Kangaroos Steal Greenwood from Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

GC are a train wreck. I have no idea at how such a stupid idea made it to the table, but here we are. It’s Melbourne 2007-2013 levels of stupid.
But it’s not a world heating coup for nth. He’s just a player, and a player whose best is behind him, no matter how nth talks it up.
An ok piece of the puzzle, but nothing to write home about

Clearly this was a faux pas by the Gold Coast but I'm also wondering if North aren't starting to get a number of clubs off side. The last few year they've tapped-up a lot rival clubs good players, and now a somewhat opportunistic move at Gold Coast's expense. Everyone in this thread is congratulating North's coup but sometimes these sort of moves can comeback to haunt you.

Or in real terms you are personally annoyed they signed one of Richmond’s few decent young players for a packet of chips and a broken down key back in his mid 30’s.

Clearly this was a faux pas by the Gold Coast but I'm also wondering if North aren't starting to get a number of clubs off side. The last few year they've tapped-up a lot rival clubs good players, and now a somewhat opportunistic move at Gold Coast's expense. Everyone in this thread is congratulating North's coup but sometimes these sort of moves can comeback to haunt you.
Lol you should be happy we didn’t walk CCJ to the PSD and refuse to trade more than a 3rd rounder

GC are a train wreck. I have no idea at how such a stupid idea made it to the table, but here we are. It’s Melbourne 2007-2013 levels of stupid.
But it’s not a world heating coup for nth. He’s just a player, and a player whose best is behind him, no matter how nth talks it up.
An ok piece of the puzzle, but nothing to write home about
Our depth has been ordinary for a few years now. Even if hes just a solid citizen it helps us out heaps. We have 5 or 6 players over 26. The experience will be great.

Despite the way it's all transpired I don't think Greenwood is a massive loss. The Suns already had the whole bible basher god squad thing up there which never really helped them so his departure could actually be a blessing in disguise. As for North I'm not sure another big bodied plodder will help them all that much given they play most of their home games at docklands...

Despite the way it's all transpired I don't think Greenwood is a massive loss. The Suns already had the whole bible basher god squad thing up there which never really helped them so his departure could actually be a blessing in disguise. As for North I'm not sure another big bodied plodder will help them all that much given they play most of their home games at docklands...
He’s better than a plodder.

Personally I thought north was light on for experience so I think he helps out there. Much like the Suns, they have the young talent but they need balance around him. He was a best 22 player there no matter how you try to justify it

Greenwood coming onto the list is a massive get for the club even if he doesn’t perform as well as he has the last few seasons, just hope he gets past his injuries.
for those saying he’s taking up a spot on the list I just wanna break it down a bit,
Yes he’s gonna be 30 and the club are trying to get more young players onto the list, but he’s too good to refuse and a better option then whoever we would have picked up at pick 72 who may not even debut for the club.
our midfield has only two mature big bodies in it, cunners and Anderson who have both missed a lot of footy the last two years and rarely played together, just look at the teams record without cunners, without one or both of them ldu and simpkin have had to fly the flag while still developing themselves, then there’s the clubs terrible injury luck which has ruined them for the last 5 years.
now the club has also delisted dumont and Dom Tyson which whilst doesn’t look that bad on paper, does remove more experience for the young players to learn off with dumont being a leader of the club himself at one stage.
the club has high hopes for the likes of Bailey Scott, Will Phillips, Powell, lazzaro, and jhf, but besides the latter who could be a ready made star, all need a few pre seasons to build on their tank and strength, Greenwood being there helps ease the pressure on them.
then you’ve got tarryn, stevo and jfh again who can rotate forward, inside mid and out, Greenwood added to that list helps them with rotations.
the club also needed another mature aged player as you can count our players over 25 on both hands and it’s our weak point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Packet of chips? I think there’s every chance Richmond win the deal with North’s future second being a likely top 25 pick next year.

They also received picks back in the exchange, so really it was a few downgrades for a promising key forward who has come from a good system.

