Past Josh Drummond (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Link

The Lions' defensive and midfield stocks will be bolstered with the likely availability this week of Josh Drummond, who injured his knee against Collingwood in round 17

this better not be a next week... no the week after... no the week after thing..

we need Drummo!

our kick in efficiency was WELL DOWN v the Kangas, we were only let off because they were poor.

we arent going to face poor opposition too many more times this season.

God I hope he's back in time for the Swans.

They slaughtered last time because of our inaccurate kick-ins.

Remember that horrible patch of 10 mins of so in the 4th quarter at the SCG where we just couldn't clear it, without it coming straight back at us?

I don't want to relive that again.

I think there is quite a bit of football that is influenced by general impressions - With Drummond in the side i feel it is not just his skills compared to the player he replaces that are visibly higher, but those around him seem to be hitting more targets, etc.

With the inexperience in our backline, IMO we need Drummond playing to play our best football...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Drummond was selected after completing training on Thursday night, but Matthews admits the decision is far from final.
"He has been ticked as uninjured, but he has had a very bad month's preparation so they are the factors you take into consideration when we have to make our selection decision," Matthews said.
"We'll keep that under advisement.
"He's done all he needs to do to be able to give us as much information as possible about the go-forward, so it is a judgment call."
Drummond is one of Brisbane's best users of the footy and, given his form this season before he was injured against Collingwood, is the match committee's first choice.
But with a season hanging by a thread, they cannot afford to take a gamble if he is not 100 per cent.fit
"He's the defender you want to have the ball in his hands," Matthews said.
"His offensive work out of defence, his ability to kick the ball in after a behind – he plays a very important role.
"But you can only play if you are right and again there is a slight question mark. Is his injury completely healed?
"What we do know is he didn't run until last Tuesday so he hasn't had great preparation.
"There is a reticence. You want him in if he is fit and well but we're not quite sure how fit and well he's going to be."

Link

Key Lion returns to hound Cats

Nick Smart
30Aug07

ATTACKING defender Josh Drummond has declared himself a definite starter for Saturday night's showdown with Geelong after powering through a Lions training session yesterday.

Brisbane will be bolstered by the return of the long-kicking Queenslander, who has not played since round 17's thumping win over Collingwood, because of a lower leg injury.

He was in sensational form at the time of the injury and his absence has left a big hole in the Lions' defensive structure.

The Lions have badly missed his run out of the backline, but the 24-year-old said he would be right to go against the Cats.

"The leg is going pretty well.

"It has been awhile coming around but it is starting to feel good and hopefully I will get a game on the weekend," he said.

Drummond was named for last week's match against the Crows in Adelaide but replaced in the side by Chris Scott.

He was nearly right to play but the coaching staff decided not to rush him back too early.

"I was pretty close.

"It was a combination of missing three or four weeks and I was lacking match fitness. It was a risk going in when you put those things together," he said.

"With this sort of injury you have to tread a fine line and not overdo it. But it seems to have come good now and I have turned a corner."

Drummond's development this season has been outstanding and he was an integral part of the Lions' late season resurgence.

However, injury has never been far away for Drummond.

He has managed only 10 senior matches this season and is working hard to ensure 2008 will be a injury-free season.

"It has been frustrating but I am hoping the luck will turn," he said. "I am putting in the hard work to get all the back stuff right and the hamstring strong so I guess if I do all that, the luck will change.

"Hopefully I will play a full year next season."

The Lions have not conceded their finals chances but realise it is an unlikely prospect.

Even if they beat ladder-leaders Geelong on Saturday night, they need Collingwood to beat Adelaide and lowly Richmond to defeat St Kilda.

Drummond said the team had to focus on the Cats and not worry about the other results.

"If this is our swansong for the year then hopefully we finish off the year on a good note.

"Some say Geelong don't have much to play for because they are cemented in that top spot but for us there is a possibility of finals. I rate our chances against them because we play our best footy against teams that play quick one on one footy."

drummondza8.jpg

Link

Josh in Maroons’ Team of the Year
12:00a.m. 11 September 2007

Sunshine Coast born and bred AFL star Josh Drummond has been rewarded for a strong finish to 2007 with a place in the newly inaugurated Queensland Team of the Year.
With more than 50 Queenslanders now playing in the elite national competition, but State of Origin not having been open to the Maroons since 1993, AFL Queensland wanted to begin a tradition and reward its top players by selecting an annual all-star team.
The 22-man side was revealed at the AFL Queensland Awards dinner in Brisbane last night, where Drummond’s name was read out as one of the side’s two half-back flankers.
Such is the spread of Queenslanders through the AFL that only seven Brisbane Lions were included in the Team of the Year.
Drummond played 11 games, mostly through the second half of the year after an injury-interrupted pre-season consigned him to five reserves games with Suncoast before finally getting a chance.
He took it with both hands, showing the same kind of form as he did in 2005 when he was elevated from the rookie list to play 15 games.
So good was Drummond, particularly his kicking ability, that superstar and Brownlow Medal fancy Jonathan Brown described him as being close to the most valuable player in the line-up.

