Leicester City - 1 Time Champion of England

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I'd say Kram is done. Shame really, think there's something there but he clearly hasn't shown enough of it in training. Both Pearson and Ranieri won't play the kid.

Definitely need a speedy CB. Too many big, old, slow ones there atm. A RB is definitely a need also.

Agree that we need another poacher. Would love us to revisit Austin. Would be a great foil to Vardy.

It definitely says a lot if he feels Ulloa is a must despite the lack of positional flexibility, but not Kramaric. Such a shame that he hasn't lifted to the level that was expected of him. To think Nugent would be better.

I think the big one we will be after is going to be Daniel Amartey again. Can play both CB and CM, which ticks off Ranieri's boxes. I think he'll combine nicely with Kante. RB... Trippier? That's really the only one I can think of that I know has some proven quality and would suit us. If only we had someone like Christian Fuchs that could play at RB.

I think Austin will be notably cheaper and maybe a little more grounded considering no top 6 team will touch him. He hasn't added to his tally since he went off for hamstring problems, I think he's still out for one more week. We'll see how he goes. That said, QPR might try to milk us, knowing that he will leave on a free in July.

What to do about Dyer? I still can't believe Swansea gave us Dyer. Get him in for good in January, or should we wait and see?

It definitely says a lot if he feels Ulloa is a must despite the lack of positional flexibility, but not Kramaric. Such a shame that he hasn't lifted to the level that was expected of him. To think Nugent would be better.

I think the big one we will be after is going to be Daniel Amartey again. Can play both CB and CM, which ticks off Ranieri's boxes. I think he'll combine nicely with Kante. RB... Trippier? That's really the only one I can think of that I know has some proven quality and would suit us. If only we had someone like Christian Fuchs that could play at RB.

I think Austin will be notably cheaper and maybe a little more grounded considering no top 6 team will touch him. He hasn't added to his tally since he went off for hamstring problems, I think he's still out for one more week. We'll see how he goes. That said, QPR might try to milk us, knowing that he will leave on a free in July.

What to do about Dyer? I still can't believe Swansea gave us Dyer. Get him in for good in January, or should we wait and see?
Yeah agreed. Wonder what we'd get for him if we elected to sell him.

Amartey would be a good get. Trippier only just landed at Spurs. I doubt he'd come to us on loan. Could always ask of course!

Should be even cheaper if we could get him to agree to come to Leicester. He'd be a big improvement on our extras at the moment.

Give him a month and see what he does! I'd love to get Dyer in but only once we're sure he fits the team chemistry and structure (I expect he will).

Alrighty, according to Ranieri's presser, we have zero intentions of selling Vardy, Mahrez, and Schlupp this January. If the owner's vision is top 5, than it is essential that we continue to keep the team's quality and carry on adding to it.

Vardy is fine after his wrist took a hit against Southampton. However, Ulloa will miss Palace. Now that this message is know, it would surely tell Kramaric to perform in training so he can at least make the bench.

Ulloa out against Palace is huge, especially considering how good they are in their set pieces. Palace were a team that caused us a lot of drama both times (The start of our horrid run, and Pearson getting 'sacked') the match is at home, and I don't want any Paper-Scissor-Rock results (West Ham>Palace>Leicester>West Ham). I want to say I would be satisfied with a draw, but I can't but feel we should be aiming for a lot more than that at home (Like West Ham, Palace are also excellent travellers).

Again, this match will not finish 0-0, but how should we tackle this? Same team that finished against Soton? At least we will ensure that Mahrez doesn't start on the wing. I also feel a penalty will decide this match.

Oho, now here's some liquid gold, every single one of Vardy's goals for Halifax Town:

As you would notice, this is where the @vardy7 Twitter handle comes from. He was the top goalscorer for Halifax as well as their Player of the Year as the Shaymen got promoted from the Northern Premier League (Tier 7) to the Conference North. Of course, he would take a further step up to the Conference after that.

Also:

Ranieri!

Incredible stats. Still got to reach that 42 first and foremost (Yes 42, I want to be better off than last year.)
A clean sheet! Hallelujah!

Amazing what can happen when you don't go down 2-0 by halftime...

