Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not this week by all reports on this board

He can perform, but the core problem is he looks lost , doesnt use his skill, he does have talent, he is mis used, but at the end of the day im judging the deal overall for what we got for the investment and imo its awfuL

Wish we had never done the deal and i like Kurt dont get me wrong

Happy to be one out and wrong, i hope he shows more and proves me wrong, but each week generally he gets slower and more useless imo

He can perform, but the core problem is he looks lost , doesnt use his skill, he does have talent, he is mis used, but at the end of the day im judging the deal overall for what we got for the investment and imo its awfuL

Wish we had never done the deal and i like Kurt dont get me wrong

Happy to be one out and wrong, i hope he shows more and proves me wrong, but each week generally he gets slower and more useless imo

I'm happy getting him and not happy with where is his playing.

I'm happy getting him and not happy with where is his playing.

I agree he should be forward, just dont think he can live up to the contract and profile, but agree he is in the wrong spot

We are basically playing him as 1st ruck n he ain't that. He's a stay at home FF he does some ruck work here n there. At best a 2nd ruck.

Personally, I'd be happy to keep him in the ruck if he could hold marks like he used to in his occasional forays forward (not being outmuscled by smaller players would be good, too). That, more than his lack of goals, is making him look potato-ish and is the biggest reversal in form from what we first saw. Actually pretty baffling.

It's not the Tippett deal I'm worried about, it was heavily front loaded and is nearly over and his next contract will be significantly less. He filled our one weakness at the time. Now he's being misused and did play some seriously good footy for us as the main man in 2013. When we got him we still had Mumford, Everitt, Lamb etc. All the depth has been squeezed out by the Franklin deal and/or combination of both. Tippett deal is over-priced but not as ridiculously over-priced as the Buddy deal. In an era when only the best forwards kick 50-60 goals a season no one is worth that much, even the champ Bud.
Buddy is a superstar and it is exciting watching him play but with the decline (in the team not in him) looking like it's already began the cost of the deal is starting to stand out. Is the off-field stuff worth what it's cost us on field?
It had to be one of the other with Franklin & Tippett. If they were already 100% committed to Tippett.... fine, filled the need... don't then go and get Buddy. If they knew they were getting Buddy at the end of 2012, then don't get Tippett and go 2013 with the group that did the job in 2012. They should've wayed up both the deals and decided on one.

Buddy's obviously the superstar of the 2, but he's also on the bigger sillier deal....he's carried us over the line a lot but if he wasn't there would we depend on him carrying us over the line? certainly didn't before he came. We're too Buddy dependant, probably would be more so without Tippett but he's still a match winner star and we may have kept Mummy, Everitt or been able to get other things like a KD. Pyke still be the forward/ruck. Team would overall be stronger.
Conversely if we had Tippett and not Buddy, we wouldn't be dependant on one guy...and he's on the less drastic list altering deal..I'm wondering if it wouldn't better forward of centre with Tippett being just one of multiple options (part of a forward group not duo) and being played in his correct position at FF. Still maybe have good rucks in Mummy, Pyke as forward/ruck, been able to bring in others leading better depth. Team overall would also in this scenario also be stronger.
The need was a KF, we should've just got 1..we wouldn't have been banned from trading, maybe at least kept a couple of players and been able to bring in other guys to fill the needs. Pyke has really been hurt by getting both as well as he's moved from a no 2 ruck role which suited him to play the no 1 role which does not.

As it turns out obviously we got both, and are under utilising both. Tippett is a deep FF, shouldn't be spending nearly as much time in the ruck as he does. Buddy is not a contested marking forward and shouldn't be being played as one..he's better roaming/running and leading. We have what we have what's done is done, we can't trade our way out so the the only option is to make it work to make. Tippett and Franklin are 2 key pillars you could build a dynamic forward line around (key words: forward line, not forward and plays partly forward but wastes too much time and energy in the ruck duo) we need the other players around them.
Still both only 28 so there's 3-5 years to try and cash in, but it's up to the coaching staff to fast track a mini-rebuild, fix the structure and adjust the gameplan to suit. Get these 2 blokes in their true positions, give them the support they desperately need and who knows it might have a happy ending. It's really up to the coaching staff how this plays out but I get the feeling they're too stubborn to change given our flaws from 2013 still are our main flaws today.

I doubt he's on 800k and I doubt it will contribute to us getting a trade ban.

As mentioned above, Tippett's salary doesn't worry me that much as his contract was always going to be front-loaded to stop other clubs getting him in the PSD. There was absolutely NO reason for us to get a trade ban, don't rewrite history. We have bigger worries at the moment than Tippett.

As mentioned above, Tippett's salary doesn't worry me that much as his contract was always going to be front-loaded to stop other clubs getting him in the PSD. There was absolutely NO reason for us to get a trade ban, don't rewrite history. We have bigger worries at the moment than Tippett.

After the trade ban is lifted, who will be the first player traded out lookin for a mobile ruckman? or a KPD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back