News Luxford looms large

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice little puff piece for our boy Luxford, dazbroncos.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-05-25/luxford-looms-large

Michael Luxford isn’t just "the basketballer" anymore.

In just his second year on the list, the 20-year-old, who recruited by the Cats as a Category B rookie (meaning he had not played an official Aussie Rules game in more than three years), has shed the tag thanks to his consistent improvement.

Luxford’s development has been evident through his performances in the VFL so far in 2015, including an outstanding game against Port Melbourne on Saturday.

He racked up the most touches of any Geelong player on the day and also recorded a season-high six clearances. He excelled in all aspects of the game, laying seven tackles, taking four marks and kicking a quality goal.​

Pipedream at this stage, but it would be remarkable to get two quality AFL players from the Rookie B-list.

Last edited:
I thought he played a pretty good game on Saturday. Still needs to work on fitness, like a lot of 1-3 year players, and also his disposal was a little shaky at times but the endeavour is definitely there. Might push for a game this year but I think will certainly be pushing for more senior time next year after another pre season.

I would look at promoting him at seasons end, if we have a big list turn over (likely) and the draft is shallow (also likely according to reports).

Michael Luxford
Has been the big improver at the Cattery this season, having dramatically improved his fitness over the summer. Remains on the rookie list but is a good chance to be promoted to the senior list in the coming weeks. Racked up a team-high 21 disposals in the VFL team’s loss to Port Melbourne. Also took four marks, laid seven tackles, won six clearances and kicked a goal.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-05-25/in-the-mix-rnd-9

Pipedream at this stage, but it would be remarkable to get two quality AFL players from the Rookie B-list.

I Hope Luxford makes it
Both with a basketball background is not coincidence.
Basketball has the most transferrable skill with aussie rules.

Surely you could find a reasonable tap ruckman in the USA if you looked.

Last edited:
Michael Luxford
Has been the big improver at the Cattery this season, having dramatically improved his fitness over the summer. Remains on the rookie list but is a good chance to be promoted to the senior list in the coming weeks. Racked up a team-high 21 disposals in the VFL team’s loss to Port Melbourne. Also took four marks, laid seven tackles, won six clearances and kicked a goal.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-05-25/in-the-mix-rnd-9
There you go. :)

They might or might not be tired, I wouldn't know.
I was just asking how you could judge from merely watching the game.
I'm just suggesting he may have been assuming that - there may be no overt signs, but could be timely to give the kids some management, or do wait until the bye?

I'm just suggesting he may have been assuming that - there may be no overt signs, but could be timely to give the kids some management, or do wait until the bye?

I don't know what he was or wasn't assuming when he expressly said they looked tired, without any other explanation.
And I'm not disputing that they might be tired, nor that the club might now or soon decide they need a rest, both of those things often occur with new young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They might or might not be tired, I wouldn't know.
I was just asking how you could judge from merely watching the game.

They're not tired Fred, but if sore then that's a different thing. Personally I'd like to see Luxford given a game probably the subs vest, split half a game with Lang or Gregson just to see if he can handle added pressure.
As we've seen some kids just relish the added intensity of AFL cause it's in their DNA. This "B" rookie might just be another Blitz, so why wait, he's got an AFL body that's no issue.

Michael Luxford isn’t just "the basketballer" anymore.

In just his second year on the list, the 20-year-old, who recruited by the Cats as a Category B rookie (meaning he had not played an official Aussie Rules game in more than three years), has shed the tag thanks to his consistent improvement.

Luxford’s development has been evident through his performances in the VFL so far in 2015, including an outstanding game against Port Melbourne on Saturday.

He racked up the most touches of any Geelong player on the day and also recorded a season-high six clearances. He excelled in all aspects of the game, laying seven tackles, taking four marks and kicking a quality goal.​

Great to hear him getting some recognition for the work. Im still a bit wary of the upgrade talk at the moment but its better than the opposite I guess.

