Pick 33 in the 2003 National Draft

7358764512_cd34f272c7.jpg

Summary:

* GPS data (#47)
* 50th game (#56)
* 2007 review (#93)
* 2008 review (#156)
* added to leadership group (#160)
* tibial plateau fracture in right knee (#233)
* 2009 review (#266)
* left quad injury (#284)
* third metatarsal fracture in left foot (#301)
* 100th game (#313)
* 2010 review (#320)
* birth of daughter Lily Rose Adcock (#335)
* 2011 review (#394)
* wedding with Hayley Opel (#399)
* restricted free agent (#421)
* 2012 review (#457)

Contract status: 2013 - 2015

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2004: 32nd (1 vote)
2005: 3rd (45.5 votes)
2006: 21st (15.5 votes)
2007: 2nd (62.5 votes)
2008: 10th (29 votes)
2009: =11th (29 votes)
2010: =25th (6.5 votes)
2011: =4th (32.5 votes)
2012: =7th (25 votes)

Coach's votes:

Tribunal record:

* round 2, 2011 - first offence for wrestling ($1200 reduced to $900)
* round 18, 2011 - making forceful contact from front on (125 demerit points, reduced to 70.31)

Does he train with the midfielders or defenders at training? :confused: Is he likely to play and beat the small forwards as he has done in the past?

Yeah sorry. I tried to copy n paste the Lions profile the other week and it wouldn't work for me so I got frustrated, gave up and obviously forgot to come back to it... But Here we go.

JED ADCOCK

Guernsey Number: 7
Height: 184cm
Weight: 84kg
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Debut: 2004
DOB: 15/11/85

CAREER BRIEF

Previous Clubs: Maryborough (Vic)/Nth Ballart Rebels
Draft Details: No.33 – 2003 National Draft
Joined the Lions: 2004
AFL Debut: Lions v Kangaroos (Telstra), Rd 7, 2004
AFL Finals: 0

CAREER HISTORY
When it comes to assessing Jed Adcock's second year as a Brisbane Lion, raw statistics can do a lot of the talking - one of only three Lions to play all 22 games, fifth spot in the AFL's Rising Star award and the eighth most disposals at the club.

And just in case those number's don't do Adcock's 2005 justice, there's plenty more evidence of his impressive development. Like successful stopping jobs on Phil Matera (twice), Adem Yze and Gary Ablett, plenty of dash out of defence and some limpet-style tackling on opposition forwards.

When Adcock took his place in the Lions' line-up for the Round 1 clash with St Kilda, it was only his third senior game. By the time he wandered out onto the Docklands for Round 22's meeting with the Saints, it was his 22nd straight game and his 25th overall.

So impressively did Adcock come on in 2005 that he was, by season's end, considered an integral component of the Lions' defensive unit. Respected commentator and Rising Star judge Kevin Bartlett rated him the competition's second-best emerging player, behind only Richmond's Brett Deledio, while Rod Austin and Kevin Sheehan had Adcock ranked third.

The pacy utility has certainly come a long way since arriving at Lions from the Victorian country town of Maryborough, as the 33rd pick of the 2003 National Draft.

"It's pretty surreal when you first get up there and especially going to first training session and seeing Vossy and Aka walk by and Leigh Matthews. Do you talk? What do you say?," was how Adcock remembered his first few days as a Lion, when addressing the audience at the Rising Star lunch in Melbourne.

Adcock may have been a little unsure of himself back in those early days, but - if his on-field performances are any guide - he ought to be a lot more comfortable in his surroundings now.

A handy contributor through the first four games of 2005, he really came into his element in Round 5, when asked to stand dangerous West Coast small forward Phil Matera. The Lions went down by 73 points but, despite the Eagles' dominance, Matera wasn't a major factor, managing only one goal.

The Matera match-up, Adcock said, helped provide him with the confidence to continue to mature as an AFL player.

"When I played on Phil Matera, that was when the coaches really showed faith in me to play on an All-Australian player," he said.

After his success against Matera, Adcock really kicked on. He shut down Geelong's much-vaunted Gary Ablett, shackled highly-skilled Demon Yze and curbed Fremantle's Jeff Farmer, just when the unpredictable goalsneak looked like breaking the Round 11 clash with the Lions open.

A season and career-high 22 possessions against Carlton in Round 12 earned him his Rising Star nomination and his level of contribution did not drop off towards the end of the season - even when he was struck down by groin trouble.

The seeds for Adcock's outstanding year were sown in 2004, when he showed some good signs in the first two games of his AFL career and with the reserves in the AFLQ.