Indeed. Palace spent so much time on trying to nullify us that they pretty much killed off any attacking drive of their own. Only after we got ahead and after the subs did we start to lose shape. Otherwise, they never were seriously threatening us.

It's a really good win that has given us some serious breathing space. Really, the worst position we could be this week is 6th.

We still have to press on getting the points. We will need Ulloa for West Brom to ease pressure of Vardy. Not that I worry about Vardy, just more on the fact that Albrighton was being a real silly that game. I mean, you would think after the 5th high cross that the Palace defenders had the air covered and that we need to get it on the floor, or at least a rapid daisy cutter to him.

Ranieri has confirmed what we both know: Lotsa changes with Vardy there to give support from the stands. One thing I forgot about is Dyer is cup-tied, so we won't see him. The Mail predicts this team, and quite frankly, I'm in agreement with it (Even that bet):
2DD086D300000578-3290240-image-a-7_1445894902407.jpg

We have got some really good depth, and I don't mind the 2nd XI giving everything they have for this game. As well as Hull are performing, I think they've got a lot to lose since they're still not as secure as they would like to be.

For us, I would like a good cup run, and I do like the League Cup. I still think we need to make the most of our fixtures while we still can. I want some of these second XI guys to be ready for the big games.

Should be an interesting game to watch tomorrow. I think it will be 1-0, and it will be the King of Leicester that will get us through (although I can see Dodoo getting a goal.

The Bossman kept his word. He's paid for the pizzas, but the boys had to make their own:
http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/ra...r-squad-enjoy-clean-sheet-reward-2772312.aspx

Interesting teambonding exercise that. Who would you want to make your pizza, and who's pizza would you stay away from? Lol. (Note Matty James. He's posted a few pics and videos of himself back in training. He could make that midfield battle very interesting).

An extra little sweetener for the fans going to the Brom game:

Well done to the club!

OK, Brom thoughts... honestly, I'm a little worried. I'm hoping the Hull loss hasn't taken the wind out of our sails a bit. Vardy should've buried his 1 on 1 chance (good thing Mahrez got the rebound, and Vardy converted his penalty) and we really should've held on for the last 15. Ranieri would be very annoyed by that.

Ulloa is fit and will be considered for selection. His height will provide some relief for Vardy against the big men. I can easily see Ulloa starting the 2nd half. The big question is; will it be Mahrez or Okazaki that be up there with Vardy? Any thoughts on Okazaki? Because he seems to be getting a fair old whack for his performances.

Weird to think we were worried about our midfield and confident about our forward line just 3 months ago. Now we're looking for a replacement striker, RB, and backup keeper... speaking of:
CSOoBgJUAAAowZs.jpg

Word from Japan: Will sell plenty of shirts in Japan (Has got a masculine Samurai expression), but the idea of a Japanese Goalkeeper? It's as 'good' as it sounds.

I like the look of that keeper. He's bloody massive!

As for West Brom, they're very good defensively but I'm not too worried. They offer very little in attack which could help. Don't see the Hull loss worrying us, it was basically a 2nd 11.

Ulloa should start with Mahrez on the wing or in behind the hole. We should be looking to get on the front foot from the get go here.

I like the look of that keeper. He's bloody massive!

As for West Brom, they're very good defensively but I'm not too worried. They offer very little in attack which could help. Don't see the Hull loss worrying us, it was basically a 2nd 11.

Ulloa should start with Mahrez on the wing or in behind the hole. We should be looking to get on the front foot from the get go here.

Is this a bad time to say he's actually smaller than Kasper? (Kasper - 189cm, Kawashima - 185cm, Shinji - 174cm)

Yeah fair enough. Glad you're more confident on this. As long as we keep it grounded, we should be fine. Let's just hope this is one of Myhill's bad games (despite 6 clean sheets, he's conceded 11.)

I'd like that, at least have some chance of Albrighton's crosses being useful. If not, I'd actually like to see Dyer get a chance if Albrighton is going to keep dinging them in. I do hope we make a statement after the Hull performance, (worst performance of the season). I want Vardy to get number 8 with another three points!

Never in doubt FT ;)

I sometimes give the boys too little credit. I feared the worst when we went 1-0 down. Thank goodness for our persistence and energy. It was truly a win for football! Amazing to think we made a West Brom game exciting!

