Delisted Jed Adcock (2003-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

He had a great football brain and excellent defensive instincts but he lacked the pace or penetrating disposal that could have taken him to the elite category. I can't remember who I heard it from but when Mark Harvey came to the club he was asked to give a warts and all analysis of our list... apparently he said Adcock (even at his best) was a vanilla player that other teams put absolutely no planning into. You knew he'd take your best small forward regardless but he wasn't going to hurt you much on the rebound.
That's quite interesting that Harvey made that assessment. Would have to agree with it, do you have any links talking about those assessments? Would be interesting to look at with hindsight.

Looks like Jed's gonna be another ex Lion player doing the coaches rounds...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...dock-to-retire-from-dogs-20160825-gr0p6q.html

Western Bulldogs veteran Jed Adcock has announced his retirement, with the former Brisbane skipper to pursue an AFL coaching career.

Adcock, 30, joined the Bulldogs as a rookie ahead of the 2016 season after he was delisted by the Lions after 206 games.

He has played seven matches with the Dogs - the last in round 19 - and will remain available for senior selection during the club's finals campaign.

"Although its only been one year, I've learned a lot both as a player and from a coaching standpoint," Adcock said.

"I'm ready to move on to the next phase of my life and career, which includes pursuing coaching at AFL level."

Adcock was a second-round pick at the 2003 draft and went on to captain Brisbane in 2013 and 2014.

Adcock returns to the Den

Jed Adcock will make his Brisbane Lions homecoming.

The former captain will return to the Club in a coaching capacity with his role to be finalised in the coming month.

Adcock, who played 206 games for the Lions, said he felt he still had a lot to offer to the Lions’ young list.

The 30-year-old finished his career with the Western Bulldogs this season as a member of their VFL Premiership team.

“I’m really, really excited to be back,” said Adcock.

“I think the year away has done a lot of good for me – I probably learnt a lot about myself and a lot about footy and probably where the game is at now and what it takes to really get there and play in a premiership side. Even though I didn’t play in the game it was still great to be part of the club.

“Hopefully I can pass on some of that knowledge and the learnings from that to support the Club.”

Adcock met with Senior Coach Chris Fagan in Melbourne to discuss the role and what he can offer to the Club.

“We’re really pleased to welcome Jed back to the Lions,” said Fagan.

“As a former Club captain, he knows what it takes to mentor a group of young guys. After a year away at the Western Bulldogs, and with a VFL Premiership under his belt, Jed will only bolster our coaching group.”

Adcock, who is completing a coaching course in America, will begin his role in November.

Bit of a surprise.

We saw Harding pull on the boots occasionally. Not sure how that worked in terms of Harding not being on our list. I think Jed would have something to offer as playing coach of the seconds. Just speculating.
I'd like that if Jed was to be a permanent 'top up player' & captain coach of the twos.

We saw Harding pull on the boots occasionally. Not sure how that worked in terms of Harding not being on our list. I think Jed would have something to offer as playing coach of the seconds. Just speculating.

I'd be happy for that to happen. Love Jed.

Didn't the NEAFL rule Harding out from playing in the end?

Stoked to have him back at the club! Personally I was hoping we would steer clear of hiring ex players as coaches as I wanted new people with fresh ideas(Although if there was one person I'd be willing to make an exception for it'd be my favourite player Jed Adcock!) but if Chris Fagan has interviewed him and is happy to bring him on board that is good enough for me. I reckon Chris Fagan would see Jed as a prime candidate as someone he can develop and mould into a quality coach due to the fact that Jed is young and has leadership experience. One thing you can't knock Jed for is his passion and love for the club(made even more evident by his return so soon) and he will give this his absolute all!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the Bulldogs helped shape Lions stalwart
IT WAS an offer too good for Jed Adcock to refuse.

Less than a year after he had been told his playing days at Brisbane were over he was being invited back as a coach.

After hanging up the boots once and for all after a final season with the Bulldogs, the 213-gamer admits he jumped at the chance to be a part of the Lions' new off-field team as an assistant under head coach Chris Fagan and football manager David Noble. It was a chance to try to help resurrect the flagging club where he spent more than a decade.

"When I spoke at the best and fairest in 2015 I said it would be nice to come back and I knew the club would always welcome me back," he told News Regional Media. "I just don't think anyone actually thought it would be so soon."

After discussions with Fagan's predecessor, Justin Leppitsch, Adcock had packed up his entire life and with his wife and two young children headed to Whitten Oval, where the Bulldogs were keen on his leadership qualities.

"At that stage we didn't leave here thinking it would be an 11-month trip to Melbourne," he said. "It's funny how things turn out. "But I spoke to Fages and Nobes and they were keen to get me back. It was an easy decision."

Adcock admitted it felt a "little surreal" walking back through the doors at the Gabba. "It was different, but it was also home," he said.

Adcock brought with him the experience of being involved in a magical year at the Bulldogs under coach Luke Beveridge. Talk about right time, right place, with the club breaking a 62-year premiership drought.

Adcock only added seven senior games, the last in round 19, but still felt part of the success. And he was a member of the Dogs' VFL flag.

"It was just nice for me to experience a different environment, see how a different club goes about things on and off the field ... especially for a player who wants to get into coaching," the 31-year-old said. "Bevo and the Bulldogs were terrific for my development. You couldn't have chosen a better team to go to with the year they had ... and the way they changed the game a little bit."

Quick ball movement, particularly by hand, was a feature of the Dogs' attacking style now being employed by the Lions.

"But I'd imagine most clubs are doing the same thing," he said. "Some clubs are doing it better than others at the moment. "There's obviously some different ideas in terms of game plans (since the previous Lions regime). "You'd hope that the fans are starting to see we're playing a little bit differently than we have in the past." Adcock has total faith in Fagan and what he can achieve in Brisbane.

"The fundamentals of the coach are still based around the relationship, being able to communicate, being able to teach," he said. "Fages does that really well. He has a teaching background. He's obviously been in the game a long time, and been at a very successful club (Hawthorn). "He knows the best way to get inside the players' heads and understand what they are thinking and feeling."

Adcock has also been impressed by the attitude of the players, especially those in their first and second year.

"It's a real pleasure knowing you're going to get effort and intensity and passion every session," he said. "And that's so far translated into the games. "The first and second-yearers, the work ethic that they've got, the want to compete week in, week out, it's a credit to the players themselves and a credit to our recruiters who did the work and found some really good kids."

Adcock still has a soft spot for the Bulldogs and wishes them the best - but just not today, when they host the Lions at Etihad Stadium. "I've got some really fond memories, even though it was only a year," he said.

Well, 11 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back