Delisted Jason Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, was thinking that exact same thing. People worried about his kicking action for a bloke only having started kicking a ball recently would be really worried about watching Hickey then.

I think Holmes is a really exciting prospect and I reckon it is great that we are taking a risk on him as the pay-off could be huge.

See, the thing is ... there is no risk. He's not costing a draft pick, a list spot or cap room.

If he turns into a six foot nine tap ruckman who can occasionally clunk a goal from 50 off a mark, great.

If he turns into something more, brilliant.

If he doesnt, you're not out anything significant.

See, the thing is ... there is no risk. He's not costing a draft pick, a list spot or cap room.

If he turns into a six foot nine tap ruckman who can occasionally clunk a goal from 50 off a mark, great.

If he turns into something more, brilliant.

If he doesnt, you're not out anything significant.

Yeah, you're spot on. Probably should have use the word "punt" instead of risk as it really is pretty much a free hit.

He looks like he has a nice kick, I'd guess due to his previous experience as a punter. He is also a lefty :thumbsu:

I don't think they pick up punting until very late (normally the players that don't fit anywhere else, Punter might be able to help)

Did laugh when they compared him to Buddy after kicking 3 straight. Has Buddy ever done that?

For me, his nickname can be TT for Twinkle Toes. That stutter run up!

If he makes it, he will be a cult hero.

All good seeing the skills & physical tests, :thumbsu:

But what we want is a guy who has the right attitude, work ethic, ability to 'learn' quickly & team attitude.

The most important being determination & persistence (ie Stynes RIP).

Not saying he does or he doesn't, but what will give him every chance to succeed in the AFL are those qualities - which won't be measured this week.

BigFooty should sponsor 'Johnny Wadd' next year if we end up sponsoring another player!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on the bloke for giving it a try:thumbsu: and good on StKilda for taking a chance and trying something different:thumbsu:
but international recruits have far more misses than hits. If he plays more than 2 or 3 AFL home & away games i will be extremely surprised:eek:
He cant really be compared to Mike Pyke as he was already playing a type of football at the highest level before jumping codes.
Hope im proven wrong.

INTERNATIONAL St Kilda rookie Jason Holmes has stunned the Saints with the improvement in his skills in the short time he's been with the club.

"We've been delighted with the three weeks he's been at the football club with just how much he's improved his skill base in that short period of time through having daily access to skills training," head of football Chris Pelchen told AFL.com.au.

"I think it's surprised most of our players just how athletic he is for a guy who's 202cm.

The Saints will be patient with their tall prospect, who has been earmarked as a ruck/forward option and has used Aaron Sandilands as an example of the type of player he wants to emulate.

He is expected to start with Sandringham in the VFL in round one, where his athletic ability will be on show as he develops skills that players around him have possessed for much longer.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-01/holmes-at-home

Awesome, would love to see him take to the game and dominate, but then we would have Hickey and Longer sitting there that cost us good picks. We'd feel a bit silly then.

I could live with that. Apart from anything else we could trade one of them if we felt they were surplus to requirements and hopefully get something decent in return. It may also end up that Holmes proves to be more useful in a key position, either up forward, or down back, rather than in the ruck, due to his athleticism and mobility.

I could live with that. Apart from anything else we could trade one of them if we felt they were surplus to requirements and hopefully get something decent in return. It may also end up that Holmes proves to be more useful in a key position, either up forward, or down back, rather than in the ruck, due to his athleticism and mobility.

I figure he'd be a Forward/Ruck and then one full time ruck out of Longer and Hickey, who both have areas they need to work on, but at 21 and 22 (?) you have to give them another few years before judging too harshly.

Really? We'd be sillier not drafting enough of the right players and ending up with nothing.

Yeah gotta agree, id be OK with Spencer White not getting a game because Tom Lee and Rhys Stanley are kicking bucket loads of goals every week.
but in an ideal world White turns it on and kicks 50 goals in his first season :):)

Anyone else see his brother fire up against the cowboys?
I had the day off friday, got a tattoo in the arvo, but watched the nfl in the morning.
Got excited for andre, cant wait to see what jason can do over here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back