Adcock gathered nine possessions and kicked a goal on debut in Round 7 against the Kangaroos at Telstra Dome, and also played in the big loss to Fremantle in Perth in Round 9.

Around that taste of elite level football he was a regular standout with the Suncoast Lions, particularly in the first half of the season.

Quiet but with a determined, steely resolve, Adcock excelled at three different sports as a youngster.

Growing up in Maryborough, that's of Victorian ilk not Queensland, Adcock successfully turned his hand to athletics, basketball, and AFL.

As a 10-year-old he was the third fastest sprinter in Victoria over the 70m, 100m, and 200m. By the time he reached 12, Adcock had swapped the sprinting spikes for the high-tops and made his way into the underage Victorian basketball team.

That was a combined Vic Metro and Vic Country outfit - no mean feat. But what started out as a bit of fun at Auskick as a seven-year-old eventually turned out to be his career choice.

He was ultimately taken by the Lions in the 2003 National Draft, after showing plenty of promise at all sports.

[FONT=&#48148]밒 quit (athletics) after the year I came third at states. I quit to focus on basketball because that's when I played for Victoria,'' he said. [FONT=&#48148]밫
[/FONT]hen I focused on that and quit to play footy which started as a muck-around initially. I've always played cricket but not at a higher level.''

Adcock has not totally wiped the idea of returning to the basketball court if things don't work out in his AFL career. Despite his love of basketball though, not wanting to risk any unnecessary injuries, Adcock will leave the round ball alone.

[FONT=&#48148]밄
[/FONT]asketball is easily one of my favourite sports, and if I ever got the chance to play it I would now. If it wasn't for footy, I'd go and pursue basketball,?he said.
[FONT=&#48148]밒
[/FONT] started playing basketball when I was five and ended up playing for Ballarat, so we travelled there for five or six years.

[FONT=&#48148]밒
[/FONT] played until I was about 16 then found it was too hard playing both (basketball and AFL) and I started getting better at footy and obviously had to focus on that.

[FONT=&#48148]밫
[/FONT]hey've both been close together in terms of what I like most, but I just felt there was more opportunities with football.''

And that has proved to be the case so far for the former North Ballarat Rebel.

The 40-minute trek from Maryborough to Ballarat became a regular journey for
Adcock and his family, combining the two sports through his teens. A regular travelling buddy was close mate Troy Chaplin, who just happened to be snapped up by Port Adelaide at No.15 in the draft, giving Maryborough two draftees from its population of 8000 people.

[FONT=&#48148]밯
e travelled everywhere together,'' Adcock said. [FONT=&#48148]밯[/FONT][/FONT]e always shared the
trip ?one night his parents would take us and the next night my parents
would take us. The town is pretty big on AFL.?br>
Playing for the TAC Cup's Rebels fast-tracked Adcock's development, with a 15-year-old Adcock mixing it with players three years his senior. While a daunting prospect at the time fronting up to more physically dominating opponents, Adcock agreed it was a necessary evil for his career.

[FONT=&#48148]밒
t was tough,?he said. [FONT=&#48148]밫[/FONT][/FONT]hey were all wearing full beards and stuff. It was a bit of
a wake-up call. But the next year when I played, I knew what to expect.?br>
Adcock captained the Rebels in his final year, giving a leadership edge to his aggressive game.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
Vic Country Under 18, 5th AFL Rising Star Award 2005.

[/FONT]

Adcock tests his limits
4:11:17 PM Tue 28 November, 2006
Andrew Browne
Sportal for afl.com.au
In his first full year in 2005, Jed Adcock finished third in the Brisbane Lions club championship following a stellar season on the backline where he was one of the only three players at the club to play all 22 games.

The other two were fellow defenders Chris Johnson and the controversial Mal Michael who has been making news of his own recently after retiring only to discover a new lease of life with Essendon.

Adcock had approached 2006 with plenty of confidence but received a setback with a dose of osteitis pubis which required surgery and had him on the back foot with regard to preparation.

He recovered to play a couple of pre-season games before tearing his quad, putting him out for seven weeks.

After one reserves match he re-injured the quad five minutes into the round nine clash against Fremantle on a warm Sunday afternoon at the Gabba and was forced to sit out another seven games.

The 21-year-old, told afl.com.au he has learnt from experience what his body is capable of and admits he was perhaps feeling a little too confident about his fitness.

"I had not even torn a muscle before so the quad was new," explained Adcock.

"Despite a little bit of back trouble and the osteitis pubis I never had any trouble with my leg muscles so perhaps I was oblivious to that and it caught me a little bit surprise.

"We don't know the reason why it went, but it is a lot stronger now and I'm working to make it stronger so it doesn't happen again."

