KEVIN CATON 1989

Remove this Banner Ad

mountain roy

Debutant
Nov 6, 2005
leura
Other Teams
fitzroy
hello and welcome roy girls and royboys. anyone have any recollections of the geelong game at pp in 1989 when kevin caton hit the post withe last kick of the day and we won by a point? recap- 32 points down at last break, conlan goals in first minute and its mayhem for cat fans. my mate, a cat fan was listening to the game on the radio at home. He reckons as soon as conlan goaled in the last he knew geelong would lose. we kicked 30 goals in the reserves and apart from catons point and conlans goal thats all i really remember. also darren troy put them back in front, osbourne missed a sitter and i was crying with joy after the game. the scoreboard markers were pretty happy i remember. fat pizza in past posts remembers it pretty well as it was his bucks night-or he doesnt remember it. memories anyone??

I was at that match with my wife, having driven down the Hume Highway from Benalla just for the day.
The match was at Princess Park, and I was always there early to catch the ressies to see the up-and-coming stars.
The Geelong side was a strong one (and would make the GF against Hawthorn) so the expectations weren't too high, and the first 3/4 didn't change that opinion.
Trailed at 3/4 by 32 points, but the boys lifted and edged there way back into the game. It got to the stage when scores were level with virtually no time left, enter Kevin Caton!
I can't remember whether he had a set shot, or snapped the behind, but we were in front when the siren went.
I was in raptures, the missus was embarrassed, and the pro-Fitzroy crowd went wild.
It was the best drive back up the Hume that night!

Definitely a set shot, from the 50 meter arc, forward flank scoreboard end. Certain scores were level until he hit the post. Always looked for footage but never able to find it. Geelong lost the following week at princes park too! They led hawthorn by 56 points at half time but we're run down in last quarter by the hawks.

Definitely a set shot, from the 50 meter arc, forward flank scoreboard end. Certain scores were level until he hit the post. Always looked for footage but never able to find it. Geelong lost the following week at princes park too! They led hawthorn by 56 points at half time but we're run down in last quarter by the hawks.
The Fine Young Cannibal - set shot with the scores level. All hell breaks loose.

I remeber seeing the rough footage at the time - I seem to remember it was still in the day where 3 games or so were covered by Seven and the Commentators, but then there was still a single camera at the other games so basic highlights footage could be shown.

I remember this game, I was there, I was 11 years old, was there with Dad, brother, uncle and cousin.
Second time I ever went to Princes Park ( went the week befORe for the first time, got smashed by the Swans) Remember the Fitzroy crowd, cheering, everyone yelling, FITZROY, FITZROY. No 28 Kevin Caton had a se shot, hit the post, didn't hear the siren go as the crowd was that loud. What a great day. GO THE ROYS.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there at the Heatley stand end. Great memories. Ironmonger played a dominant game that day if my memory serves me correctly.

Ironmonger played in the Reserves all of 1989. He did play a dominant game that year V Geelong it was in the Reserves Grand Final Vs Geelong.

Definitely one of my fondest memories of the Roys at Princess Park.

Up there with many of Ossie's days out, Spider Shaw's debut, Johnny Ironmonger burying Graeme Wright, but Kevin Caton's long roost is up there.

Only just joined! I was there that day! I'm sure he played on Ablett Snr all day in a pocket! He kicked 3 on him but I'm sure Ablett kicked 3 points 2 hit the post! Last quarter Wally Matera hit Caton with a bullet! Ablett stood on the mark 3-5m outside the 50m arch! Caton's drop punt from at least 60m hit the top of the post to win the game! 7 commentators were going nuts at how far it's gone! Channel 7 on the Monday went back to PP to measure the distance! That was the day that it was realise that the 50m arc at PP was only 45m! From then on the arc hit the square at PP! Betcha he wished it hadn't been measured!?

I was there that day as well and share many of the fine memories mentioned above. As a ten year old I was sitting amongst the Fitzroy cheersquad with my mother. I'll add that during the second quarter Cat Gavin Exell was awarded a dodgy goal and the Roys faithful were none to impressed repeatedly voicing 'Bs.....bs.....bs'. Mum has never let me forget it.

i have to admit before that game i actually followed geelong. in the first few rounds of 1989 all the geelong games and fitzroy games were on different days and i went to them all. i bought a membership for both clubs and went to the fitzroy - geelong match not knowing how it would unfold for me. at the end i swapped teams. dont like to say it out loud too much because you know, you dont really swap teams. the siren went, fitzroy people were jumping up and down, the geelong mob were speechless. i was jumping up and down as well on the outer wing. i saw fitzroy fans crying, overjoyed. i went to the merchandise stand, bought a fitzroy scarf, wrapped it around my waist and went to the nearest pub to celebrate and was a fitzroy supporter everafter. i was in a gold coast pub in the last round of 1988 watching richmond smash fitzroy. david parkins last match as coach. fitzroy scored a rare goal and the colours of the flags behind the goals got to me and i promised i would be in melbourne for the opening round of 1989, which you could do when you were young, move states so you could go to the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back