Solved Jill Meagher Murder: Bayley Appeal Rejected

Remove this Banner Ad

Bayley has apparently won the right to legal aid for an appeal.

Send in the work experience kid?!

Although I hate it

I must admit it is the reason why our nation is as wonderful as it is

Appeal ??

******* APPEAL ??????????????????????????????

oh THIS campaigner !!!!!!!!!!!!!....................

If he somehow sees this - BE A MAN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR LIFE AND TAKE YOUR MEDICINE SONNY JIM !!

The legal system in this country is a disgrace.

Should be no mercy and death penalty for c***s like that.

He got 43 years non parole that's a fairly hefty wack, some of the foundations of the legal system are the right to a fair and impartial trial and the right to an appeal if we decide to pick and choose who gets to appeal then the whole system falls apart.

As s**t as it is and as much as everyone (rightfully) hates the bloke he is still entitled to his day in court where i'm tipping he gets laughed out of the building

He got 43 years non parole that's a fairly hefty wack, some of the foundations of the legal system are the right to a fair and impartial trial and the right to an appeal if we decide to pick and choose who gets to appeal then the whole system falls apart.

As s**t as it is and as much as everyone (rightfully) hates the bloke he is still entitled to his day in court where i'm tipping he gets laughed out of the building
This is a bloke who'd been at it a large number of times before this case. So he is not entitled to his day in court. He learned nothing from when he was locked up in the early '90s, nor any other time he got himself in strife before 2012. He is entitled to being held down while somebody castrates him and somebody else shoves a roman candle up his arse.

whats worse is the fact that a defense barrister acted pro-bono for this scum of the earth.. Impartial Im supposed to be, but reading this makes my skin crawl

I just read the judgment. The Court of Appeal doesn't always get it wrong, especially in recent years, but it's hard to argue against in this case. There were real issues with the ID evidence.

It's pretty moot anyway, given the length of his non-parole period. Goodness knows what the parole system will be like in a few decades.

whats worse is the fact that a defense barrister acted pro-bono for this scum of the earth..

Hardly. That was entirely appropriate in circumstances when it was apparent that there were real issues with the conviction.

The real issue is that Legal Aid caved to public pressure and refused to run it in those circumstances.

I just read the judgment. The Court of Appeal doesn't always get it wrong, especially in recent years, but it's hard to argue against in this case. There were real issues with the ID evidence.

True, the law must be impartial to bias and misrepresentation and judge each person on the facts presented

Hardly. That was entirely appropriate in circumstances when it was apparent that there were real issues with the conviction.

My words were in anger at the way he has been permitted to commit crime after crime, but yes - every person must retain the right to legal representation, even if we dont always agree

Mods are the referees of the forums ensuring that everyone plays by the same rules. We should remain impartial to discussion - whether it be pro or against and base discussions supported by facts

Mr McNamara said it sent the wrong message to victims that they don’t get fair treatment in the courts. He said the prosecution should have run its case differently so that the “ivory tower” of the appeals court would have been unable to uphold the appeal.

It infuriates me when people who have absolutely no clue try to take pot shots like that.

The only way to run the case was on the ID evidence. That is evident in the judgment, not least the fact that they entered verdicts of acquittals rather than sending it back for retrial. Without that evidence, there was nothing.

Take pot shots at the system, or the court of appeal which has made some terrible decisions (some of which have got no media coverage despite significant effects, because they aren't headline-grabbing topics), but not at the people who are doing their best to run difficult cases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adding to the tragedy, we are up in arms about the legal rights of a convicted murderer and rapist. Where was the right for Jill and other victims to be safe from this monster whilst out on parole?

I'm not saying a bunch of vigilantes should have stormed the jail and strung him up but it would have been fantastic if our soft system didn't provide the opportunity for further attacks. Soft sentencing and soft parole laws indeed.

Soft sentencing and soft parole laws indeed.

Unfortunately (in the victim's case) the law must be impartial to both the accused and victim. If the Judge on an action on the case does not uphold the fact of law regarding evidentiary requirements within the legislation of the crimes act, then the Court has failed in its role as the referee to ensure that all play by the rules of the law. A judge is bound to legislation and cannot create new law in that aspect, only in common law does a judge inadvertently create (new) law and is bound by precedence (unless they are a Justice of the High court)

Unfortunately (in the victim's case) the law must be impartial to both the accused and victim. If the Judge on an action on the case does not uphold the fact of law regarding evidentiary requirements within the legislation of the crimes act, then the Court has failed in its role as the referee to ensure that all play by the rules of the law. A judge is bound to legislation and cannot create new law in that aspect, only in common law does a judge inadvertently create (new) law and is bound by precedence (unless they are a Justice of the High court)
Agreed. The courts need to re-write these laws so that anyone similar in future is everything but strung up in Fed Sq. ie. life in jail until death.
A true life sentence.

Last edited:
The courts need to re-write these laws

nah...The Courts do not amend/re-write legislation - advisory groups to politicians do.. So we need Donald Trump to be our next Prime Minister so we can build a wall around the entire coast line and bring back waterboarding... ;)

nah...The Courts do not amend/re-write legislation - advisory groups to politicians do.. So we need Donald Trump to be our next Prime Minister so we can build a wall around the entire coast line and bring back waterboarding... ;)

Thanks for correcting. Whoops!

Or the NT's ex Chief Minister? :D

If we were a communist society he'd have been jailed for minimum 25 years hard labour on first offence, and likely never re-offended.

Capitalism needs its monsters to distract regular folk.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...y/news-story/92af60bc621038a27e5b5016bb9c25fc

I know that [Bayley] was sentenced to five years for an indecent assault, of which he did 20 or 22 months, and then fronted back in court charged with raping six women in St Kilda,” Davies recalls.
“Each of those rapes carry a maximum 25 year sentence. He was given a minimum period of eight years, which works out I think about 14 months per rape.
“Had he been given even a cumulative 25 years — the maximum for one, not for the six, but one — then a further 13 (or) 15 women would not have been raped and Jill Meagher would still be alive because Adrian Earnest Bayley would still be in jail”

Not entirely new information tho, for anyone who followed the case/knows his past convictions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back