players. I would prefer Lyons, has better foot skills (not great though), and hits our leading forwards instead if having thommo throw it on the boot
Pretty sure this year that Thommo does more than throw it on the boot.

Wrong again SS.

The first half of the year he played as a midfielder in the SANFL but the 30 -40 possessions a week were getting a bit embarrassing so he has played as a high half forward in his last couple of games for the Ravens. (How many of the Ravens matches have you attended?

You muppet.

We are referring to his AFL career. Do you understand the difference between the AFL and SANFL?

Maybe one of your mates can explain to you how many minutes of his AFL career he has spent playing in the midfield. (Hint: Glenelg is not an AFL team)

As for you assertion that he is a better midfielder than Scott Thompson, you may have a point but I wasnt referring to North Melbournes Full Back.

Not room for Mitchell, Lewis & hodge in the hawks midfield as they are too slow.

Ability to find the ball is irrelevant...

Not room for Mitchell, Lewis & hodge in the hawks midfield as they are too slow.

Ability to find the ball is irrelevant...
Very relevant. We may be able to get away with it except Hawthorn have a lot of pace elsewhere. It all comes down to who you can rotate such players with. Not sure we have the class to really make the comparison.

While I want to see the youngsters come in the fact remains that Scott T has been massive this year for us. Even with missing last game he is like 3rd or 4th in the Merv Agars medal.

Very relevant. We may be able to get away with it except Hawthorn have a lot of pace elsewhere. It all comes down to who you can rotate such players with. Not sure we have the class to really make the comparison.

Betts, Cameron, Mackay, Smith, Hendo.

We aren't that slow - we appear slow because of too many talls.

Betts, Cameron, Mackay, Smith, Hendo.

We aren't that slow - we appear slow because of too many talls.
Hawthorn kill teams with their spread. They would be a fair bit quicker than us on average I reckon.
I dont really think think our tall forward line has that much affect on our ability/inability to spread. For a few minutes yesterday it looked like Brisbane were going to tear us apart with run and spread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back