It's just amazing to think as soon as Vardy got that ball, I knew it was going to be a goal. Just that confidence and pace, just brilliant!

Vardy and Mahrez aside, Albrighton certainly picked up his game, Kante was his usual self, and wow, Big Wes, I thought he had a pretty good game.

Watford is coming over for the big show, who I hate to say it, but they have looked somewhat of a polished side in attack and defense (even if they haven't scored that many goals.) That Ighalo, been alright for them. To think it was meant to be Prune Face that was meant to be the star. If I recall correctly, he was a 'loanee' to Watford, before Udinese released him from his contract to allow him to sign for Watford on a free.

Not to worry, I think it's time we reminded Watford what a real attacking partnership is like. This is a game that we should be winning regardless of our current situation. We've got to keep up with our title rivals after all, lol.

Question is... who should partner Vardy? Fuchs should be back, but that leaves a fair bit of questions on who to start. Schlupp and Albrighton combined really well, you've got to have Mahrez as well. Should we try Vardy-Mahrez again like against Palace? Or bring in one of Okazaki/Ulloa? (I just know Ulloa will score off a sweet cross, I can feel it.) Ah, options.

OK, here are our internationals this time around:
VXHygwf.png

There will be some question marks on Morgan on how fit he will be for the Newcastle game. We might see Benny get some time in. I expect Schlupp and Mahrez might be a little tired from their trips, so expect to see Dyer possibly having a bit more time.

Also, don't know about you, but I quite liked that Nyom guy. Seems like someone we could use at Right Back. I feel like we're really starting to find our defensive ability. There is obviously room for improvement, but I think the fact that the last goal conceded in open play was against Arsenal suggests we have certainly taken some lessons to heart. Now if only we can put some men on the posts and work on clearing the ball away for corners and stop conceding (or looking like) silly penalties.

At least it looks like we know how to defend against teams that want to comeback. That Andy King sub really pleased me. He just killed Watford's momentum dead. Not bad for a 4 min cameo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jatz

Moomba's comment was of interest. He believes in the importance of the person who sets up the assist. This is of course the 'Hockey Assist,' where up to two players can be credited with making the goal.

Key passes are nice, but I'm interested in the actual hockey assist itself.

I am in the opinion that Kante has a lot to do in making these hockey assists, so I went back through all 25 goals to see what the real story is:
upload_2015-11-9_23-8-40.png

Hockey Assist Leaders (Key Passes)
Total 14 (113)
Kante 4 (9)
Okazaki 2 (6)
Mahrez 1 (19)
Albrighton 1 (18)
Drinkwater 1 (16)
Schlupp 1 (7)
Dyer 1 (2)
Simpson 1 (2)
Huth 1 (1)
Morgan 1 (0) [According to Sqwaka, The Tottenham Hockey Assist Doesn't count]

Set Piece Assisters:
Kante 2
Morgan 1
Schlupp 1
De Laet 1
Drinkwater 1

Unsure 2

Uncredited Role:
Okazaki 2
Drinkwater 2
Ulloa 2
Morgan 2
Schmeichel 2
King 1
De Laet 1
Kante 1
Huth 1

Interesting note: No goal has come from Fuchs yet in any capacity (4 key passes).

I may have covered more than I needed to with the others, but I think it shows that Kante certainly has had his influence, with at least 7 goals coming from something he did. Not bad from our midfield duo.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-9_22-49-9.png
    upload_2015-11-9_22-49-9.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Surprisingly only an hour. I had all of the highlights at the tip of my fingers, so all I had to do was watch the action (I will admit I had to consult the text commentary for any free kicks or corners). Also, since the footage I had isn't in HD quality, sometimes I had to tell the players apart by their boots (I had to figure out if it was Albrighton or King that hoofed it to Vardy against West Ham).

I will keep that table updated, because I think it will provide us an interesting outlook on a player's contribution to the winning score. It's also pretty neat to keep track of stats that you can't get public access too.

