red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
SEPTEMBER 2018:
This thread will be for anything that doesn't have a home.
- Non-Football Stats Questions and Observations
- Non-Sports Stats Questions and Observations
- etc

Random posts that are just clogging up space as lonely threads

Off-topic + miscellaneous posts, maybe you want to get something off your chest, or you want to boast or whinge about something.

So I'm interested in stats about all sports, demographics, the weather, music charts, anything really. Maybe some of you are too. Maybe this thread will have some interest, maybe it won't. I'll get the ball rolling.

Human Sex Ratio
As a 15-64yo male, if you want the odds in your favour, there are 12 countries that have a male to female ratio below 0.9. Most are either in the Caribbean or Africa. The 12 include Anguilla, Antigua, Armenia, Curacao, El Salvador, and the US Virgin Islands. Whatever you do, don't go to Oman looking for a woman as it has the worst ratio, 1.31 males for every female. Saudi Arabia isn't far behind at 1.29.

If Africa and the Caribbean aren't your scene, Russia comes in at =16th for least males for every female at 0.91. Unfortunately Australia is on the wrong side of the ledger with 1.06 males for every female at birth, then 1.03 for 15-64yo.

As you play with the numbers a bit, the Eastern European countries start to make a showing. Russia (0.91), Estonia (0.91), Ukraine (0.92), Belarus (0.94), Latvia (0.95). No wonder this region is well known for mail-order brides.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2018.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_sex_ratio

Last edited:
A sport that lends itself to a lot of statistics is cricket. Cricinfo has a fabulous weekly column dedicated to cricket stats:

Ask Steven @ cricinfo

Some examples from the the last few columns:

Stuart Broad took seven wickets in the first innings at Lord's, all of them caught by different fielders (including one by himself). How rare is this?

Has anyone scored the winning runs in his only Test match?

I noticed that in the fourth Test at Kingston in 1954-55, Australia's two centuries were scored by their opening bowlers. How often has this happened?

Who is the only player to feature in a quadruple-century partnership in first-class cricket after going in at No. 9?

Chris Read scored a century for Nottinghamshire the other day, and the next-best score in the innings was only 10. Was this a record?

In the recent first Test against West Indies, Australia declared behind on first innings, but won in the end. How often has this happened in Tests?

Have any Test cricketers also played tennis for their country in the Davis Cup?

I'm writing on the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking, and was wondering if there were any cricketers on board?

Further to last week's question about the cricketer who died on the Titanic, did any first-class players die in the World Trade Center disaster?

A sport that lends itself to a lot of statistics is cricket.

I'm a cricket fan and have plans to compile a Test match database similar to my footy db. Have got the schema sorted but the amount of time required on top of the footy stuff has been stopping me for several years.

But yeah, some of those Cricinfo stats pieces are fantastic.

Man o man. I wish the AFL and other footy leagues were as up to date on the past as Cricket is. Even half as up to date. Would be the bee's knees.

Until then, it's left to us folk (who are doing a fine job, I might add).

I'm a cricket fan and have plans to compile a Test match database similar to my footy db.

I used to keep Test & ODI cicket data, and had branches on my website.

The Test stuff was complied pre-internet, I had to type 1000+ scorecards in by hand. I also had a subscription to a quarterly booklet-type thing, whose only contents were scorecards.

I used to keep Test & ODI cicket data, and had branches on my website.

The Test stuff was complied pre-internet, I had to type 1000+ scorecards in by hand. I also had a subscription to a quarterly booklet-type thing, whose only contents were scorecards.

Was that The Cricketer Quarterly?

Used to love that magazine. Best source of scorecards for county cricket.

Some members of the Tennis 1000 wins club.

Martina Navratilova (1444-227.)
Chris Evert (1309-146.)
Jimmy Connors (1241-277.)
Ivan Lendl (1071-239.)
Margaret Court (1177-106.)

Also, what's the greatest age difference in a match?

Would love to know where you got the win-loss record for Margaret Court. I have found it quite difficult to obtain complete career records for players who played prior to the open era.

Would love to know where you got the win-loss record for Margaret Court. I have found it quite difficult to obtain complete career records for players who played prior to the open era.

I, too, have found it difficult to find these sort of numbers but when I found the following thread, I was like, OMG yes I've found it.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=156313

Still yet to find EGC's, Rod Laver's and Newc's career records though.

Some members of the Tennis 1000 wins club.

Martina Navratilova (1444-227.)
Chris Evert (1309-146.)
Jimmy Connors (1241-277.)
Ivan Lendl (1071-239.)
Margaret Court (1177-106.)

Also, what's the greatest age difference in a match?

