Last book you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am half way through a biography on Asa Gray. Asa Gray, American Botanist, Friend of Darwin. Dupree, A. Hunter (1988). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. It is the first real bio that I have bothered to read.

Last edited:
This year I decided to spend less time dicking around on my phone and more time reading. Turns out you get through a lot of books if you do that (a few a week on average).

Best so far this year is Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton which is about a boy growing up in Brisbane surrounded by drug crime. Absolute cracker.

for a lighter read, and for the "seniors" like The rabbi , The Land Before Avocado by Richard Glover. A (generally) light and accurate of life growing up during the 60's & 70's.

To give the book title some context I didn't see or hear of an avocado until I was 18 ...

Just finished a very good book on 9/11, 'Fall & Rise, The Story of 9/11' by Boston journalist, Mitchell Zuckoff. He basically tells the story of what happened in the eyes of many people directly affected including the hijackers, from the lead-up to today. I read a review describing the book as "utterly gripping" and it is.

Just finished a very good book on 9/11, 'Fall & Rise, The Story of 9/11' by Boston journalist, Mitchell Zuckoff. He basically tells the story of what happened in the eyes of many people directly affected including the hijackers, from the lead-up to today. I read a review describing the book as "utterly gripping" and it is.

While i've seen a tonne of docos on 9/11- never actually read a book.

Thanks for this, will track this one down!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds similar to "Report From Ground Zero" by Dennis Smith. Was a book about the NYFD and their response to the attacks and the following clean-up efforts.

Got it finally! Perfect timing really considering... read the first page, im hooked

Educated by Tara Westover. Do it.

About this girl growing up in rural Idaho and her family are religious fundamentalists, preparing for the end of the world types. All sorts of bad stuff happens and they don’t believe in orthodox medicine. Despite being “home schooled” (poorly) Tara finds her way to Cambridge and Oxford.

Brilliant book.

About this girl growing up in rural Idaho and her family are religious fundamentalists, preparing for the end of the world types. All sorts of bad stuff happens and they don’t believe in orthodox medicine. Despite being “home schooled” (poorly) Tara finds her way to Cambridge and Oxford.

Brilliant book.
Read that book last year. Agree, its a good read!

I just finished another riveting book - The Spy and the Traitor by Ben Macintyre. It's a true story about Russian KGB agent, Oleg Gordievski, who switched to M16 for ideological reasons (i.e., not for money). With the information he passed on to M16 Gordievski helped end the Cold War and bring an end to the Soviet Union. It is one of those books that you can't put down. The cover of the book describes it as "The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War". Cannot disagree!!

Putin apparently has a contract out on Gordievski because the careers of so many of Putin's contemporaries were destroyed by Gordievski.

Just finished "The Legend of the Middle Ages - Philosophical Explorations of Medieval Christianity, Judaism, and Islam" by Remi Brague.
I struggled with a lot of the book, but I found his chapter on the myth of "Geocentrism as the Humiliation of Man" to be the best analysis of that myth that I have read.

Last edited:
Thinking I need to pay more attention to The Scratching Post as I now have 21 pages of this thread to read :$

When I was commuting I used to read a lot more - I would go through phases of using the train journey for binging TV shows or binge reading books. Definitely haven't read as much lately as I would like to, so might take note of an earlier post by CE and spend less time on my phone & more team reading. Got a nice collection waiting to be read, just got to stop being lazy

This year I decided to spend less time dicking around on my phone and more time reading. Turns out you get through a lot of books if you do that (a few a week on average).

Best so far this year is Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton which is about a boy growing up in Brisbane surrounded by drug crime. Absolute cracker.

Finished that a couple of months ago, what an absolute ripper.

Brilliant book.

I read this one a couple of months ago too. Are we reading from the same book list catempire ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back