Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

An often talked about topic when it comes to coaches is the whole ordinary player = good coach, gun player = shite coach.
Our last 2 coaches were both gun players yet left a lot to be desired in the box. Of the current coaches in the league id say as players were:
Clarkson - average sniper
Ross Lyon - borderline ok
Simpson - above average
Longmire - above average
Hardwick - above average
Beverage - just ok
Roos - very good (never had an opponent though)
Hinkley -above average
Richardson - average
Buckey - Gun
Cameron - above average
Scott Bros - slightly above average
Eade - can't remember
I won't bother with the caretakers.

Buckley the only gun and plenty of questions on him. Matthews and Blight are the only 2 guns in recent times who have been great coaches.
The moral of the story...lets get a good ordinary player to coach. Woosha ticks that box but I think I'd prefer someone new.

I'll help with Eade. Multiple premiership player but just an honest footsoldier.

I was told once that awesome players often make poor coaches as they cant understand why everyone cant just play like they did, i think its somewhat true. I actually think Hirdy would have been a good coach but he just made poor choices. I think a massive reset is required across all departments. We are still ahead of Carlton so atleast theres that. ;)

I was told once that awesome players often make poor coaches as they cant understand why everyone cant just play like they did, i think its somewhat true. I actually think Hirdy would have been a good coach but he just made poor choices. I think a massive reset is required across all departments. We are still ahead of Carlton so atleast theres that. ;)

What were the poor choices Hird made?

What were the poor choices Hird made?

Umm trying to get the most out of players using Dank (legally) could be seen now as a poor choice. I will say im pro Hird and love him but even my one eyed support puts some of the blame at his feet. Either way a new coach is on his way and i really hope we get it right.

Show me the rule that says the AFL have to follow their own rules. How many times in the past have they made up policy on the run?

If you think clubs are going to be allowed to appoint non-accredited coaches after the last two years you are crazy.

It will happen until their are enough accredited coaches . You always have a transitional period when undertaking a significant change.

in our position, there is no way known we will be appointing a coach without AFL blessing. Just not gonna happen.

Even "if' there was a deal done with coach (not saying there is) - we would still go down the 'process' path - as the visual from outside is just as important as anything for us at this point in time.

When did I say a coach won't be approved by the AFL. What I said is the accreditation system is still in it's infancy and won't be in full force in 5 years.

The most important thing is if EFC and Worsfold come to terms then stop any selection process. We have previously wasted people's time with sham selection exercises.

Talking assistants here for a second, it was mentioned on 360 last night by Cameron Mooney (I know, I know but hear me out) that if a club offered Stevie J a one year contract as a player with a two year contract as a coach afterwards it might get a look in.

Thoughts?
I'd offer him a 3 year coaching deal if he doesn't get an offer, but otherwise no. Game's passed him.

Come on. One year. Couldn't be any worse than Cooney..
Having 2 Cooney's (in his current state) on the list is irresponsible.

Talking assistants here for a second, it was mentioned on 360 last night by Cameron Mooney (I know, I know but hear me out) that if a club offered Stevie J a one year contract as a player with a two year contract as a coach afterwards it might get a look in.

Thoughts?

Amm, the club has put us through a lot in the last few years, and if they sign anyone over 27 in this off season i'm gonna give it away for a few years. Its just not the direction we should be going.

Arresteddevelopmentsnoopy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Word on the street is that the players have specifically requested an older, experienced coach who will help the club get back to where it was , rather than take a punt on a young bloke which could either turn out like Beveridge or could turn out like Matthew Knights. My bet would be Worsfold, although I still feel he would prefer to coach the Crows due to his connections there. Other than Worsfold the other 'experienced' candidates would be Mark Harvey (please no), Gary Ayres (also please no), and ? Can't think of anyone else. Personally I'd love to see someone like Caracella or Dew given a crack at it but if its true the players prefer Worsfold then Worsfold would the preference of most including myself

The players are the last people to ask when selecting a coach.

Word on the street is that the players have specifically requested an older, experienced coach who will help the club get back to where it was , rather than take a punt on a young bloke which could either turn out like Beveridge or could turn out like Matthew Knights. My bet would be Worsfold, although I still feel he would prefer to coach the Crows due to his connections there. Other than Worsfold the other 'experienced' candidates would be Mark Harvey (please no), Gary Ayres (also please no), and ? Can't think of anyone else. Personally I'd love to see someone like Caracella or Dew given a crack at it but if its true the players prefer Worsfold then Worsfold would the preference of most including myself
Players shouldn't choose their coach. If the best available coach for us is an inexperienced coach, then that's what we should go for.

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Worsfold coaching us. The more I think of it, the more I realise that we need someone experienced like him.

At the end of the day we as supporters have to put up with whoever the club selects as coach until it goes pear shaped and we call for his sacking...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back