Kim Hughes

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually played with him in that senior Subi side. Tom hogan was also in that side. Terry alderman got back into the state side but Kim didn't which was political.
We had a super side then with the likes of Alderman, Hughes, Hogan, Breman, Gonalla, Bush etc. Was like playing for the state and we won the 87/88 penant easily.

I used to go to a few of the Subi games just to see him play. I was thinking of Giles Bush the other day - met him a few times - he was a great laugh!

Golden Boy is a great book. Presented both sides of the story very well.

Perhaps something about the Miracle Match? From Ian Brayshaw's book the young Hughes ended up having a pretty massive night of it so might not remember too much of the actual match.

Don't get him started on chuckers.

Thank you so much for directing me to this book. It's a great read!

I actually played with him in that senior Subi side. Tom hogan was also in that side. Terry alderman got back into the state side but Kim didn't which was political.
We had a super side then with the likes of Alderman, Hughes, Hogan, Breman, Gonalla, Bush etc. Was like playing for the state and we won the 87/88 penant easily.

When you think that Midland-Guildford had (at various points in the same period) Moody, Julian, Yardley, Katich, Angel and Alec Stewart at various times, it was a pretty amazing era for grade cricket.

When you think that Midland-Guildford had (at various points in the same period) Moody, Julian, Yardley, Katich, Angel and Alec Stewart at various times, it was a pretty amazing era for grade cricket.

Add Tim Zoerehr to that
Was a great era of grade cricket back then. Very happy I played in that era. Every side had international players and it a very high level comp.

What do you study freogirl?

To be able to interview cricketers for a history project sounds amazing.

I'm doing history at Curtin. I was initially doing Journalism (which came in handy) but found I was enjoying history more. I have 3 units of history left. If I do one more of journalism will have a Major in History and Minor in Journalism.

The WACA was very helpful (used contacts from when I was doing journalism). They put me on to Clint Wheeldon from the ABC, who was very helpful.

I did the interview today. I tossed all night, and when I did fall asleep I kept dreaming about Dirk Wellham!

Firstly, wow he does look great for 61! he was funny, happy, generous and polite. I was soooo nervous at first!!!

He volunteered information of Lillee and Marsh - he kept bringing them up and would end it with, "But we are all good friends now"

These are the questions we covered. Thank you so much to all of you who offered books and suggestions!

1. Where and when did your love for cricket first begin?

2. Who were some of your heroes?

3. At what age do you believe you began to stand out from other young cricket players? Did anything similar to ‘Kanga cricket’ exist back then?

4. You made your debut for Subiaco -Floreat at the age of 15. What do you think made you different?

5. Do you remember the excitement the first time you stepped on to the WACA (a century on debut) for Western Australia, at the age of 21?

6. What goes through a young cricketer’s mind when he first gets handed the ‘baggy green’?

7. When did it sink in that you were captain of Australia?

8. You played some of the most unusual strokes that are still talked about today, including the going down on one knee in the Centenary Test at Lords and the coming down the wicket to meet the ball. Some regarded these shots as risky while other players like Len Pascoe referred to you as “the Fred Astaire of batting”. Justin Langer and Ricky Ponting have singled you out as someone who has inspired them. Langer claims it was his dream to mimic some of your strokes. Who or what inspired you to take on the ball like nobody else?

9. The 1980s saw a lot of changes in state and international cricket. With Packer and other sponsors, money became an incentive to play top-level cricket. Do you believe this took away from the love of the game?

10. How tough was it leading teams to play in countries like India, Pakistan and the West Indies – especially in India where supporters are crazy about cricket? Were you ever fearful? Teams won’t even travel to Pakistan today.

11. How tough was it to return to mainstream cricket after the Rebel Tour? (I could see we were going to run out of time, so didn't ask this - I suspected he could talk about this for an hour on its own)

12. Do you think the West Indies will ever be the same force they were in the past?

13. What was it like juggling a young family and cricket? We have just had Fathers Day. When Jenny had the twins in 1981 you were on tour and away from the birth. You then scored a famous double century at the Adelaide Oval, the following week, in celebration. I believe you missed their first Christmas in the famous MCG Test match where you scored a 100 against the West Indies.

14. Your marriage to Jenny has lasted through the years. What do you feel have been the secrets to your success?

15. We now have the Internet and Facebook, Skype and other ways of communicating? How did you communicate with families and friends back then?

16. Now we see wives and families traveling with cricket players. Is this a good idea? Or does it distract players? Is it a necessity with the amount of cricket the modern day cricketer is committed to?

17. Do you think social media has changed the way in which we follow cricket and seemingly interact with the players? Does this mean you have to be equally savvy on and off the ground?

18. Do you believe we have too much cricket now? In the past players like you, Graeme Wood and Tim Zoehrer were also able to juggle football in the winter and cricket in the summer.