For now, as I'm sure you're already aware, Vardy finally broke through to win Player of the Month (It was actually leaked by the Leicester Mercury as soon as they announced the nominees):
2E4AB30A00000578-3311646-image-a-1_1447152562487.jpg

You know, it's amazing to think that Mahrez and Vardy could've easily and legitimately clean swept the awards so far this season. Let's hope that just like last season, the award does nothing to slow us down.

Also, the Guardian Team of the Season so far:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/11/premier-league-team-season-so-far

We know about the usual duo, but take a look on the bench, it's Drinky! It seems at least someone has picked up on him. A nice turnaround compared to last season. He has certainly become a leader on the pitch as well, Cambiasso certainly has helped his development! Also, Ranieri is the manager.

Also, just for the lulz:
CTiNrjGXIAAdyV4.jpg

Big challenges ahead, but truth be told, not the end of the world. Unlike West Ham, we're getting points from those around us, which helps us out more. Besides, so what if we lose to the big 4? As long as we continue what we're doing, we should be in a strong position. I just wish we played Liverpool and Chelsea sooner.

Alright, the international break round up:

1. Schmeichel – Pretty much Denmark’s MOTM in the first game, and was up there for the 2nd. If not for him, Denmark would’ve been utterly trounced. Made an excellent save against Zlatan that needs to be seen to be believed. However, Zlatan did get his revenge in the follow up game. Weird to think Kasper’s got better defenders with us (Fun fact: Haven’t conceded a goal in open play since Arsenal. Now if we can get some men on the posts, and stop giving away silly penalties, we’re going to be fully set for January.)

5. Morgan – Full 90 against Panama. Had a very solid game. Full 90 against Haiti. Again very solid. Might be a bit tired… but guys… it’s Newcastle, lol.

9. Has a broken wrist, busted knees, rolled ankle, pulled groin, has a chest infection, dodgy hips and a stubbed toe… he’s also apparently been lit on fire and has been like that the whole season. He should be fine for at least 45 mins (should start) this Saturday.

10. King – Started and did a very good job in covering for Bale against the Dutch. Played the full 90.

15. Schlupp – Didn’t get off the bench against Comoros for the first game. 0-0 draw. Came on as an injury replacement at the 38 minute mark, and was MOTM as he made the assist for the 2nd goal as Ghana move on to the next stage of qualifying. There were a lot of people impressed with his performance, some wondering why the heck he didn’t start. It sounded like his best game for Ghana to date to have people talking about our Jeff like that.

16. Lawrence – Also started against the Dutch… as the number 9. Didn’t get any goals, but my god he had the fans entertained. He was making a lot of chances and shots. It’s just weird since he seems to be played all over the park at his clubs and nation. Either way, I’m hoping that when he comes back here, he’s ready to make an impact, because he’s looking like a real player. Where to play him is another situation.

19. Kramaric – Came on for 8 minutes. The game was already won by then. Not much to comment there. It should be noted that the Croatian manager was warned that he will only pick players that are regulars for his club. He might get a chance against Newcastle if Vardy’s injured, but I dare say Ulloa and Okazaki will get first dibs on that.

20. Okazaki – Didn’t play against Singapore. Got a goal against Cambodia. If Vardy is injured, we could see some interesting dynamics between him and Ulloa if paired together as he plays off the bigger man.

26. Mahrez – Where to even start… Riyad’s got that Leicester confidence about him. Algeria went 2-0 down to Tanzania in the first game (not his fault), Riyad got the assist and hockey assist for both goals for the 2-2 result. Then, and then! Riyad goes on a murdering spree; hockey assist, won penalty, proper assist, and a goal of his own as Algeria won 7-0 . There’s even a clip where Riyad shows some excellent ball control to stop an aerial ball that went over the Tanzania player’s head, as he gets the ball to virtually a complete stop just in front of him and dribbles off. If I find it, I’ll show you. One note though: He should also take care when doing the knee slide on a dodgy pitch, or else it could lead to a nasty injury.

Also... I wouldn't mind a very cheeky bid for Slimani. He and Mahrez go along very well. I'd say if we can get him to Leicester, not only do we have our 2nd goalscorer, but we give Mahrez more reason to stay. Algerian fans are keen for him to join us.

