Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to put a positive spin on this whole saga (as hard and as tenuous as it is) this last 3 years is the catalyst we needed to wipe the slate clean. I love Hirdy but his whole era started the wrong way.
We hired a guy with no experience who was hesitant to coach. We hired him because of his name, we then went and grabbed the hottest property coach on the market who was already burned out and put him in a role that wasn't suitable. We threw money at the football department, we tried to cram 3 years of fitness into 1, we traded for players to fill needs instead of drafting and developing.

We took shortcuts at every turn and then wondered why we didn't have success, and then watched in horror as the whole thing blew up in the most catastrophic way possible.
That doesn't make the people involved ( from the board all the way down to the fans) as bad people. But it does mean that Essendon has been doing things badly for the last 15 years, possibly a little longer.

I don't care if we don't win a flag in the next 3 years. What I care about is that we give Worsfold and everyone at the club time to get things right. Don't try and rush success, because even if you do achieve it, it will be brief. We want long sustained success, and that can only come from a patient building of a strong foundation.
Just being Essendon, isn't enough to get success. Of all the bagging of the way Carlton have done things recently, we have done the same thing. Clung to the past instead of adapting.
Well said sir.:thumbsu:

Couldn't find the exact thread but what are your thoughts on what Mav Weller said about Guy McKenna recently?

Thought he sounded pretty bitter about being delisted.

To be honest when I was reading it, I didn't put two and two together and come up with the coach he was talking about now being with us. Still thought he sounded really petulant, assuming the context was as it was reported rather than someone going full Damo/Caro when writing the article.

sounded pretty poor tbh.

Obviously disappointed but he said it himself he had a poor year except at the end he put some good games together. I assume GC would have had to cut their list size so they would have had to make hard list decisions. AFL history is littered with players that are more hard done by Mav weller

sounded pretty poor tbh.

Obviously disappointed but he said it himself he had a poor year except at the end he put some good games together. I assume GC would have had to cut their list size so they would have had to make hard list decisions. AFL history is littered with players that are more hard done by Mav weller
This is why I am so impressed with Hardingham's response since being delisted. Now plays really well for our VFL side and isn't bitter about it.

This is why I am so impressed with Hardingham's response since being delisted. Now plays really well for our VFL side and isn't bitter about it.
I was too. But he did leave to play for Pascoe Vale in 2016. Not because he was bitter or anything, but because he was offered more money.

Anyway, side issue to the main point you were making.

I was too. But he did leave to play for Pascoe Vale in 2016. Not because he was bitter or anything, but because he was offered more money.

Anyway, side issue to the main point you were making.

Pascoe Vale has more money to spend than Essendon's VFL side.

I hope I am over analysis it, anyway its a good signing for them and what the heck, don't they wear an old version of the Bomber jumper

Pascoe Vale has more money to spend than Essendon's VFL side.

I hope I am over analysis it, anyway its a good signing for them and what the heck, don't they wear an old version of the Bomber jumper
EDFL has no restrictions on player money. AFL Vic cap the VFL unfortunately.

So. Woosha.

What does he do this year? Just play all the new kids and draftees? Or still try and ease them into it, while playing the rag tag bunch of top ups who we'll get?

We might as well give him an extra year now too- there's no point judging him on 2016 results at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So. Woosha.

What does he do this year? Just play all the new kids and draftees? Or still try and ease them into it, while playing the rag tag bunch of top ups who we'll get?

We might as well give him an extra year now too- there's no point judging him on 2016 results at all.
This year is a right off in terms of Woosha's performance. He cannot be judged. I believe he'll see this as a great opportunity to see the kids. The senior players come back fresh next year. Could be an interesting 2017 season.

Would Woosha want to sit through a full rebuild long term?
Maybe, maybe not. But that's for him to decide, not the club.

The way you put it I assumed that you meant that the club should wait and see how the season goes before doing anything. Perhaps this isn't what you meant.

Would Woosha want to sit through a full rebuild long term?

Yes, coaches don't want to coach for 3years and leave they want too teach players and build teams. He will want to win a flag and he'll be in it until that happens, I have zero doubt about that. I also don't believe Woosha would do a Ross Lyon and bugger off to another club.

Trying to put a positive spin on this whole saga (as hard and as tenuous as it is) this last 3 years is the catalyst we needed to wipe the slate clean. I love Hirdy but his whole era started the wrong way.
We hired a guy with no experience who was hesitant to coach. We hired him because of his name, we then went and grabbed the hottest property coach on the market who was already burned out and put him in a role that wasn't suitable. We threw money at the football department, we tried to cram 3 years of fitness into 1, we traded for players to fill needs instead of drafting and developing.

We took shortcuts at every turn and then wondered why we didn't have success, and then watched in horror as the whole thing blew up in the most catastrophic way possible.
That doesn't make the people involved ( from the board all the way down to the fans) as bad people. But it does mean that Essendon has been doing things badly for the last 15 years, possibly a little longer.

I don't care if we don't win a flag in the next 3 years. What I care about is that we give Worsfold and everyone at the club time to get things right. Don't try and rush success, because even if you do achieve it, it will be brief. We want long sustained success, and that can only come from a patient building of a strong foundation.
Just being Essendon, isn't enough to get success. Of all the bagging of the way Carlton have done things recently, we have done the same thing. Clung to the past instead of adapting.

Totally agree.

I hope you send that to the club, they need to hear this message loud and clear and only when they have heard this message can they start to be honest with themselves and take a better direction.

This club has chosen, as you point out to follow the Carlton template, when I believe there is only one example we should follow and that is the Hawthorn template.

This club has so lost the plot, I notice the most important words on the membership pack is Member, excuse me but the most important word should be the Essendon football club.

Totally agree.

I hope you send that to the club, they need to hear this message loud and clear and only when they have heard this message can they start to be honest with themselves and take a better direction.

This club has chosen, as you point out to follow the Carlton template, when I believe there is only one example we should follow and that is the Hawthorn template.

This club has so lost the plot, I notice the most important words on the membership pack is Member, excuse me but the most important word should be the Essendon football club.

I don't need to send it to the club as I don't believe I can do a better job than those we currently have there now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back