Would love to know how many of those losses she doesn't count because she lost to a lesbian ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been thinking about this for a while. Many forums have a thread dedicated to random, low-content and/or off-topic discussion, so I thought I'd test the water here. Many people are into random trivia, probably comes in handy on trivia nights. Personally I like anything that relates to stats and numbers, no surprise given I studied tertiary level mathematics and my work involves data analysis and database administration.

So I'm interested in stats about all sports, demographics, the weather, music charts, anything really. Maybe some of you are too. Maybe this thread will have some interest, maybe it won't. I'll get the ball rolling.

Human Sex Ratio
As a 15-64yo male, if you want the odds in your favour, there are 12 countries that have a male to female ratio below 0.9. Most are either in the Caribbean or Africa. The 12 include Anguilla, Antigua, Armenia, Curacao, El Salvador, and the US Virgin Islands. Whatever you do, don't go to Oman looking for a woman as it has the worst ratio, 1.31 males for every female. Saudi Arabia isn't far behind at 1.29.

If Africa and the Caribbean aren't your scene, Russia comes in at =16th for least males for every female at 0.91. Unfortunately Australia is on the wrong side of the ledger with 1.06 males for every female at birth, then 1.03 for 15-64yo.

As you play with the numbers a bit, the Eastern European countries start to make a showing. Russia (0.91), Estonia (0.91), Ukraine (0.92), Belarus (0.94), Latvia (0.95). No wonder this region is well known for mail-order brides.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2018.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_sex_ratio

Illuminating seeing how low the male sex ratio is in Poland and Russia for the over 65 y/o. Their male populace suffered massively in WW2 and are at 0.62-1 and 0.43-1 respectively. Russia's would also be simply because the make life span is pretty much only mid 60's anyway with a lot of hard work and vodka and smoking evident in the menfolk of cold war Soviet era age.

Germany also with 0.76-1 men ratio for over 65's would be a similar scenario, WW2 taking a savage toll on the menfolk of the time, with a large percentage either soldiers or conscripts in the Nazi era.

bump for post-footy season. I suggest many of us being fans of footy stats, are also fans of other (sports) statistics.

Which NRL players have won both the Dally M and Clive Churchill medals?

YEAR | PLAYER | DALLY M | CLIVE CHURCHILL
\1986 | Peter Sterling | 1986-87 | 1986
\1990 | Cliff Lyons | 1990, 1994 | 1987
\1993 | Ricky Stuart | 1993 | 1990
\1996 | Allan Langer | 1996 | 1992
\2001 | Andrew Johns | 1998-99,2002 | 2001
\2009 | Billy Slater | 2011 | 2009
\2013 | Cooper Cronk | 2013 | 2012
And just for the sake of completeness ...

Which AFL players have won both the Brownlow and Norm Smith medals?

YEAR | PLAYER | BROWNLOW | NORM SMITH
\1995 | Greg Williams | 1986,1994 | 1995
\2000 | James Hird | 1996 | 2000
\2003 | Nathan Buckley | 2003 | 2002
\2003 | Simon Black | 2002 | 2003
\2005 | Chris Judd | 2004, 2010 | 2005
\2011 | Jimmy Bartel | 2007 | 2011
\???? | Scott Pendlebury | ???? | 2010

Highest scoring NFL games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_scoring_NFL_games

Just yesterday, the Denver Broncos defeated the Dallas Cowboys in Dallas 51-48!!!

Watching that game at the moment. Totally insane play.

On Saturday (US time), Baylor University became the first team since 1930 to score 70 or more points in 3 straight games, and that's after scoring 69 in their first match. Here's how they've gone this season:

Baylor 69 - Wafford 3
Baylor 70 - Buffalo 13
Baylor 70 - LA Monroe 7
Baylor 73 - West Virginia 42 (last year Baylor lost to WVU 70-63)

Screw defense, I love high-scoring sport.

6-6 draws in major club soccer (list may not be complete)

1930-04-21: Leicester City v Arsenal
1960-10-22: Charlton Athletic v Middlesbrough
1999-08-07: KVC Westerlo v KRC Genk (highlights)
2010-05-05: Motherwell v Hibernian (highlights)

6-all-draws.JPG

Not sure what you mean by single. Anyway, the partnership above was a mere 356 runs. Here are two more instances of two 300s in the one innings, and with huge partnerships. Cricket nuts (like me) should know of the first match:
1988 - Sachin Tendulkar (326*) and Vinod Kambli (349*) - scorecard (664* partnership)
2006 - Mohammed Shaibaz (324*) and Manoj Kumar (320*) - article (721* partnership)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back