Kumar Sangakarra

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't imagine someone like Tendulkar or Ponting playing such a poor innings in such a big game. The best since Bradman? Not even close.
1996 world cup semi. Australia's entire top order - including Ponting - failed. We were 4/20 after about 10 overs.

Kumar played a poor innings, still hung in there, and didn't help his middle and lower order completely crumbled. Maybe they wouldn't have if he was going a bit faster but who knows. he still was one of the only two to trouble the scorers in any meaningful way in an innings that only last 35 overs.

In 8 WC SF and Finals, Ponting only hit 1 half century. It just happened to be one of the most amazing world cup innings played.

Face is no one - even Bradman - is on the pulse every single time they walk out to bat.

I wouldn't be bumping this thread to try and talk up Kumar after today. Chris Rogers would have batted at a quicker pace today.

Yep lets pick a sample size of 1! Lets ignore the MOM innings in the World T 20 final, lets ignore the 10 double hundreds in test cricket...lets ignore the 4 centuries in a row in this world cup.

Agree it was a shite inning tbh but nothing will change the fact he is a legend

Yep lets pick a sample size of 1! Lets ignore the MOM innings in the World T 20 final, lets ignore the 10 double hundreds in test cricket...lets ignore the 4 centuries in a row in this world cup.

Agree it was a shite inning tbh but nothing will change the fact he is a legend
I never disputed that. But bumping this thread after his piss poor innings today is stupid.

Not at all. He is a legend of the game.
Bradman played in losing tests too. In his last game he scored a duck, do we dispute he is the greatest?

I never disputed that. But bumping this thread after his piss poor innings today is stupid.[/QUOTEo

Bradman played in losing tests too. In his last game he scored a duck, do we dispute he is the greatest?
Point out to me where i have had a dig at Sanga? I am not having a dig at him, I am having a dig at whoever thinks its a great idea to bump a thread praising him after he played a poor innings.

I never disputed that. But bumping this thread after his piss poor innings today is stupid.[/QUOTEo
Point out to me where i have had a dig at Sanga? I am not having a dig at him, I am having a dig at whoever thinks its a great idea to bump a thread praising him after he played a poor innings.

"piss poor" haha

never said you had a dig at him...just saying we should still be able to talk about him. a great batsman. How poorly he and SL performed tonihgt is irrelevant.

"piss poor" haha

never said you had a dig at him...just saying we should still be able to talk about him. a great batsman. How poorly he and SL performed tonihgt is irrelevant.
He was piss poor tonight?

I can forgive him being called a flat track bully, but after yesterday he is in no way a great player, maybe a good player, but no way great, that was an embarrassing innings.

I can forgive him being called a flat track bully, but after yesterday he is in no way a great player, maybe a good player, but no way great, that was an embarrassing innings.
Played 130 tests and 404 ODI's and you want to make a call like that based on his last ever innings?

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bradman scored a duck in his last innings. Is he not a great player either?

Bradman scored a duck in his last innings. Is he not a great player either?
Clearly a dud.

And we can also ascertain from that last innings of his that he couldn't play spin, couldn't handle pressure and couldn't bat on English pitches.

:)

Bradman only played against 1 nation, the rest would qualify as minnows now, but with a average of 99 he is a great.
He played against more than one nation, whatever you think of the rest.

He is definitely a great player. But some people overrate him. He has had an incredible 4-5 years. For example he was averaging 37 in ODIs till 2011 with just 11-12 tons. He has been out of this world in the last few years but overall I rate him at 5th or 6th in the last 20 years that I have followed this game.

Sri Lanka were 2/4 after 4 overs, and Sanga had Thirramane going at nearly a run a ball up the other end. He had plenty of time to play himself in, so why not do that? He would have planned to accelerate later....how would he have forseen that his colleagues would collapse like a house of cards against the fearsome might of JP Duminy and Imran Tahir? o_O

Didn't see the game, but from the Cricinfo description, it seems virtually all the wickets were down to good balls or lame 'nothing' shots (apart from Jayawardne). It's not like his colleagues were panicking and playing cow hoiks every ball to take the pressure off.

If he'd gone for some big shot and got out, leaving them at 3/20 or something, we'd be bagging the crap out of him.

his innings singlehandedly ruined the game for sri lanka. this was a CLASSIC EXAMPLE of a subcontinent player batting for his AVERAGE.

i watched it from start to finish, he REFUSED to rotate strike, and took over 40 deliveries to reach double digits. under NO circumstances is that acceptable. his average whoring put pressure on the batsmen at the other end to up the tempo, and they failed miserably - not their fault obviously, they just aren't very good. sanga, the 2nd best batsman since bradman, didn't even attempt to raise the scoring rate, or attack the fifth bowler. he began to throw the bat around ONLY when the tail started to crumble, getting out sheepishly in the process.

it was a disgraceful innings, but somewhat appropriate as a tribute to his career. who knows how many such innings he has played in the past, but its a good example of how u cannot judge a player entirely on his average. many of our batsmen play for the team, but the success-starved subcontinental flat track bullies play for themselves, and their records should be taken in context.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back