28. Fuchs – Full 90 against Switzerland. Very solid game from him.

33. Inler – 74 mins against Slovakia in the 3-2 win, and another 60 mins against Austria. Solid games from the Swiss captain. Still needs to learn to play with our faster tempo if he wants in.

Oh, just in case you haven’t seen it… you know how Austria and Switzerland are rivals, right? Well, Fuchs and Inler decided to have a little Captain’s Tussle at the training ground:

Well, King for a Week! Now that we're up top, it's entirely in our hands to ensure we stay there! Lol.

Kante MOTM, Drinkwater 2nd, everyone had a pretty good game. Our defense is looking better and better, and we're still got our attacking edge. Good to see Ulloa and Okazaki in the goals as well. I think that starting XI is just about bang on for now. Ulloa got the assist and goal, and looking at this reactions for both of them, he seems extremely pleased (He's just glad he's out there making contributions anyway he can.) We've also done ourselves a big favour with that 3 goal win, now the GD is more respectable.

Sooo... we've got ourselves some 'Kingmakers' coming up. First with United. They have a CL game along with a few doubts, so I think we're playing them at a very opportune time (I also think that about Swansea, so hopefully Monk hangs around for another two weeks). We were lucky we had the opportunity to rest Vardy when needed, and with Mahrez and Schlupp more refreshed, I think we'll be able to take on the shield. Yeah, we're the top goal scorers in the league now (the sword) and they've got the least goals conceded (the shield). We certainly have the tools for the job if both Ulloa and Vardy play, it's up to everyone to ensure their end product is quality.

That's also a weird thought: Win this, and give ourselves breathing space to United, 4 points to be exact. It's going to be a huge test to see how far we come, but I'd dare say that if we get some decent points in the next two games, I think we've done well to reduce the pressure even if the next set of results go against us. Just remember as hard as it is for us, teams are just as worried about playing us.

Let us savour this week and just have a good time. Just remember that there is one certain player that will be enjoying this the most, remembering full well what League 1 was like.

Sorry for the intrusion guys, but I just wanted to say how great it is to see Leicester doing well.

Top of the ladder! Absolutely extraordinary stuff and I'm loving what Ranieri has done for your club and have had a soft spot for him under coaching us for four years in the early 2000s.

Congratulations on a great start! My boys are gone for this season so I'm hoping you guys maintain this great form. You've been the best performing team since April according to this ladder.

_86813313_premierleaguetablesince4april.jpg

Hello hello

I've just spent the last 15 minutes reading all the posts from the last month or two. I've been away in New Zeeeeland and my friends aren't big football fans so I wasn't able to watch the games. Still unsure what's been going on with the team but at least now I feel like I am slowly catching up but I do wish I had been around to see them go so well.

I'm slightly nervous about Saturday night/Sunday morning, the boys have only played one of the big 5 so far and they lost 2-5. I'd be really happy with a draw, and a goal from Vardy.

Hello hello

I've just spent the last 15 minutes reading all the posts from the last month or two. I've been away in New Zeeeeland and my friends aren't big football fans so I wasn't able to watch the games. Still unsure what's been going on with the team but at least now I feel like I am slowly catching up but I do wish I had been around to see them go so well.

I'm slightly nervous about Saturday night/Sunday morning, the boys have only played one of the big 5 so far and they lost 2-5. I'd be really happy with a draw, and a goal from Vardy.

Well basically:
CUW9lLEWsAEyMoI.jpg

Savoir it every moment you get, it's ours for the week! I'm sure you can find a montage or two of Vardy's run of 10 as you can appreciate what our man has been doing to keep us chugging along.

As for the game to come, think little of the Arsenal game. No one would've been able to stop Arsenal that day, be it United, City, or even Bayern (which Arsenal did defeat in their hot run.) The heartening thing to take was that we were the only ones to draw blood with Vardy. No one else was able to. I think we did rather well in that game offensively, but they were something special. With United PSV, and some injury doubts over their stars, I don't think we'll see another masterclass... then again, with the way they have been playing, it would only be from the back.

Just sit back and enjoy the show. Even if we lose, we've built ourselves something decent to fall back on (even if we lose twice, we can't be lower than 5th). I expect the boys to give it a red hot go, because now is the perfect time to play United, and if we can back up against Swansea... let's just say we're in a beautiful place.