19. What is the future of Test cricket?

20. What have you done since retiring from cricket and what plans do you have for the future??

21. You have said in the past there won’t be a book. Do you think you ay change your mind one day and write your memoirs?

22. What is the best thing about cricket?

I'm doing history at Curtin. I was initially doing Journalism (which came in handy) but found I was enjoying history more. I have 3 units of history left. If I do one more of journalism will have a Major in History and Minor in Journalism.

The WACA was very helpful (used contacts from when I was doing journalism). They put me on to Clint Wheeldon from the ABC, who was very helpful.

I did the interview today. I tossed all night, and when I did fall asleep I kept dreaming about Dirk Wellham!

Firstly, wow he does look great for 61! he was funny, happy, generous and polite. I was soooo nervous at first!!!

He volunteered information of Lillee and Marsh - he kept bringing them up and would end it with, "But we are all good friends now"

These are the questions we covered. Thank you so much to all of you who offered books and suggestions!

1. Where and when did your love for cricket first begin?

2. Who were some of your heroes?

3. At what age do you believe you began to stand out from other young cricket players? Did anything similar to ‘Kanga cricket’ exist back then?

4. You made your debut for Subiaco -Floreat at the age of 15. What do you think made you different?

5. Do you remember the excitement the first time you stepped on to the WACA (a century on debut) for Western Australia, at the age of 21?

6. What goes through a young cricketer’s mind when he first gets handed the ‘baggy green’?

7. When did it sink in that you were captain of Australia?

8. You played some of the most unusual strokes that are still talked about today, including the going down on one knee in the Centenary Test at Lords and the coming down the wicket to meet the ball. Some regarded these shots as risky while other players like Len Pascoe referred to you as “the Fred Astaire of batting”. Justin Langer and Ricky Ponting have singled you out as someone who has inspired them. Langer claims it was his dream to mimic some of your strokes. Who or what inspired you to take on the ball like nobody else?

9. The 1980s saw a lot of changes in state and international cricket. With Packer and other sponsors, money became an incentive to play top-level cricket. Do you believe this took away from the love of the game?

10. How tough was it leading teams to play in countries like India, Pakistan and the West Indies – especially in India where supporters are crazy about cricket? Were you ever fearful? Teams won’t even travel to Pakistan today.

11. How tough was it to return to mainstream cricket after the Rebel Tour? (I could see we were going to run out of time, so didn't ask this - I suspected he could talk about this for an hour on its own)

12. Do you think the West Indies will ever be the same force they were in the past?

13. What was it like juggling a young family and cricket? We have just had Fathers Day. When Jenny had the twins in 1981 you were on tour and away from the birth. You then scored a famous double century at the Adelaide Oval, the following week, in celebration. I believe you missed their first Christmas in the famous MCG Test match where you scored a 100 against the West Indies.

14. Your marriage to Jenny has lasted through the years. What do you feel have been the secrets to your success?

15. We now have the Internet and Facebook, Skype and other ways of communicating? How did you communicate with families and friends back then?

16. Now we see wives and families traveling with cricket players. Is this a good idea? Or does it distract players? Is it a necessity with the amount of cricket the modern day cricketer is committed to?

17. Do you think social media has changed the way in which we follow cricket and seemingly interact with the players? Does this mean you have to be equally savvy on and off the ground?

18. Do you believe we have too much cricket now? In the past players like you, Graeme Wood and Tim Zoehrer were also able to juggle football in the winter and cricket in the summer.

19. What is the future of Test cricket?

20. What have you done since retiring from cricket and what plans do you have for the future??

21. You have said in the past there won’t be a book. Do you think you ay change your mind one day and write your memoirs?

22. What is the best thing about cricket?

That's a lot of questions! Were you recording it? Glad to hear that he was so co-operative.

I saw this today. It’s very sad, and would have been a horrible way to lose him - am glad he’s brave enough to talk about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't aware of this. Really glad that he seems to be doing better now.

As a kid, always loved watching him bat. You never knew what was going to happen... Who can ever forget that 100 he made against the Windies at the MCG in 1981. Ranks right up there with the best ever test hundreds made

Reckon he got the rough end of the pineapple to a certain extent during his career. He was captain of Australia one minute, then he wasn't because Greg Chappell was picking and choosing which tours he would go on. We had a crap side in 1984 after the retirement of the big 3. And as I recall, the Windies almost broke him as a batsman towards the end.

Also, the Lillee hate towards him because Marsh didn't get the captaincy. As much as everyone loved and adored Lillee, I though it was piss weak that he held that grudge against Hughes. Lillee didn't like it the captaincy decision but he could have at least shown some support.

Hughes was also a good footballer in the WAFL ?

This topic is ironic given that Michael Slater has again appeared in the news today.