Toast Lenny Hayes set for Saints return as assistant coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Question to all this rejoicing in the Lenny news.

What makes you so excited? Is there something from his coaching that I’ve missed? That GWS let him go during the COVID cuts showed they didn’t see him as indispensable.

I’m genuinely curious. Me and a couple of other posters were told we were falling for “messiah” syndrome by advocating going all in for Clarko, a 4 time premiership coach, but many of the same posters taking pots at us over Clarko seem dreadfully excited about a former star player with no demonstrative results as a coach coming back to the club as a coach.

The Lenny situation illustrates a much more accurate example of misguided “messiah” like behavior than those of us wanting to have a crack at Clarko.
He is one of the best midfielders who has played for the Saints and has coached a strong midfield for gws who made a grand final. I'm absolutely pumped he is coming back. Loves the club has more leadership in his little finger than most at the club as well. Welcome home Lenny😍

At least I don't delete my posts when embarrassed by how wrong they are.

Great work mowman and Rors. Sharing info with fellow Sainters about a favourite son. I for one appreciate it, as most true Saints supporters

Great work mowman and Rors. Sharing info with fellow Sainters about a favourite son. I for one appreciate it, as most true Saints supporters would.
Great post

Last edited:
I think now is a good time to repost my Lenny write up (from 2021):

Isn't Lenny farming cows in the Blue Mountains these days?

Sounds very mythical. Almost like we need him to take on that old mentorship role and pull him out of an early retirement, although make no mistake, he is reluctant at first. Cut to: the boys rock up to training for pre-season, on a very dark and foggy day at Moorabbin. Ratts and Steele turn around and face the group, Steele is noticeably hardened both in aura and stature as he says “boys, I went on a pilgrimage, and I’ve found someone who can help us, someone who was one of us, a long, long time ago”. The group look around and murmurs break out. Steele whistles this ancient sounding whistle, a sound so great it pierces a line through the fog almost summoning someone or something. Then, out of the Moorabbin haze walks a weathered figure, Lenny… Lenny Haze (sorry had to)… a legend rising from the fog. The group gasps, Rowan Marshall audibly whispers “my sweet God”. Lenny stands there and takes in the group, he looks gruff but determined, strong but agile, as he yells, “alright gents, we’ve got a lot do work to do, and I‘ve brought some friends to help me”… then almost like an incantation had been uttered, the fog dissipates and all living St.Kilda icons have returned (and even some spectres) rising from the smoke all over the ground. Lenny’s even brought some cows for tackling practice and the Plugger pig is there, although it’s much, much wiser and battle worn. Ratts shows a thin smile as his eyes widen, beholding the great cast of heroism. A beating drum line seems to rise and fade, in an inevitable march of sorts, as Steele turns to the 2022 2023 playing group, lifts up his arms up with all the iconic figures by his side, and in a matter of fact way states, “the 2022 2023 premiership cup is for the taking lads”. Thunder strikes, Lenny grimaces and the marching drums from the St.Kilda song start as pre-season commences…

Great work mowman and Rors. Sharing info with fellow Sainters about a favourite son. I for one appreciate it, as most true Saints supporters
Don't know what your on about as i had a Mod check my deleted posts and there is nothing about Lenny , anyway you're on ignore

Last edited:
Don't know what your on about as i had a Mod check my deleted posts and there is nothing about Lenny , anyway you're on ignore

Must have got an Irucandji on his nutsack up north. He's in one of his moods.

Question to all this rejoicing in the Lenny news.

What makes you so excited? Is there something from his coaching that I’ve missed? That GWS let him go during the COVID cuts showed they didn’t see him as indispensable.

I’m genuinely curious. Me and a couple of other posters were told we were falling for “messiah” syndrome by advocating going all in for Clarko, a 4 time premiership coach, but many of the same posters taking pots at us over Clarko seem dreadfully excited about a former star player with no demonstrative results as a coach coming back to the club as a coach.

The Lenny situation illustrates a much more accurate example of misguided “messiah” like behavior than those of us wanting to have a crack at Clarko.
For me it's two things, one, it looks like this is really happening so there is something to get excited about. And two, as an assistant there is less (percieved?) expectation for him to turn us around over night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think now is a good time to repost my Lenny write up (from 2021):

Sounds very mythical. Almost like we need him to take on that old mentorship role and pull him out of an early retirement, although make no mistake, he is reluctant at first. Cut to: the boys rock up to training for pre-season, on a very dark and foggy day at Moorabbin. Ratts and Steele turn around and face the group, Steele is noticeably hardened both in aura and stature as he says “boys, I went on a pilgrimage, and I’ve found someone who can help us, someone who was one of us, a long, long time ago”. The group look around and murmurs break out. Steele whistles this ancient sounding whistle, a sound so great it pierces a line through the fog almost summoning someone or something. Then, out of the Moorabbin haze walks a weathered figure, Lenny… Lenny Haze (sorry had to)… a legend rising from the fog. The group gasps, Rowan Marshall audibly whispers “my sweet God”. Lenny stands there and takes in the group, he looks gruff but determined, strong but agile, as he yells, “alright gents, we’ve got a lot do work to do, and I‘ve brought some friends to help me”… then almost like an incantation had been uttered, the fog dissipates and all living St.Kilda icons have returned (and even some spectres) rising from the smoke all over the ground. Lenny’s even brought some cows for tackling practice and the Plugger pig is there, although it’s much, much wiser and battle worn. Ratts shows a thin smile as his eyes widen, beholding the great cast of heroism. A beating drum line seems to rise and fade, in an inevitable march of sorts, as Steele turns to the 2022 2023 playing group, lifts up his arms up with all the iconic figures by his side, and in a matter of fact way states, “the 2022 2023 premiership cup is for the taking lads”. Thunder strikes, Lenny grimaces and the marching drums from the St.Kilda song start as pre-season commences…

Don't mess with Lenny's cows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back