Im still thinking he will see his 3rd year next year as a rookie more for list management than anything. Why take a list spot if we can keep him as a rookie the extra year. I guess the advantage of a short term promotion this year will be giving him a taste of the speed of the game and the fitness requirements.

My other thought is where does all this Luxford talk leave JJ?. I would be a bit concerned if Luxford gets the upgrade and plays before JJ does I think. Its all about who is ready to play of course but Luxford has come from so far back I would have thought JJ had him covered.

Of course however I am extremely excited to see Luxford doing really well. Im looking forward to seeing him live in a few weeks. Sounds like he has the fitness well on the way and the strength also. The courage aspect he seemed to always have last year and the skills, to compare to Blitz, I thought Luxford looked more natural in his actions.

Would be a fantastic story if we get 2 AFL listed players from B Class rookies. Still a long way from that I feel but geez its going well…. or should I say Wells…. :p:p:p

Go Catters

They're not tired Fred, but if sore then that's a different thing. Personally I'd like to see Luxford given a game probably the subs vest, split half a game with Lang or Gregson just to see if he can handle added pressure.
As we've seen some kids just relish the added intensity of AFL cause it's in their DNA. This "B" rookie might just be another Blitz, so why wait, he's got an AFL body that's no issue.

Luxford has been impressive from the limited VFL games I have seen.

He has that innate awareness and creativity that makes things happen when he has the pill. His disposal by foot even when under the pump in congestion is surprisingly very good.

I'd expect him to flourish in the AFL ... a keeper.

I am a little wary too of talk that Luxford may be ready for some AFL action.

There is no doubt from what i have seen live is that he is making big strides forward.

What is especially pleasing is that as the AFL contingent in the VFL matches has diminished over the last few weeks (especially with a number of other mids out) Luxford has stood up. Proof that he can win his own ball. Proof too that he can operate within the game without being directed where to run /set up by more experienced mids.

He is hard to get a handle on when you watch him. He does a lot of of his work inside (hard to see, but exactly what we want from him) every now and then he will step nicely through a group and get the ball on, or run to good spots to receive. Doesn't mind being crunched. His kicking hasn't stood out for me, either way, so I would rate it as average - but so was Blitz's at this stage so I expect this will improve.

As to getting some AFL action this year. I would be extremely surprised if Gore doesn't go in ahead of him (assuming Gore is not seriously injured - missed last three games). I also expect the MC will want to see Blease and Cowan again to help them decide their futures.

Luxford will get his go next year IMO if he continues to improve. I would love to be proven wrong and see him dominate a number of VFL games and force his way in. Another special cat. rookie going to the main list would be a big win.

The potential of this guy excites me, mainly based upon draft-time reports of his natural ball skills and game sense as a basketballer.
These things are not immediately transferable at the top level, but I think that it is a very promising sign, allied to his physique.

The thing that most worried me was that, as a school-age prodigy, he might not have the application to the task. It seems that is not an issue at all.

I agree with posters above that, for the good of the club, it would be better to see JJ and Gore come through first, but looking at Luxford in isolation, a senior call-up in 2015 would show fantastic progress.

What you haven't seen their possession count lower, their energy levels drop
IMO Lang has been getting better every week, including last Friday when he was managed. Gregson yeah maybe but I thought that a couple of weeks ago and he then proceeded to tear it up the following week.

IMO Lang has been getting better every week, including last Friday when he was managed. Gregson yeah maybe but I thought that a couple of weeks ago and he then proceeded to tear it up the following week.

Agreed….I thought Lang was very good last week. I thought his being subbed out was a pre-meditated decision…to give MAckie a quarter and a bit to show his readiness….which he did!

Agreed….I thought Lang was very good last week. I thought his being subbed out was a pre-meditated decision…to give MAckie a quarter and a bit to show his readiness….which he did!
Yep agreed. Although I reckon myself, the missus, my one year old daughter and my cat could also have shown our readiness against the abomination that is Carlton...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back