Adcock eventually recovered and was pleased to play the final six games of 2006 averaging a healthy 22 possessions. But he was naturally disappointed about how the year unfolded for both himself and the club.

"I was happy with the way I ended the season by playing some good footy," he said.

"I was just disappointed the team was not in a position to make the finals at that stage."

Adcock's motivation for next year is simple - to think more about preparation and recovery after games.

"Maybe last year I didn't do as much as I should have or could have done in that area," he conceded.

"You don't think you have your spot in the side but some people might think because you play at that level you know where you have to be instead of pushing yourself to be better.

"I don't think that's necessarily the case with me but I thought I knew my body better than I actually did."

The Lions' 2006 injury-toll has been well documented and everything is being done at the club to ensure there's no repeat.

According to Adcock, all the players are excited about having the best 22 players available and seeing what they can produce.

"We all want to see what the best 22 for Lions are capable of and no-one is sure who they are because over 40 different players have played the last two years," enthused Adcock.

"A lot people say we have been downhill for the last couple of years, but we still do have an experienced group at the club and the new guys are coming through," he added.

After missing 14 weeks this year and with 2007 looming Adcock senses he is back at square one, but says he is ready to return to the backline if that is where he is required by coach Leigh Matthews.

"Everyone wants to play in a position where they feel the most comfortable or they play their best footy," he said.

"Growing up that was the midfield and I am working towards that here, but if I move up to a back flank and get used sparingly on the ball then that is OK."

Adcock on being drafted (November 23, 2004)

Drafted, now the big move

November 24, 2003

Two boys from the same Victorian country town face new lives at different interstate clubs. As Emma Quayle reports, it's the way of the AFL national draft.

After Brisbane recruiter Kinnear Beatson drafted Jed Adcock with the 33rd selection in Saturday's national draft, he took him for a late breakfast. Adcock sat with Beatson for more than two hours before driving home to Maryborough. But yesterday, he could barely remember a word that was said.

"There was all this talk about all these things and it was a bit weird, breakfast at 1pm," said the teenage defender, who last visited Brisbane as an eight-year-old on a family holiday and will start his new life as a Lion next week. "I was trying to listen, and trying to eat. I can't remember anything anyone said."

Yesterday, Adcock remained mostly overwhelmed. And just a little tired, having celebrated first with his teammates from the North Ballarat Rebels, and later with his Maryborough mates. The 18-year-old spent Saturday night at a friend's place and driving home yesterday morning was struck with the sudden thought that this should not be happening.

"When I got in the car I just thought about Brisbane and was probably wishing it was a Melbourne club so I could still drive home and see everyone now and then," Adcock said. "It will be a good move for me. I'm just still getting used to it."

He is not alone. Of the 52 teenagers drafted on Saturday, 38 must pack their bags, farewell families and board planes for strange cities before taking their next step in dream-completion. Eleven Victorians were selected by out-of-state clubs, including six members of the Country Victoria team that won this year's national championships.

Among them was Troy Chaplin, whose life first intersected with that of Adcock at primary school and in the Maryborough under-13s. Now, it will continue at the opposite end of the country, in a Port Adelaide guernsey.

After breathing his sigh of relief before the end of the first round, Chaplin was in a back room at the draft waiting to be interviewed on television when his mother rushed in with his mate's fate.

He felt less frazzled than his friend yesterday and, having travelled with various basketball teams and to Ireland with the AIS-AFL Academy last April, is confident he knows enough about life away from home to survive in the "big, Bendigo-type town" that is Adelaide.

"It takes a while to hit you. At the draft I was looking at all the kids in Fremantle and Melbourne clothes and I thought to myself, 'I'll be wearing a Port Adelaide top - hang on, that's Adelaide, that means I have to leave home'," Chaplin said. "The real time I think it will sink in is when we're at the airport, leaving."

Adcock will also fly out for an initial, pre-Christmas stint next week, although the recent discovery that he had suffered for most of the season with glandular fever and a liver infection means he might take things slightly easier at first.

Before then, he and his parents will have Beatson around to their house to hear a little more about relocation, boarding, training, studying, part-time work, and all the rest.

"I think that's why it feels like a blur so much, because there's all this information," Adcock said.

"You think it through all the time but then you'll just be talking to your mates and out of nowhere you think, 'hang on, I'm moving interstate'.

"That's the hard part. When you're hanging out with all your friends you just think, I have to leave all these people and start a new life."

As do, in a different way, those who are left behind. Adcock is the youngest of Jenny and Paul's three kids - "and the dumbest, but I'll be earning all the money now".

