Moved Thread Jobe watson - just a good player, never elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes.

IMG_0487.jpg

That's a screenshot I took of someone else's post from a while ago detailing just how out of the ordinary his performance was during the regime.

It doesn't get any more compelling than that.

Except Brownlow votes aren't a great measure of performance.

That patch of footy isn't even the best Watson has played. His first 7.5 games of 2011 before injury was the best patch of footy he's ever played by reasonable margin imo.

Averaged over 30 touches and kicked 13 goals.

My all-time favourite Bomber, so admittedly, I am biased.

Over the whole, Jobe was very good to great, but I would not consider him elite. That tier is reserved for GAJ.

From a very low base, with a lot of hard work he became a very good inside midfielder with some elite periods of play.

Sadly, he will never escape being associated with the saga, but like other posters have said, his start to 2011 was his peak period of play.

Last edited:
Any posts that deliberately ignore Jobe's career body of work in order to cast aspersions over his ability as a player because of a supposed performance spike in 2012, while simultaneously ignoring that there was no performance spike in any of the other players who were on the SAME program, many of whom are playing to a significantly higher level now, belong in the bay.

We got pinged because we may have used a supplement which has very little evidence of performance enhancement.

How can we measure performance spikes?...By brownlow votes?

If jobe was getting all the 3 votes, how were his team mates going to 'spike' at the same time when only one player from two teams can recieve 3, 2 & 1 points.

Since Jobe was 'stealing' much of the brownlow points already, we should measure this 'spike' through team-based results. I guess the start of the season's win loss ratio tells the tale there. Then came the soft tissue injuries....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent player, although I didn't rate him for a while after he started, he was a terrible kick.

Probably not going to be a popular opinion on here, but I like him and feel sorry for him.

Let's face it. He is going to be remembered as an overrated drug cheat.
No he isn't. It's only people like you that focus on the constant negative. Someone does something to an incredibly high standard 8/10 times and you'll focus on the 2/10 actions to judge them. Get over yourself.

Jobe Watson was one of the best inside ball winning midfielders for Essendon who worked his backside off to make it. He copped his whack for the 2012 saga, moved on, and now age has caught up with a very good player.

How can we measure performance spikes?...By brownlow votes?

If jobe was getting all the 3 votes, how were his team mates going to 'spike' at the same time when only one player from two teams can recieve 3, 2 & 1 points.

Since Jobe was 'stealing' much of the brownlow points already, we should measure this 'spike' through team-based results. I guess the start of the season's win loss ratio tells the tale there. Then came the soft tissue injuries....
So Jobe is the only person in the world that tb4 works on. Makes sense. You should do a researxh paper

Name better during his prime years.

Players I think were better centre square players in Jobe's draft year and two either side

Shaun Burgoyne
Kane Cornes
Luke Hodge
Chris Judd
Jimmy Bartel
Nick Dal Santo
Sam Mitchell
Gary Ablett
Dane Swan

Around the mark

Daniel Kerr
Luke Ball
James Kelly
Leigh Montagna
Matthew Boyd
Adam Cooney
Scott Thompson
Brett Deledio
Ryan Griffen

Surely you'd be wanting to do better than battling for 10th-odd place among guys drafted a couple years either side of you to be considered one of the best of your generation?

No he isn't. It's only people like you that focus on the constant negative. Someone does something to an incredibly high standard 8/10 times and you'll focus on the 2/10 actions to judge them. Get over yourself.

Jobe Watson was one of the best inside ball winning midfielders for Essendon who worked his backside off to make it. He copped his whack for the 2012 saga, moved on, and now age has caught up with a very good player.

lock thread.

Feel sorry for him. Should be remembered as one of the best inside mids this decade but will be remembered for losing his Brownlow and being the onfield face of the scandal. "Face" might be extreme but he was their best and highest profile player and he doesn't get the chance to resurrect his career post the scandal like a Hurley or Heppell. I fear that's what he will be remembered for.

Very good player with amazing vision in traffic. His peak was too short to be considered elite though. More of a club champion rather than a HOF worthy player.

Yeah at his best he was very very good. Injuries ruined him and it was unfortunate that his peak was during the supplements saga. Deserves a better memory than that.

I'm not sure people that went to offsite clinics to get injected with whatever, signed contracts to keep things silent, and never mentioned it to the Players' Association when they were an absolute leader in their club, deserve a better memory...

#heknew

Last edited:
This has just turned into another bash Essendon thread for the drug saga and call Jobe Watson a cheat.

****ing pathetic.

Close this bullshit down moderators if you're any good at your job. Don't sit back until posters lose their cool then snipe them off with infractions and days off.

Call it for what it is, a troll thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back