Luke McPharlin

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess you mean as part of the rebuild.

Before that Polak, Drum, Murphy, Campbell, Houghton. Those players all drafted by the club and using decent to very decent picks. All should be in their prime, and all are KPPs. Collectively and individually they gave us nothing. In contrast Bradley, Dawson, Tarrant, Croad, MacPharlin were not drafted, and as individuals gave more than the others gave collectively. Even Croad gave us more than any of them.

Draft picks are over-rated as a means for getting KPPs. Sure you need to draft some on the list. But far, far better to get Pav and MacPharlin on advanced breeding programs.

There was a definite move in 2008 and it has been referred to constantly by the club. Just because we had some handy players before that doesn't mean anything sinister to me?

Can't help but be stoked to hear McPharlin is playing on next year :)

Sure it's worrying that we really could have Mcpharlin, Sandilands and Pavlich all retiring at the end of next year (with Pav the most likely to play on again) but it will give us another year to develop our younger KPP's in Taberner, Apeness, Smith, Pearce and Vandeleur. There'll be no excuses on Taberner being ready but if one or two of the others show that they can make it at the top level we may yet end up with a good transition.

And Sandilands showed us this year that it is possible to get the body right and improve on previous years even as you're getting older.

Last edited:

Yeah they've had some luck in that regard too. Polec also fell straight into their laps.

But the bulk of their stellar young midfield (which is their strength imo) is the result of astute drafting.

Port's last 6 first round draft picks: Hartlett, Butcher, Ben Jacobs, Wingard, Wines, (traded for Polec)

4 massive slam dunks, 1 fail and 1 still to be proven imo.

So has Luke actually signed on yet?
I can't see any news of it.
If we don't manage to trade a player out, signing him up again means we must delist, say, Simpson. If it came to that it will be interesting to see what the club does.

So has Luke actually signed on yet?
I can't see any news of it.
If we don't manage to trade a player out, signing him up again means we must delist, say, Simpson. If it came to that it will be interesting to see what the club does.

Not yet but it is imminent according to his manager this morning.

He said that they were waiting on Thursday.

So let's wait and see if the club end the career of another to keep McPharlin on for one more year.

If it's Simpson that gets necked, doing that just seems incongruous with the list management strategy of replenishing and maintaining the list through 1st and 2nd round draft picks

Last edited:
hmmm such a tough situation to manage for the club. I think they aren't full of confidence in Macca, otherwise they would have signed him up asap. They must be weighing up who gets delisted.

IMO I would just delist Simpson and re-rookie him.

McPharlin signs one-year deal

Fremantle defender Luke McPharlin has signed a one-year contract with the club and will play on in 2015.

The 32-year-old was an All Australian in 2012 and has been one of the greatest players in Freo history.

He will continue his 238-game AFL career into a 16th season.

Fremantle general manager of player management Brad Lloyd said the club was delighted to have McPharlin play another season.

“Luke is a champion performer and one of the most respected players and leaders at the club,” he said.

“He’s a tremendous athlete and a complete professional, so we’re confident he will play at the high level we’ve come to expect from him.”

Originally drafted by Hawthorn in 1999, McPharlin joined Fremantle for the 2002 season via a trade and has now played 226 games for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle defender Luke McPharlin has signed a one-year contract with the club and will play on in 2015.

The 32-year-old was an All Australian in 2012 and has been one of the greatest players in Freo history.

Fremantle general manager of player management Brad Lloyd said the club was delighted to have McPharlin play another season.

“Luke is a champion performer and one of the most respected players and leaders at the club,” he said.

“He’s a tremendous athlete and a complete professional, so we’re confident he will play at the high level we’ve come to expect from him.”

Originally drafted by Hawthorn in 1999, McPharlin joined Fremantle for the 2002 season via a trade and has now played 226 games for the club.

Not sure how I feel about this, whilst I am happy that he is going around again I really do hope he is confident in his body and doesn't end up like one of those players that should have retired the year before.

I actu
Can't help but be stoked to hear McPharlin is playing on next year :)

Sure it's worrying that we really could have Mcpharlin, Sandilands and Pavlich all retiring at the end of next year (with Pav the most likely to play on again) but it will give us another year to develop our younger KPP's in Taberner, Apeness, Smith, Pearce and Vandeleur. There'll be no excuses on Taberner being ready but if one or two of the others show that they can make it at the top level we may yet end up with a good transition.

And Sandilands showed us this year that it is possible to get the body right and improve on previous years even as you're getting older.

I actually think sandi is the most likely to play on next year. He has said that he thinks he has a few years left in him.

Not sure how I feel about this, whilst I am happy that he is going around again I really do hope he is confident in his body and doesn't end up like one of those players that should have retired the year before.

hopefully they stagger the games he plays to give experience to the younger guys and employ him as a tall defensive coach during the season

Play Luke forward.
Ds

Originally drafted by Hawthorn in 1999, McPharlin joined Fremantle for the 2002 season via a trade and has now played 226 games for the club.[/QUOTE

Does this mean we r not chasing Schoenmakers any more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back