One sister, Jacqui, studies forensic science in Geelong and the other, Kym, is at Ballarat University. Adcock hopes having watched the girls move out will help his parents cope quickly without him, although it may well take time.

"My mum got a bit emotional yesterday. I didn't see it but I took my best mate to the draft with me and he said she started crying a bit," he said.

Kathy Chaplin's instinct when she heard her boy's name called by the Power was to think, "you little ripper", and to enjoy Troy's widening smile. She thinks it's a good sign he will be fine, and that she will be fine without him. "He'll have his times and he'll be on the phone.

"I don't think it will be every night of the week or I'll be saying to him, 'stop ringing us up, concentrate on what you're doing and get stuck into the footy'," she said.

"A couple of calls a week and I'll be pretty happy. But I think he's just going to love it."

adcockqg0.jpg

Link

Rising Lion: Jed Adcock

Profile by Scott Heinrich
FOXSPORTS.com.au

JED Adcock is at the forefront of a new breed of Brisbane Lions players ready to lead the club to the next level.

Picked up at No.33 in the 2003 national draft, Adcock was ushered into the team’s defensive set-up after the following year’s grand final loss to Port Adelaide.

In 2005 he showed what a precocious talent he was by featuring in each of the Lions’ 22 minor round games and finishing fifth in the AFL’s Rising Star award behind Richmond’s Brett Deledio.

Although not overly tall at 184cm, nor particularly bulky, Adcock is athletic and adept at shutting down mobile forwards with his pace and close-marking style.

Hailing from country Victoria, Adcock showed genuine promise in basketball and athletics before settling on Australian football.

adcockqi5.jpg

Link

Adcock up in air for opener

Andrew Hamilton
February 20, 2007 11:00pm
Article from:

HIGHLY rated Lions defender Jed Adcock's bid to erase the memories of 2006 with a solid NAB Cup campaign will go on the line at training tonight.
Adcock managed just eight games last season and must overcome a sore back and train at full pace tonight to be considered for Saturday's season opener against St Kilda in Cairns. He is desperate to take his place in a new-look Lions side that will have multiple captains – Simon Black, Luke Power and Chris Johnson – and is likely to include gun West Aussie youngster Matthew Leuenberger.
TAB Sportsbet has the Lions rank $41 outsiders to win the NAB Cup, but their chances in the opener appear fair with the Saints missing Nick Riewoldt, Aaron Hammil, Matt Maguire and Lenny Hayes.
Adcock limped off the ground late in last Friday's intraclub scratch match at Coorparoo after copping a knee in the back and was unable to train on Monday.
Coach Leigh Matthews said the knock hadn't done any serious damage and he was hopeful Adcock would train and press for selection.
But he said the 21-year-old's injuries were a concern.
"I'm afraid we're all getting too used to seeing Jed limping off, because he's a real high-quality player," Matthews said. "He's kept doing things to himself. He only played half a dozen games last year and he wasn't fit because he had that quad problem.
"If we can get the continuity of training and playing out of him he'll be a really good player."
The 33rd pick in the 2003 draft burst on to the scene in 2005, playing all 22 games and finishing third in the club's best and fairest.
Although primarily used as a defender throughout his 32 games, his pace and decision-making had him earmarked for a run in the midfield.
But last year he was forced to watch as elevated rookies Scott Harding and Cheynee Stiller, and draftees Michael Rischitelli and Matthew Moody, made the most of opportunities in a severely depleted and outgunned Lions.
Adcock severely tore a quad muscle in the final training session before the Lions flew to Victoria for last season's round 1 clash with Geelong.
He was initially out for six weeks, returned for two games but the injury recurred, keeping him out for another month. After two weeks in reserves and one as an emergency, he was back in seniors for the final six games but was never fully fit.

adcockul6.jpg

Article

Adcock blow

Andrew Hamilton
February 25, 2007 11:00pm

Article from:

