Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

The same Eddie McGuire who jumped up in a fancy restaurant and screamed "Justice has been served MAYNARD IS FREE TO PLAY!!!!" after he ended the career of Brayshaw
Early in his career as Collingwood President and his many media gigs he was considered PM material - yes that’s Prime Minister! His many ‘foot in the mouth’ comments certainly put paid to a political career. But you never know!

Last edited:
Early in his career as Collingwood President and his many media gigs he was considered PM material - yes that Prime Minister! His many ‘foot in the mouth’ comments certainly put paid to a political career. But you never know!
Do you think it would’ve crossed his mind?

Early in his career as Collingwood President and his many media gigs he was considered PM material - yes that’s Prime Minister! His many ‘foot in the mouth’ comments certainly put paid to a political career. But you never know!
Well if trump can get in once and even twice, there’s hope for Eddie yet.

An insightful long article in the age re Jeremy finalyson. It covers a lot of sensitive issues and imo posters should be sensitive in what they might post. Moderators please be aware.

Their paywall locked me out

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ame-over-homophobic-slur-20240430-p5fnov.html

WWOS seems to have poached most of the article and can be accessed. He talks extensively about his remorse and learning from the experience.

"Every day I wish I could take it all back," Finlayson told The Age.

"It's hard to talk about even now, and I don't know who I've hurt or how many people. I have family members who are gay and friends who are gay.

"I've reached out to them all to try to explain I just said something so wrong in the heat of the moment."

Finlayson became the first AFL player to be suspended for using a homophobic slur, receiving a three-week ban.

The 28-year-old professed the days following the incident had been "muted", compelling him to reflect on his behaviour and attempt to make amends for the harm he had caused others.

Finlayson revealed he addressed the club's AFLW coach Lauren Arnell — who is in a same-sex relationship — and tried to explain his behaviour.

It kind of slipped my mind that we do have an AFLW team now with a vast amount of queer players and staff. All the people saying "it's just a word, get over it, world's gone soft" and s**t like that might have also had that slipped their minds as well. Those players put their bodies on the line for our club and have to work other jobs while chasing their footy dreams and getting paid peanuts compared to their AFL counterparts. Glad he reached out to Loz at the very least, he seems genuinely remorseful obviously and it's just a shame the situation was leapt on by people who wish bigotry was still acceptable when the guily party himself has even admitted he made a huge mistake.

All of that is absolutely true, but let's not think male and female issues of LGBT representation of sport is the same. I've not heard of women having that word said to them. It's a specifically male slur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of that is absolutely true, but let's not think male and female issues of LGBT representation of sport is the same. I've not heard of women having that word said to them. It's a specifically male slur.
Edgie, I'm trying to remember but didn't you crack a lesbian joke about the AFLW a couple of months ago?

I thought it was funny so what do you do.

Listening to Hinkleys press conference it didn't sound like Finlayson was a lock to come back in. Only that he was in the squad?

It won't surprise me if Finlayson is a late change for tonight's game, either that or he plays for the Maggies as he has missed enough footy already and he has to play somewhere.
If he does play for the Power the team needs to get around him and show their support as much as possible.

As for the booing, it's inevitable he is going to cop it for at least the rest of this season regardless of the oppo, so he is either going to cope with it, or succumb to the pressure.

As for those doing the booing, you can bet London to a brick a large percentage of them will have hurled similar insults, or worse to numerous gay people over the years, but that won't suit their narrative and mob mentality will take over!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back