Remove this Banner Ad

onthewake

Debutant
Apr 18, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
By Steve Lavell 4:48 PM Fri 27 March, 2009
THE DEBUT of North Melbourne draftee Liam Anthony has been put on hold after stress fractures were discovered in his foot on Thursday.
Anthony was named on a wing in North's side to play Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday, but soreness after training prompted the club to send him for scans.
Chief of football Donald McDonald said the stress fractures could sideline the 21-year-old for up to six weeks.
"It's just a matter now of just assessing him next week and Con Mitropoulos, our doctor, will probably look at fitting him in a camwalker (boot)," he said.
"Initially there's going to be a bit of rest because he's going to have to stay off it for the healing process."
McDonald added that it was difficult to put a timeframe on when Anthony could push for AFL selection after his recovery, given teammate Matt Riggio took four weeks to overcome a shin stress reaction.
"He might only need the one or two weeks running around in the VFL, so we'll just have to wait and see how it all goes," he said.
Anthony, recruited at No. 43 in November's NAB AFL Draft, had been one of the Roos' stand-out performers over the summer.
Dean Laidley and his assistant coaches flagged his round one prospects soon after the first intra-club match early last month.
"The positive thing is he's had a fantastic preparation and he's very, very fit and has got a fantastic attitude towards his preparation," McDonald said.
"He's very disappointed. It was going to be his first game and he had all of his family ready to fly over.
"We were really looking forward to Liam adding a lot of bite to our midfield but, unfortunately, he won't be there. But we're confident he's going to be a long-term player for us."
Anthony was tight-lipped about his selection at Arden Street on Tuesday but said that three years' experience with WAFL club East Fremantle had helped his adjustment to the elite level.
First-round draft pick Jack Ziebell will line up against the Demons, while Andrew Swallow – who played just three games last year – takes Anthony's place in the final 22.
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

at least he didn't shrug it of and play then do some serious damage. was shattered when i heard the news.

Devastating. The only positive is that maybe a later start to the season will mean he won't fade away late in the season as first year players often do.

As dissappointing as it is, North still have depth to cover and by mid-season will have a few games under his belt to take him thru to the second half of the season. The Tigers who North face in Round 5, have no Cousins and possibily Son of Geoff (Raines) out for Round 5. Hawks will possibily lose their inspirational skipper with suspension in Round 3. Now settle ppl. It's not as depressing as you are making it out. Jesse Smith is someone who North miss but like anything, we have fit 22 players that have to stand up on match day to get the job done. Would most of you care to see North take unnecessary risks and play Liam Anthony?? I didn't think so.

Ur just basking in Superbowl glory still Woody.;)

It's bloody disappointing when along with Jesse, the exciting prospect of Anthony making a big impact for the club has now been delayed.

Not the end of the world, just a pain in the arse.:(

Basking coz I can. Did I tell you I got the Steelers @ 18-1 in the pre-season :D On the flipside, North squandered a small fortune of four figures to gain had they played out the last 3 quarters of R22 last season.. now that was a PAIN for my head, arse/ wallett & heart, I didn't need. 10-1 to make the Top 4. A minor injury to a couple players is merely a wet charlie. (just annoying not wrist slashing postin') Team results >>> individual player grief.

stress fractures are not good, can be troublesome, just Hirdy, Corey Jones etc etc.

As I've said before, I'm well experienced in stress fractures. If it's just a regulation metatarsal stress fracture then he will be back running after 4 weeks.

dr.nick_pic1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back