Retired Jonathan Brown #2 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I thought he was starting to get his touch back yesterday, actually. First time I had seen him take a contested mark properly in around a year or so. He had his first preseason proper in around a decade and has just now started to strong a few games together. I actually think he's coming back on remarkably quickly.

Round 6 vs Essendon

Brisbane are now 2-4, with skipper Jonathan Brown's two goals and 21 touches one of few bright spots as he gathers match fitness following his pre-season facial injury.

jonathanbrown.jpg

Agree, the last 2 games we've been pretty average with our ball use going forward, and i think considering the ball coming in, Brown has looked pretty damn good. I Think it's more of a case of our midfield just isn't up to par, but by the time it is, Brown will be gone. It's going to be a very hard last year or 2 for Browny. I think, depending how he goes this year, he will assess himself as to if he is up for another year. The game is getting faster, and he did comment that over the past 2 years with the footy he has missed, it nearly feels like the game has past him by.

He is still great as a contested one on one marker, and i think he has value for us as a more stay at home FF, similar to a Lynchy, but we need bigger better targets to take over his work load around HF. I think for his first few games back, he has been in good touch considering, and he has improved in each game. Way too early to write him off, but i wouldn't rule out Browny pulling the pin at the end of a long year.

Discussions about Browny's retirement time-frame are to be expected but based on his performance yesterday, it seems ridiculous that it is occurring in this context. Browny was arguably our best player, or if not, certainly in our best. He ran hard, contested hard and delivered the ball with poise and composure. Probably, his only weakness was missing at least one goal he should have nailed. In terms of presence, he was the consumate captain. He was up and about, using voice and clearly mentoring some of the cubs. His days of providing defensive pressure are probably gone but this is something the team should be able to compensate for.
I am non-plussed about suggestions that he needs to retire, if based on yesterdays game performance. I think these posters need to look for a different 'whipping boy' from yesterday...

Yeah I really can't see where the retirement factor is coming from. I thought he is working his way into the season ok. Put him in a team with a functioning midfield and nobody would be calling for his departure. Seriously people.

Yes you can argue his defensive pressure is not elite but as far as I am concerned he is not going anywhere just yet.

Look, I started this based on my observations from last night's game. Ok I agree maybe I've jumped the gun a few weeks too early, and hopefully he is just building to peak performance and I'm wrong. But I'm sorry he just looks really slow, he's defensive pressure is far from elite and should not be dismissed.

No-one is disputing what he brings to the table and what a hole he will leave in the team upon retirement, but there is nothing wrong with a healthy discussion on the subject which I believe for the most part this has been.

Anyway I think Brown himself will know when to retire whether it be the end of this year or sometime after.

Wouldnt be surprised if there was a clause in there somewhere, either way that gives him 09, 10, 11, 12 and next year. So one more year...

Might be a clause, not interested, he'll pull the pin in his time. Not sure where this talk or what this is based on..Gees I'd put him as one of our best yesterday. I'd prefer him to be played closer to goal ...when we do get the ball it works out that there's no one home and holding possesion becomes a problem... too many times our forward fifty is sparce. But I'm only spectating ..As far as leadership is concerned yesterday I heard him giving a few on the ground a spray..scary!!

I can see where you are going with this, but when has his defensive pressure ever been elite?

Correct. But my point is, he is getting slower and the game (especially as played by teams like Essendon) is getting quicker. Also it's difficult as we introduce young forwards like Ace and Karnezis - to whom defensive pressure does not come naturally - to expect them to cover defenders running off Brown.

Forwards like Brown you don't care about the defensive pressure. They are elite in the other aspects, and that makes up for it. It can however, affect the make up of the rest of the forward line as you hinted too. Although to be honest, the work rate and effort we've needed from players like Ace isn't all to do with defensive running, it's just part of it.

I think the fact that Brown draws at least 2 opponents that basically counts as defensive pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Redden

Redden also hopes to see the Brown of old after the skipper's best game yet since returning from facial fractures - a two-goal, 21-disposal effort against Essendon. "There's three games now under his belt, he is finding his feet after being a bit underdone in the first few (back)," Redden said.
"He is finding his game fitness now after a few good grabs and good goals (against the Bombers)."

brown129.jpg

Round 8 preview

Can Jonathan Brown get enough supply to kick goals? The Lions captain has kicked just eight goals in five games this season, and as much as teams like a spread of goalkickers, the Lions need Brown to fire. But with an average of just 45 inside 50s per match, the big man is getting few opportunities.

brown134.jpg

Round 8 vs GWS

Brown had a huge day himself, running Giants' counterpart Phil Davis ragged over the four quarters. Short of goals in his five games this season, Brown ran tirelessly and worked his way into some prime form, taking 16 marks and kicking five goals.

7231756790_08699d1ea3.jpg

Link

Jonathan Brown was back to his best with five goals while Merrett ended up with seven of his own - outscoring the Giants singlehandedly.

Brown dominated proceedings with a showing reminiscent of some of his best outings in front of the Lions faithful. The powerful forward had 16 marks, 15 kicks and eight handballs while Tom Rockliff showed class with 36 disposals and three goals.