LUCKLESS youngster Jed Adcock will undergo scans today on a possible broken leg that threatens to ruin another AFL season.
The courageous but injury-plagued defender limped off the field late in the third term of Saturday night's seven-point victory over St Kilda in Cairns.
Although just 21 with only 32 games, Adcock is tipped widely as a future captain of the club but his run with injuries is becoming a concern.
Adcock has won admiration from everyone at the Lions for his bravery but coach Leigh Matthews, himself once a fearless competitor, has started to question whether he should play the game with more caution.
"Sometimes your bravery is beyond your physical capability to survive," Matthews said.
"Sometimes with players who attack the ball so gung-ho hard, the question is if you keep hurting yourself, well, discretion becomes the better part of valour.
"He just plays so bravely and his body takes a pounding."
Adcock managed just eight games last season after tearing a quad muscle in a training session on the eve of Brisbane's round 1 clash with Geelong.
He was out for six weeks and returned for two games before the injury recurred, keeping him out for another month.
He returned via the reserves for two weeks and was then named as an emergency before forcing his way back into the seniors for the final six games.
This year has started in a similar fashion. He suffered a knock in the back in the intraclub scratch match 10 days ago and was in doubt for Saturday's clash.
He forced his way into the side by training well last Wednesday but could now face an indefinite period on the sidelines.
Adcock's anticipated presence this season had allowed Matthews to experiment with using the silky-skilled Chris Johnson as a burst player in the midfield and a set-up man across half-forward.
But if today's scans determine an absence of a couple of months, Johnson's poise and decision-making will be needed to bolster an inexperienced defence.

adcockzb3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thankyou for updating with the link POBT. I've been caught up trying to make the most of my last days of holidays before *sigh* resuming at uni this week.

Great to see he has pulled up ok instead of continuing his bad run of injuries into the new year.

Link

Young Lion leading charge to restore lost pride

• Dan Koch
  • April 14, 2007
IT may seem strange but young star Jed Adcock insists it was during the dying moments of Brisbane's loss to Carlton in the NAB Cup final that he became convinced the Lions were back.

Over the past two seasons, Brisbane has not been a happy club, with constant off-field controversy and disastrous on-field results fracturing a playing group divided by those with and without premiership medallions. But even when the game was out of the Lions' reach, heads remained high, the talk stayed positive -- something Adcock said the team addressed during a meeting at the start of the pre-season to establish the standards expected of every member of this new pride of Lions.
When asked if the mood of the club differed from last season, Adcock was brutally honest. "It is," he said. "It is something we are trying to focus on this year. We thought if we are happy, then we will still be playing good footy.
"We did a lot during the pre-season trying to make this group one and bridge the gap (between the premiership players and non-premiership players) and I think we have done that.
"In my four years at the club this is as close a group as I have been part of."
While he has not earned the accolades of fellow young guns like Justin Sherman and Michael Rischitelli, within the confines of the club he is seen as a leader.
When coach Leigh Matthews was looking for someone to lead a backline, robbed of more than 1000 games' experience following the departures of Justin Leppitsch, Mal Michael, Darryl White, Martin Pike and Brad Scott in recent years, he turned to Adcock.
"I believe that you can be a man at 20 and a boy at 30 and certainly, Jed is a man at a young age," Matthews said of the impressive 21-year-old.
"At the moment he is probably leading the backline, along with Robert Copeland.
"We missed him most of last year through injury, but he is a very, very good player, we think."
After a stunning 2005 season, in which he played all 22 games and finished third in the club's best and fairest award, Adcock, who is from Maryborough in Victoria, managed just eight appearances in 2006, frustrated by two serious quadriceps strains.
However, Adcock is looking at it as a blessing in disguise, with the break enabling him to rid himself of a host of other niggling problems and complete his first full pre-season since arriving at the club as the 33rd pick of the 2003 national draft.
A former Victorian athletics champion, Adcock entered this season preparing for a move into the midfield. But Matthews said Adcock's ability to control the Lions' defensive set-up out of a back pocket and direct Brisbane's play like a quarterback, hitting targets across half forward with pinpoint accuracy are too important commodities to risk by moving him into the crowded surrounds of the midfield.
"When you get a very good back third player, you play him in the back third," Matthews said.
"It's like David Wirrpanda and Tadhg Kennelly and guys like that. He is a very good defender, who can play on smalls, he can play on guys slightly taller. He has good composure, good competitiveness."
After two good wins over Hawthorn and St Kilda in the opening two rounds, Adcock and the young Lions face a major step-up in class this weekend when they lock horns with the Swans in Sydney tomorrow.
The 2005 premier will go in favourite, with many pundits still not convinced Matthews has managed to re-invent his team in just 18 months.
However, with Richard Hadley set to make his return from injury, Adcock said there was a quiet confidence within the Lions camp -- one which he believes will drive them to finals football this season.
"I think we all felt about halfway through our pre-season that the new structures we had in place were right and that we were a bit better placed that a lot of people outside of the club probably realised," he said.
"Playing the Swans in Sydney is certainly going to be difficult. It's one of the biggest challenges in the game and it will be a good chance for us to see where we are at."

adcockyt0.jpg

160 the past week.
Could very well be captain in 5 years.
I met him at the family day in melbourne a month or two ago. Great bloke making time for everyone and making that bit more of an effort. Making all the little kids feel important. It was great to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back