Link

Side picked despite Origin limbo

Article from: The Courier-Mail
Andrew Hamilton
September 11, 2007 12:00am

THEY are all dressed up but do they have somewhere to play?

The AFL is still to decide whether Queensland will field a team when State of Origin footy returns next year.

But the AFLQ has no doubts Queenslanders deserve recognition and has decided to annually select its team of the year.

The 22 players announced last night will be represented with a Queensland jumper, following the successful tradition Western Australia has continued since interstate footy was abolished.

Brisbane Lion Josh Drummond, who earned a position in defence, applauded the initiative, saying it was a great honour to be recognised as one of Queensland's best.

"You watch the rugby league and how much everyone gets into it and think wouldn't it be great if we could represent our state," he said.

"It is something to be proud of, there's more and more Queenslanders entering the AFL each year and it's going to get tougher to earn one of these jumpers.

"Let's hope this starts something and one day we can run out in an Origin game at the Gabba."

drummondsc8.jpg

Link

Coast's Lion confident of future
12:00a.m. 28 September 2007
By Jon Tuxworth

Cocktails, sandy beaches and some general R and R may be high on Josh Drummond’s list of priorities right now. But the Brisbane Lions defender is confident he will walk away content when the more serious matter of negotiating a new deal with the three-time premier is resolved.
The Maroochydore product’s contract expired at the end of this year, and Drummond is hopeful of signing a deal to remain with the Lions until at least the end of 2009.
Currently in Thailand with his teammates on an end-of-season trip, the 24-year-old and his manager should have plenty of chips to bring to the bargaining table upon his return.
After returning from an upper leg injury against Essendon in round eight Drummond enjoyed a stellar season, averaging more than 20 disposals per match across 11 games.
He also ranked 13th in the league for average kicks per game (15) and notched up a career-high 30 disposals in consecutive weeks against Richmond (round 10) and Western Bulldogs (round 11).
His accurate left foot set up plenty of attacking raids from across halfback
“It’s just a matter of going back and forth and trying to get what we want, but we’re getting pretty close and I’d expect to sign relatively shortly,” Drummond said.
“I’m hoping to get that out of the way as soon as possible. I’m looking for a two-year deal to give us some stability, and that seems to be the best case scenario.
“I haven’t really spoken to my manager too much about it. It’s just a matter of sorting out the finer details.”
Drummond is part of a host of Lions currently looking to extend or upgrade their contracts.
“It was good to find a spot in the side and contribute, especially in that four or five week period where we played good footy,” Drummond said.
“I didn’t have much of a pre-season because of injury and I took a little while to get going, but I definitely enjoyed those few games.”
Unfortunately, the dreaded ‘i’ word has never been too far away from Drummond the past two years.
A dislocated shoulder suffered in the opening round of the 2006 season against Geelong, his late start to 2007 and knee and ankle injuries sustained simultaneously against Collingwood in round 17 has restricted Drummond to just 18 matches over the past two years.
It’s little wonder he’s more keen than most of his teammates for the pain of pre-season training to begin.
“Pre-season starts in four or five weeks and I’m confident everything will be right and I will be able to get back into it,” he said.
“Hamstring injuries have given me the most grief in my career but they’ve been fine this year.”
Drummond expects the Lions to improve markedly from their 10th placing this year.

drummondbm1.jpg

Just heard a rumour on Ch 10 that Carlton have offerred Josh $300,000 per year to enter the PSD!

It just goes from bad to worse for us.

The disheartening thing is that Hooper, Brennan & Brennan are not Victorians. We probably recruited them thinking that they would stay with us & It would avoid the "Go home to Vic" factor:thumbsdown:

Just heard a rumour on Ch 10 that Carlton have offerred Josh $300,000 per year to enter the PSD!

A few of us have also heard the same.

Carlton seem determined to get either Hadley or Drummond for free.

Channel 10 just reported the offer is $1,000,000 for 3 years.

I lurk rather than post in this forum but this brought me out of hiding. I sincerely hope that my belief that he would never go for the big money and stay loyal is right.

I will tell you though after coming back from Ireland yesterday and hearing the rumour just then on Sports Tonight I had to double check that I heard right and wasn't suffering jet lag and hearing things (I've never suffered jet lag before but it could have been a first time).

It would be an absolute shock to the system if he left.

Link

The Blues brought Drummond, a 24-year-old Sunshine Coaster, to Melbourne late yesterday morning and offered him a three-year deal. Despite the temptation of playing alongside new Blueboy Chris Judd, he flew home and agreed to a three-year contract with the Lions

Link

Drummond flew to Melbourne yesterday to meet the Blues and was on the verge of accepting a lucrative offer.
But on his return he went straight into meetings with Brisbane, which convinced him to extend his 32-game career with the club.

Link

Josh Drummond, who was yesterday wooed by Carlton at Princes Park where he met coach Brett Ratten and star recruit Chris Judd, last night agreed to a new three-year contract to remain with Brisbane.

Absolutely wrapped and relieved to read this this morning in the H/Sun!

One of my favourite players at the club and look foward to seeing him run around with an injury free 2008 next year.

Thanks Drummo and good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back