Michael Voss

Merrett's forward line partner Brown has also had a lean stretch, kicking eight goals in five games before playing the Giants, but Voss said he thought a bigger haul was in the offing if he got more service.

"You've got to have some footy coming in clean and I wouldn't say that's been a strength of our game," he said.

"As a result when we did get a bit of ball use going the forwards become dangerous."

Link

NOT since the days of Daniel Bradshaw and Jonathan Brown have the Brisbane Lions had two such potent forwards on one afternoon.

Merrett had 23 disposals, 12 marks and seven goals. Brown had 23 disposals, 16 marks and five goals.

Not only did they kick a bagful each, but the pair often looked for each other deep in the Lions' forward 50 to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Twice in the first quarter Brown spotted the red-hot Merrett with precision passes that led directly to goals.

Link

Brown got better as the match wore on as he torched Giants co-captain Phil Davis in their one-on-one match-up. If he was not kicking goals, he was setting them up and guiding the Lions to their third win of 2012 in front of 16,049 spectators.

Phil Davis

"From my point of view it was a great learning experience, especially for (the) future," he said."It's always good when you get to play on the best players. When you play the best players and their whole team is playing well it makes the challenge even harder.
"Jonathan is a very good runner and it makes it a bit harder when the ball moves so quickly. He reads the play so well and when he goes, he goes with such speed and he's a very aggressive player. (He has) a great work rate (and) is very smart, so basically he's just the whole package.
"It was great to play the whole game on him and I enjoyed the challenge. It was a tough day, but a good learning day."

7240122758_a13216e498.jpg

No fear on Jonathan Brown's career
  • Jon Ralph
  • May 25, 2012 12:00AM
"I love playing footy and it's been a pretty disappointing last couple of years. So I am just so keen to string some games together. I haven't put a timeline on it, but I would like to play for a few more years. That's where my head is at," he told the Herald Sun.

"On the weekend to play the majority in the forward half was good, to get some shots on goal. It was good to get dangerous on the scoreboard. That's where forwards get their confidence, getting marks inside 50 and kicking goals. I feel like I am just starting to free up with my movement and get across the ground well. I am feeling really comfortable again."

7261934872_26b135ae7c.jpg

Michael Voss

The familiarity that Brisbane is starting to find is reaping great benefits for the Lions, and particularly captain Jonathan Brown, who booted five goals last week for the first time since 2010."It has been difficult to tell exactly what form (Brown) is in because we haven't had much fluency in our ball movement," he said.
"It's no surprise that when we get that happening it makes thinks a lot easier for our forwards."

7261957898_b25064e940.jpg

Unfair to scrutinise players' courage, says Jonathan Brown
  • Jon Ralph
  • May 25, 2012 12:00AM
JONATHAN Brown, widely acclaimed as the league's toughest player, says criticism of the courage of players is unfair.

"I am sure every footballer can admit they have gone through their career and at times shirked contests, and it has altered the way they have gone about contests," he said. "But for players to get marked over one contest is unfair."

"Scrutiny has made players braver than ever. If you shirk a contest, you are going to be copping it for the whole week and sometimes that can stay with you for your whole career. That's why players are over-the-top brave now. There is no way you can be soft in this league."

7262106290_0a85cfaea8.jpg

He was born in the wrong era, Jonathan Brown.

Can just imagine him as a gunslinger in Deadwood, standing at the bar, sharing his wisdom with the townsfolk...

'If you shirk a gunfight, you'll cop it the whole week and it can stay with you your whole life. Prospectors are over the top brave now. There's no way to be soft in this town' *sips whisky and stares into the distance*

Round 9 preview

Brisbane skipper Jonathan Brown's return to form is worryingly timed for a North Melbourne AFL side with a point to prove at Etihad Stadium on Sunday. While Brown missed the two clubs' most recent clash, he has dominated other recent meetings, earning three Brownlow votes as best afield in the Lions' past two wins over the Kangaroos.
With Daniel Merrett and Brown having combined for 12 goals in last round's win over Greater Western Sydney, they pose a major threat to a North outfit that has shown some defensive frailty.

7271369578_77828a9a94.jpg

Round 9 vs North Melbourne

Emerging defender Luke Delaney kept Brisbane skipper Jonathan Brown to two goals - even taking on the fearsome forward in one of several melees which dotted the match.

7278110450_e43c4283b0.jpg

Link

When Cameron Delaney was crunched late by Jonathan Brown after taking a mark at the 20-minute mark of the first quarter, elder brother Luke flew the flag for North and the Delaney family. Rushing to remonstrate with Brown, who was his direct opponent, Luke sparked a 24-man melee.

7279760508_51565277af.jpg

Luke Delaney

''Personally I didn't have great game last week. I got a fair few kicked on me. (Brown) works hard and he's bloody strong, so I just tried to stick with him and keep him as high up the ground as I could.''

7279760362_17dc670069.jpg

Link

Jonathan Brown could have picked a better man to knock down with a late bump. Brown's hit on Cam Delaney drew a 50-metre penalty, but then he had to deal with elder brother Luke Delaney, who also was the Lions skipper's opponent. Brown found himself flat on his back with Luke on top of him. An all-in brawl ensued, doubtless leading to a few thousand dollars in AFL fines.

7279809446_d2e568ae47.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back