League Restructures in Alberton, Ellinbank league areas

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2006
Phillip Island
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Phillip Island, Sydney
Wondering what people think about restructuring of leagues in the area.
is bound to happen in next few years with the many alberton clubs not happy with the current situation plus wonthaggi stating they want a re structure. Any thoughts of how leagues should be in this area????

Not too worried about all the other clubs, but I would like to see a league with:-

Nilma Darnum
Yarragon
Trafalgar
Dusties
Buln Buln
Ellinbank
Neerim South
Longwarry
Bunyip
Garfield

Keep the league the same, just remove NNS, Buln Buln, Nilma Darnum, Ellinbank and Dusties.

There are a few reasons for this.
1. They are too far away.
2. They are not competitive unless they spend big.
3. The weather up there is too cold.

The league can be renamed West Gippsland, not sure what to do with the teams that have been kicked out, maybe they can join Mid Gippsland or Omeo leagues, whichever is closest.

That will leave:
Catani
Longwarry
Bunyip
Kooweerup
Lang Lang
Cora Lynn
Nar Nar Goon
Garfield
Nyora
Poowong

10 team comp, not a lot of travel, evenly matched. PERFECT.

We actually had a good 10 team comp, not so long ago.

Nilma Darnum
Ellinbank
Neerim Neerim Sth
Buln Buln
Warragul Industrials
Longwarry
Bunyip
Nyora
Poowong
Catani

Get rid of the rubbish we could have this again.

Not sure what the other 5 teams would do. Maybe they could go to Casey league or Omeo. Whichever is closest.

We actually had a good 10 team comp, not so long ago.

Nilma Darnum
Ellinbank
Neerim Neerim Sth
Buln Buln
Warragul Industrials
Longwarry
Bunyip
Nyora
Poowong
Catani

Get rid of the rubbish we could have this again.

Not sure what the other 5 teams would do. Maybe they could go to Casey league or Omeo. Whichever is closest.

Stupid post. Lang Lang, Kooweerup, Cora Lynn and Nar Nar Goon make the league what it is today. Without these teams it would just be another fifth division league. As for the Warragul based teams, I don't think too many people would miss them if they were to go.

Stupid post. Lang Lang, Kooweerup, Cora Lynn and Nar Nar Goon make the league what it is today. Without these teams it would just be another fifth division league. As for the Warragul based teams, I don't think too many people would miss them if they were to go.

Totally agree.. if edfl is going to improve they will need to bring in a couple more teams and make 2 divisions, that way you wont have to travel up to buln on a 10 degree and know your going to win by 100pts. all the games will be even!!

There is a fair chance that would happen with the original 10 teams prior to the last 4 entering. Lang Lang are pretenders but the others, due to locality are going to be strong no matter the situation of the others in the comp.

Those former West Gippy teams could easily combine to compete with a lot of the western teams in the Alberton League. The original 10 teams from EDFL then continue on as they were.

Plenty of options, obviously. If those with shallow minds from that end of the world think we all enjoy travelling to visit you guys, you are wrong.

Nobody would know what goes through the minds of people living in the Warragul region. Why anybody would want to live there is beyond me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how about this

create a new south gippsland or bass coast league which includes:
wonthaggi power
korumburra
phillip island
killy bass
dalyston
inverloch
tarwin
stony creek
mdu
then grab say nyora, poowong, lang lang and u have a 12 team comp.

then ellinbank would be:
longwarry
nilma darnum
catani
warragul
cora lynn
nar nar goon
koo wee rup
bunyip
NNS
buln buln
ellinbank
garfield

another 12 team comp

any thoughts?

how about this

create a new south gippsland or bass coast league which includes:
wonthaggi power
korumburra
phillip island
killy bass
dalyston
inverloch
tarwin
stony creek
mdu
then grab say nyora, poowong, lang lang and u have a 12 team comp.

then ellinbank would be:
longwarry
nilma darnum
catani
warragul
cora lynn
nar nar goon
koo wee rup
bunyip
NNS
buln buln
ellinbank
garfield

another 12 team comp

any thoughts?

Thats just stupid, what happens to foster, fish creek and toora?

And nyora, lang lang and poowong would never go for that.

Yeah, lets just slam anyone that puts an idea forward.

Will never happen so this will just remain a pipe dream thread anyway. Im pretty sure Mitch is not saying this is the definitive version. Like anything, this is discussion.

Surkin, your post is ridiculous and therefor deleted.

Ok Guys,
i'll have a go.
3 Leagues -
First league - West Gippsland - Cockatoo Gembrook, Garfield, Bunyip, Longwarry, NNS, NNG, Ellinbank, Buln Buln, Dusties, ND

Reasoning - Silvan just got accepted into the EFL leaving YVMDL with an uneven number in their first div. Gembrook is 17km from the Princes Hwy. All teams all not far off the Princes Hwy

Second League - South West Gippsland - Tooradin, Nyora, Poowong Catani, Cora Lynn, KWR, LL, KB, PI, Dalyston.

Reasoning - All not too far from Sth Gippy/ Bass Hwy, stopping at Wonthaggi. 11 teams in the CCFL, Taking Tooradin out would eliminate Bye.

Third League - South Gippsland - IK, Korumburra, Tarwin, MDU, Stony, Fishy, Toora, Allies, Foster, Yarram.

Reasoning - All these guys are happy to play each other. Basically follows Sth Gippy Hwy from Burra to Yarram, Tarwin and Invy 20 min off it.

This leaves Wonthaggi and Bairnsdale to come into the Gippsland major football league, playing their home and away games against each other in the valley thus providing an avenue for players to play at a high standard and represent their region in Gippsland.

All byes eliminated, no mergers, no big travel (apart from the clubs & populations who are willing to), will probably never happen.

I don't understand why there is a need to restructure the leagues right at this moment. Anyone who has been to an EDFL Grand Final in the last three years would understand just how well the league is going. Crowds are at an all time high, as is the standard. While Gwynne and Gallash cop a lot of s**t on these boards they must be doing a fantastic job. There is no reason a bye won't work in this league either. Most other leagues are able to manage it, and I am sure with the quality people running the league, the EDFL will be no exception.

:) bobmo

Thats just stupid, what happens to foster, fish creek and toora?

And nyora, lang lang and poowong would never go for that.

Ease up mate!
obviously i just didnt mention a league for those teams coz i was talking about bass coast/ellinbank area but these teams such which would include dwwww, yarram, foster, toora and fishy could stay in alberton and teams from other leagues could join them or they could possibly join into other leagues in the area. not sure about it but i was focusing on the ellinbank and new local league around bass coast.

Mitch. You arent allowed to make any statements about any of the current situations in any league on this forum.

They all just jump down your throat. Everybody's ideas are just plain stupid. Including yours.

You have now been told.

I see that you work at a newspaper Bobmo. Do you happen to read any of them?

It is just my opinion, but there is no need for the EDFL to be involved in any restructure. The EDFL is thriving at the moment that mostly to those that are running the league so competently. Other leagues would die for an administration such as that in place in the EDFL. Unfortunately though, that administration seems to be much maligned on these boards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back