I can’t see Richmond winning the deal and they partly did that to themselves by targeting Tarrant.

Packet of chips? I think there’s every chance Richmond win the deal with North’s future second being a likely top 25 pick next year.

You never know with academy and father son push backs, I think North will improve considerably next year (certainly out of the bottom 2) and that pick is likely to be in the mid 30s range (at least)

They also received picks back in the exchange, so really it was a few downgrades for a promising key forward who has come from a good system.

I can’t see Richmond winning the deal and they partly did that to themselves by targeting Tarrant.

North gave up Tarrant, pick 40 and 2022 second for CCJ, pick 42 and pick 47 and 2022 4th rounder.

I don’t really see Tarrant or picks in the 40s as assets that move the needle much either way. Maybe because I’m not a CCJ fan or am underrating how much North will improve next year but I think giving up a projected top 25 pick is overs and certainly not a packet of chips

You never know with academy and father son push backs, I think North will improve considerably next year (certainly out of the bottom 2) and that pick is likely to be in the mid 30s range (at least)

I’m high on North long term. Don’t think 2022 is their year big chance for bottom 4 imo.
I don’t follow your maths to get to a mid 30s pick at all.

Call me bitter if you want but I think a big reason why Greenwood did this was to eventually end up on the inaugural Tasmanian AFL team list when they are due to enter the competition in 2025. Tasmania should get the green light after a league vote in March 2022, field a NAB League team in 2023 and a VFL team in 2024 before entering the AFL in 2025. We (the Suns) couldn't even guarantee him a contract in 2023 but North were willing to give him that plus 2024 with a simple games trigger that he should reach comfortably, which will put him off contract at the perfect time to be signed as a 32 year old senior leader of the inaugural Tasmanian AFL team. Greenwood is a proud Tasmanian and he's going to get ample opportunity to push his profile down there over the next three years with North continuing to play four home games in Hobart. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Greenwood becomes the face of North's Tasmanian venture over the next three years due to his comfort with the media. The only thing that would mess up this plan from he would be a career ending injury but that's completely out of anyone's control. In the unlikely case Tasmania doesn't get the green light to enter the AFL in 2025, Greenwood also has a coaching opportunity he can pursue at North so a safety exists in that case as well.

Playing for a Tasmanian AFL team was almost definitely a childhood dream for Greenwood and he now has a genuine shot at making that a reality. That would be very hard to turn down when you know your playing days are likely limited at the Suns.

Call me bitter if you want but I think a big reason why Greenwood did this was to eventually end up on the inaugural Tasmanian AFL team list when they are due to enter the competition in 2025. Tasmania should get the green light after a league vote in March 2022, field a NAB League team in 2023 and a VFL team in 2024 before entering the AFL in 2025. We (the Suns) couldn't even guarantee him a contract in 2023 but North were willing to give him that plus 2024 with a simple games trigger that he should reach comfortably, which will put him off contract at the perfect time to be signed as a 32 year old senior leader of the inaugural Tasmanian AFL team. Greenwood is a proud Tasmanian and he's going to get ample opportunity to push his profile down there over the next three years with North continuing to play four home games in Hobart. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Greenwood becomes the face of North's Tasmanian venture over the next three years due to his comfort with the media. The only thing that would mess up this plan from he would be a career ending injury but that's completely out of anyone's control. In the unlikely case Tasmania doesn't get the green light to enter the AFL in 2025, Greenwood also has a coaching opportunity he can pursue at North so a safety exists in that case as well.

Playing for a Tasmanian AFL team was almost definitely a childhood dream for Greenwood and he now has a genuine shot at making that a reality. That would be very hard to turn down when you know your playing days are likely limited at the Suns.

One of the Vic sides needs to head to Tassie. There about 100 Vic sides. Won’t happen but should’ve ages ago. AFL dropped the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

AFL owes it to the 17 clubs helping prop up GC to encourage that club to pursue someone like Justin Reid to instil a more value oriented approach to managing its list and draft assistance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back