Today, let us debunk the 2nd most common myth about Leicester; if our attacking stops, we'll fall down since our defence would be split open.

The table ever since we've played Arsenal, with Simpson and Fuchs as FBs:
upload_2015-11-25_16-14-49.png

Our FA rank? Tied 5th with just 6 conceded. Only Stoke, United, Arsenal, and Southampton have done better. Also, Stoke, United, and Arsenal are the only ones to have kept more clean sheets. Do also remember that those 6 goals include 2 penalties and 4 set pieces. In other words, not one from open play.

Yes, 6 games is not exactly a fair indicator, but considering we were conceding goals to the likes of Villa and Sunderland just beforehand? I think it's fair to say that we have certainly improved back there, and will be looking to build upon it. We haven't lost any of our attacking potency either (15 in the first 7 games for comparison's sake). The pieces are finally coming together for Ranieri. I think we are properly prepared to tackle these 6 upcoming games.

(Also, did anyone notice Stoke? 4 For, 2 Against? 13 points with 4 wins? Did Tony Pulis come back to Stoke?)

Jatz

Well, our man has finally etched himself into history, in more ways than one. Aside from the big one, he also became our top goalscorer in a PL season since Tony Cottee in 99/00 with 13. If you're going to break the record, that's how you do it. Fuchs with an absolute beastly pass to serve it to Vardy to finish it off.

Of course, the game didn't quite finish the way we hoped. Mind you, it's a good point, and to be fair, a point was the fair result. But I can't help but feel opinions are strongly mixed on this one. The only universal agreement is that Fuchs was our clear best (and he was a beast) and Vardy was 2nd. Heck, there's some confusion on who was to blame for the Bastian goal (I didn't mention it before because of their midfield antics, but he was the only other one that did well in my books apart from Smalling.) Thanks for pointing out that despite all that possession, they didn't make one attack in the box (as noted, I only felt threatened by the set pieces). However, even then, I think it was clear without Okazaki, we allowed them to swamp in. Mind you, if Ulloa converted just one of his chances, it would've been a masterstroke, and then we could've bought on King (I'm very surprised we didn't bring him on at all, he should've come on once it was clear our midfield was being outnumbered).

Anyway, just interested to hear who you thought did well for us, and well, who kinda let the team down (as well as who you think should get the blame for the goal). Also... what the heck we should do for Swansea? Also bearing in mind Dyer is not allowed to play that game.

The second striker is especially important, because I feel like with Ulloa and Okazaki, it feels like they can cover one thing, but can't do the other. It is a bit frustrating.

As I said, amazing that I'm thinking like this against a United draw of all things... my word. At least we're still joint top!

Well, it wasn't a thriller in comparison to last season's game but it was still exciting to watch. I think Leicester looked stronger and more threatening than Man United throughout the game - especially the first half anyway. I loved how the whole team celebrated Vardy breaking the record, even Schmeichel was cheering down the other end of the ground.

Yeah I think Man United's possession doesn’t mean that much. Going into the game, I'm pretty sure I saw that Man United had one of the highest percentages of time in possession and Leicester had the least from this season so far. It may mean they concede less goals because they are hogging it in the midfield but it definitely hasn't helped them score. I would say their rate of scoring/time in possession would be very low.

Rooney was pretty woeful wasn’t her? His attempts at goals were pathetic. I think ManU should have subbed him off during the first half. And I agree in relation to their antics as you termed it - they were really targeting Mahrez. And I still thought Mahrez was one of our best players but the pass from Fuchs was second to none.

I think it was Okazaki’s fault for the Schweinsteiger goal but then again, given Okazaki’s size, it would have been difficult for him to have come out as a winner in the wrestle they were having. If I was to be really picky then I would say that Albrighton’s passes and corner near goal weren’t that great – there were a couple that were just too high for Vardy or Mahrez to take.

How great is football this season! :D

The lads are enjoying themselves as well
Sad to see the Vardy run come to an end but I think it might be good for him. No pressure every game now. Mahrez was awesome on the weekend.

I've been really impressed with our whole squad. Even Danny Simpson! How wrong I was about him, he's been simply brilliant!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back