Toast Kyle Cheney

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Finally I can say unequivocally that Cheney has arrived & now belongs on the big stage!...A full season of regular season football now beckons as he becomes a seamless replacement for Guerra at the heart of our defense.

His work in tandem with Gibbo on Friday night was brilliant....Looks poised, confident & up to the speed of AFL now....All he needed was regular senior football without the threat of demotion hanging over his head with his every kick and handball.

Kudos.

Fantastic game on Friday night from Chenes.
I think young Taylor D. might be first on the chopping block as we gradually get our first choice defence back.
Great probs to have.

Fantastic first three weeks from Cheney, will be interested to see how the coaches mark his performances in the PCM.. I reckon quite highly!

Was worried the loss of Goo would hurt from the aspect of losing a gritty big bodied back pocket. The prospect of Duryea or even Suckers filling that role didn't enthuse me... I think Kyle could be that guy!

Will be interesting to see (if we stay relatively injury free) how Clarko goes about picking the team and how those three guys spots in the 22 are viewed as the season progresses and we get closer to full strength. I expect Kyle to keep his spot on current form.

Never been all that convinced but I must admit his 3 games this year have been impressive. How does he fit into a a fully fit backline though? Is he in our best 6? Lake, Gibbo, Stratton, Burger, Birch, Shoey and maybe Doc as our small defender makes 7 to compete against. Could maybe nudge out Doc if he can play on the smaller and quicker forwards.

It will give us, providing we have the wins on the board, the opportunity to rest players late in the season, with the knowledge we have ready made replacements who know their role.

Good on him, been given big roles to play in an undermanned backline and shown how much character he has and tries his guts out. Thoroughly deserves his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt he has played well in the first 3 rounds. But once we have our best 22 available, I just don't see how he will hold his spot. He is certainly a great depth player though.

I would like to see how he performs with a number of consecutive games under his belt. He may just need a consistent run to get to the level that warrants a continued spot in the side. I'm not confident he'll get this chance, however. Too much high quality competition.

Goo replacement needs excellent foot skills.
Duryea has those, Cheney doesn't.
Duryea even has the disgusting misskicks that Goo had.

Duryea isn't a bull in the same sense that Goo was. Can't see him smashing through Chappy or taking him down in a tackle any time soon.

Goo is not easily replaced.

I remember Duryea smashing through McGlynn last year.

That's good.

Sorry to Duryea...my bad. Please do more of that! (But beware the harsh penalties...)

Not saying I don't like Duryea, or anything. I actually feel he's not quite up to the form he was last year, though.

Didn't Cheney win a B&F in Boxhills premiership season?
Has started the season real well, its amazing how competition for places causes the team to lift so much.

Kyle is strong and has a mature body, and he's gained in confidence.

The coaches seem to have confidence in him, and that's what counts most.
FFS, he's played on 2 Hall of Famers: Jonathan Brown and the greatest Fremantle player everrrr.

Keep it up Kyle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never been all that convinced but I must admit his 3 games this year have been impressive. How does he fit into a a fully fit backline though? Is he in our best 6? Lake, Gibbo, Stratton, Burger, Birch, Shoey and maybe Doc as our small defender makes 7 to compete against. Could maybe nudge out Doc if he can play on the smaller and quicker forwards.
He could fill the Doc role or burgoyne if he went to the bench. I can't see Doc and Cheney in our best 22 this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back