Kennedy's so called lack of fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

magpies2013

All Australian
Jan 1, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
What is the go here.they say he hasn't done a pre season yet but still manages to play the whole season and full games in they vfl.he's fitness can't be that bad or is there more to it that we don't know about.

He was great in the NAB Challenge for someone who hasn't done a full preseason.

If Kennedy is happy enough with the club that he has re-signed, clearly he hasn't been bothered by the amount of times he has been made sub etc.
No reason not to trust the clubs word that he wasn't fit enough to be playing full senior games.

Yep, fitness standard of part time footballers in the VFL is the same as full time athletes in AFL. Can't believe Kennedy isn't playing either.

Compare him to say Mat Priddis from WCE who runs all day - Kenno couldn't do that at the moment.
I was told he needs to pull 30 seconds off his 2km time trial, so it will be interesting to see what happens over the summer.

They're not going to keep him out of the VFL if his fitness isn't up to scratch... the entire point of the VFL is to get players' match fitness and skills up.

Respectfully that is only part of the equation.

Learning all areas of team strategies, expectations, bulking up and filling a required position also play a major part Re: selection criteria.

Respectfully that is only part of the equation.

Learning all areas of team strategies, expectations, bulking up and filling a required position also play a major part Re: selection criteria.

I basically filed all of that under 'skills' :p, minus 'bulking up' which is fitness. But yes the VFL does serve all those purposes.

Compare him to say Mat Priddis from WCE who runs all day - Kenno couldn't do that at the moment.
I was told he needs to pull 30 seconds off his 2km time trial, so it will be interesting to see what happens over the summer.
I hope he starts running Forrest Gump style then!

There are a couple of AFL beards types. Most notably:

Rehab beard

xhhZo.jpg

The Badass beard

thebeard.jpg

Struggling beard (both in aesthetic appearance and well....form, I'll just leave it at that)

394410-jack-watts.jpg

BenKen might be able to do a combination of #2 and hipster beard (with the right attitude).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't know whether posters here follow the club or not. BenKen had an illness last year and during the preseason that limited his running capacity. In the VFL, he played in short bursts and when he come off, he was always blowing hard hence it was his skill that got him AFL 'sub' games.

Still supporters complain with ignorance. Can we once and for all put to rest his 'tank' was not up to AFL level?

Then I remember a press conference when Bucks said he sprinted hard in the last quarter but supposedly can't do it earlier. I think the club is demanding a level of fitness that is both physical and mentally capable at AFL level.

We are so desperate for success that we ignore the facts of the matter. He will be a long term player for us. BE PATIENT.

Yep, fitness standard of part time footballers in the VFL is the same as full time athletes in AFL.

Jesus no it's not, and it's not even close. Have you ever actually watched a VFL game?

Anybody who is wondering why Kennedy missed a pre-season ... the answer to that question and more can be found in our podcast interview by GETSOMENUTS with Ben Kennedy here

Last edited:
I just don't know whether posters here follow the club or not. BenKen had an illness last year and during the preseason that limited his running capacity. In the VFL, he played in short bursts and when he come off, he was always blowing hard hence it was his skill that got him AFL 'sub' games.

Still supporters complain with ignorance. Can we once and for all put to rest his 'tank' was not up to AFL level?

Then I remember a press conference when Bucks said he sprinted hard in the last quarter but supposedly can't do it earlier. I think the club is demanding a level of fitness that is both physical and mentally capable at AFL level.

We are so desperate for success that we ignore the facts of the matter. He will be a long term player for us. BE PATIENT.

I understand his young and hasn't had a preseason since drafted but I wonder why the club wouldn't have given him a solid 4-6 week block at the start of the season before playing any games rather than play him R1 and see him come in and out of the team.

As pies supporters patience is one thing we have and we are understanding of his situation but surely his fitness could have been managed better to see him build into the season rather than play in spurts as he did. Certainly didn't do him any favours I wouldn't have thought.

I understand his young and hasn't had a preseason since drafted but I wonder why the club wouldn't have given him a solid 4-6 week block at the start of the season before playing any games rather than play him R1 and see him come in and out of the team.

As pies supporters patience is one thing we have and we are understanding of his situation but surely his fitness could have been managed better to see him build into the season rather than play in spurts as he did. Certainly didn't do him any favours I wouldn't have thought.

Not disagreeing with you here. There seems to be more to it though after Bucks comments about him being able to sprint 40 metres(?) in the last quarter to a contest but not earlier in the game. It seems to point at some mental toughness needed in relation to the physical stuff. Anyway, we'll know after he gets a pre season in.

If you recall Beams commented earlier this year that Kenno is not a natural athlete and needs a lot of work to build up his fitness.

I suspect that we all get sucked in by his pace and skill when he has the ball in hand or is in an attacking position but we don't really pay attention to when he doesn't have it. Or when he fails to get to a contest.

I think naturally as supporters we just notice all the good (which looks excellent at times) and don't notice the not so good.

I could name 12 players that played against Hawthorn that couldn't run out the game so this excuse is just bullshit from Davoren.

If Kennedy is happy enough with the club that he has re-signed, clearly he hasn't been bothered by the amount of times he has been made sub etc.
No reason not to trust the clubs word that he wasn't fit enough to be playing full senior games.

Not just with Kennedy specifically, but the idea that second year guys barely out of their teens A) "Deserve" a game and a heap of gametime, and B) Should be disgruntled if they don't just get it straight away, and should want to leave before their first contract is even up, is both idiotic and absurd.

Not just with Kennedy specifically, but the idea that second year guys barely out of their teens A) "Deserve" a game and a heap of gametime, and B) Should be disgruntled if they don't just get it straight away, and should want to leave before their first contract is even up, is both idiotic and absurd.
The fact that you are one of the first on here that I have seen post something as sensible as this is startling. When the player finally does get a game: "oh but you played him out of position" - since when does a 2nd year player dictate positions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back