News Maddy Prespakis and Georgia Gee request trade to Essendon & other possible player movements

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a thought (probably neither original nor insightful) but indulge me.

You're a mad Carlton supporter your whole life. There is no Carlton team when you are draftee age and you get drafted by *.

You are pick #3. Maybe would have gone higher if not for zones. You are an elite junior talent. It's not like * discovered you and you owe them your career.

You play four fantastic seasons and you're one of the best in the league. Carlton - your childhood team - finally joins the league and offers you 50% more money/car/benefits/employment than * does.

How many of you decide to stay at *?

I'd sign with Carlton quicker than you can say Prespakis....

I had a thought (probably neither original nor insightful) but indulge me.

You're a mad Carlton supporter your whole life. There is no Carlton team when you are draftee age and you get drafted by *.

You are pick #3. Maybe would have gone higher if not for zones. You are an elite junior talent. It's not like * discovered you and you owe them your career.

You play four fantastic seasons and you're one of the best in the league. Carlton - your childhood team - finally joins the league and offers you 50% more money/car/benefits/employment than * does.

How many of you decide to stay at *?

I'd sign with Carlton quicker than you can say Prespakis....
yep. no issue with it and as said up-thread we all saw it coming.

issue is the expansion related free movement will ream us (probably, the AFL still haven't released compensation specifics).

yep. no issue with it and as said up-thread we all saw it coming.

issue is the expansion related free movement will ream us (probably, the AFL still haven't released compensation specifics).
Yep, it's not the leaving, it's the lack of anything like fair compensation - or any compensation at all, for that matter!

We have cap space with the departure of Prespakis and co., so no surprise we’re going after an established player.

Article also seems to confirm that Nicola Stevens is leaving as well 🙁

Wow and we went and signed Harford up for 2 years. Players leaving and none wanting to come. Fun times.

Wow and we went and signed Harford up for 2 years. Players leaving and none wanting to come. Fun times.

It's not about Harford. Expansion clubs have hit us, we are allowing older players to go as we are rebuilding and one player is returning to her original VFL club.

The club posted to the AFLW Insta stories today a video of six players doing extra training at the club - I think with Simmo.

Tagged were Mua, Maddy Guerin, Poppy Schaap, Charlotte Hammans, Lucy McEvoy, and Brooke Vickers.

While not guaranteed, would take this as a good indication they are committed to the club for next season (whenever that may be). Gibbs returning to the VFLW this week also a good sign she may be coming off the inactive list.

Build the club around Mimi Hill.

I don't want to jump the gun and don't necessarily like comparisons to the men's team, but having seen her play and speak multiple times now, she strikes me as our female version of Patrick Cripps.

In terms of on-field skills, drive to succeed, team-first attitude, leadership, loyalty, everything.

Captain of Oakleigh chargers for both her bottom age and senior year. School captain of MLC in both Year 11 and Year 12.

She would have won the B&F by the length of the Flemington straight had she played from round 1 - absolutely dominated in her second season coming off a 12-month layoff. Additionally, every time she speaks I almost immediately forget she's still only 19.

Even though Prespakis has enormous talent I never really saw the leadership with her, but Mimi has it in spades.

Absolute gem.

Who's with me?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rules on expansion signings finally defined:

• So as one of the “bottom 7” and in Victoria, we can only lose 3 players to expansion. We’ve already lost two (Prespakis and Gee).
  • The only “compensation” we get will be retaining our first-round draft pick. If the value of departing players is deemed over a certain amount, then we retain said pick. If not, it is taken away. IMO I think losing Maddy alone qualifies us to keep our first-round pick.

• So as one of the “bottom 7” and in Victoria, we can only lose 3 players to expansion. We’ve already lost two (Prespakis and Gee).
  • The only “compensation” we get will be retaining our first-round draft pick. If the value of departing players is deemed over a certain amount, then we retain said pick. If not, it is taken away. IMO I think losing Maddy alone qualifies us to keep our first-round pick.
How the f uck is that compensation?

ffs, she'd be in our top 6-7 players (that includes gee and prespakis)
losing that many top line players is devastating for any club.

Not to mention - with Gee and Stevens going - that would be most of our forward line gone too.

Would leave us with Vescio, Gibbs, Schaap, Hammans, Milford. With the exception of Darcy, there’s not a lot of experience there.

What happens to your first round pick if you don't lose enough? Is it ladder order first round pick, or post expansion team start up picks first round pick? This is weird.

******* AFL. Always making rules that allow them to manipulate outcomes to suit their agenda:

To keep their first round draft pick for the upcoming NAB AFLW Draft, existing clubs must lose a total of 28 points worth of players ...

For example, a club can reach that 28-point threshold by only losing a couple of highly rated players, while another might lose several players who each attract a lower points valuation.

So who decides the value of players? What is the "rating" system? Of course, that will be about as transparent as mud.

All we can hope is that the success of the men's team will remind the AFL of what they gain when Carlton teams are in a strong position. And convince them that being gutted to the extent that we have and then having no decent draft picks is only going to hurt the financial development of the competition as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lauren Brazzale to Collingwood

Charlotte Willson to Melbourne...

While we're looking at getting (aging) forward Pheobe McWilliams from the Cats and midfielder Amelia Velardo from the Pies.

We're losing everyone it seems like. Brazzale isn't a star but she's reliable. Wilson was played out of position last season.

Lauren Brazzale to Collingwood

Charlotte Willson to Melbourne...

While we're looking at getting (aging) forward Pheobe McWilliams from the Cats and midfielder Amelia Velardo from the Pies.

We're losing everyone it seems like. Brazzale isn't a star but she's reliable. Wilson was played out of position last season.

Brazzale is getting on as well and was fringe last season. Wilson drops far too many marks and does not recover quickly enough.

Surely McWilliams won't cost much at all at 36, and Wilson should net us a decent draft pick. Trudgeon's rise has cemented her fate it seems.

Brazzale is getting on as well and was fringe last season. Wilson drops far too many marks and does not recover quickly enough.

Surely McWilliams won't cost much at all at 36, and Wilson should net us a decent draft pick. Trudgeon's rise has cemented her fate it seems.
Yes that's the only upside, but I think Wilson is a good player and just didn't have a great season.

Jones to the Suns is much worse, if it happens, at least it'll be a trade.

Agreed. With Gee, Stevens, and now Jones leaving we need more experience in the forward line. McWilliams is a good short-term option to help Vescio guide the younger ones like Gibbs and Schaap.

Velardo is only 19 and showing a lot of promise, so a definite upgrade there. Braz can finish up her career alongside her good mate Al Downie.

Sucks to lose Wilo, definite talent, but Trudge’s rise means it won’t be a huge loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back