Bumped Malthouse...Foxtel interview and more (latest post #1509)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I am going to miss the old codger. His press conferences were a highlight each week and the game will be weaker for their loss.

Mick certainly divides opinions. He had a combative nature and that's how he has survived this long. However, with that nature it meant he burnt a lot of bridges. Its a cut throat business and he cut a lot of throats.

A lot of the grievances towards Mick is that he becomes divisive and unreasonable when the tide is against him. His comments in the media for the last few weeks (right or wrong) showed he was prepared to burn the club for his own purposes. His purpose being a new contract or an early payout - take it or leave it - either way he won and Carlton lost. If he had Carlton's interests at heart (thankfully he never really did) he would have ensured a smooth transition to a new coach perhaps even mentoring an assistant coach :eek:.

There is an established pattern to his behaviour that has repeated here. At Collingwood there was so much work done to ensure a transition would happen in a manner beneficial for all parties. When Mick signed up to the director of coaching deal he knew with no flag in 10 years (at that stage) his job prospects were bleak and this plum retirement role was in his best interests, especially given his age. As events unfolded and with a flag in his pocket his stocks rose and he saw it in his best interests to reneg on the agreement. He put pressure on all involved to reverse the agreement and when that didn't happen he actively undermined the club in a year when we should have won a flag.

Its for this reason I will always harbour misgivings towards MM as he wasn't the team player I had him pegged for. Had he exited gracefully (and I respect that he decided the coaching director role wasn't for him) without all the drama he imposed on the club then I probably would be singing his praises. But indeed he was a Judas.

In the end and retrospectively he did us an enourmous favour. He would have been a negative force had he stayed in the background and a painful cancer to remove. We dodged a bullet. Oh and he took Daisy off our hands too whilst simultaneously detonating himself in the Carlton Football Club. For this I will be eternally grateful.

It seems like only yesterday when Carlton were trumpeting the appointment of Mick Malthouse. All that hope, all that bravado and mocking of Collingwood amounted to nothing. It was all BS.
They are further away from a flag than they have ever been in their history and I am loving every minute of it.

:p:p:p:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

We can put a line under it soon but we've got rights to celebrate the vindication of our own decision.

First...

Then...

This one sums him up today

The final ledger...

kx1km.jpg

:D:D:D:drunk:

Pretty much right;

@3AWSportsToday: Robert Walls: 'Mick's best days are past him, Collingwood knew that'

Carlton were silly to take him on, especially with the money they were paying him. Mick's been going downhill since about 2008 really. 2009 we started terribly and may have even missed the finals if not for the succession plan being introduced.

Then in 2010 Mick knew his time was coming to and end so he got more aggressive with trading then ever and got Ball and Jolly.

2011, well the less spoken about the last few months of that season the better.

Yet Carlton appointed him.:drunk:

Well I am going to miss the old codger. His press conferences were a highlight each week and the game will be weaker for their loss.
Mick certainly divides opinions. He had a combative nature and that's how he has survived this long. However, with that nature it meant he burnt a lot of bridges. Its a cut throat business and he cut a lot of throats.
A lot of the grievances towards Mick is that he becomes divisive and unreasonable when the tide is against him. His comments in the media for the last few weeks (right or wrong) showed he was prepared to burn the club for his own purposes. His purpose being a new contract or an early payout - take it or leave it - either way he won and Carlton lost. If he had Carlton's interests at heart (thankfully he never really did) he would have ensured a smooth transition to a new coach perhaps even mentoring an assistant coach :eek:.
There is an established pattern to his behaviour that has repeated here. At Collingwood there was so much work done to ensure a transition would happen in a manner beneficial for all parties. When Mick signed up to the director of coaching deal he knew with no flag in 10 years (at that stage) his job prospects were bleak and this plum retirement role was in his best interests, especially given his age. As events unfolded and with a flag in his pocket his stocks rose and he saw it in his best interests to reneg on the agreement. He put pressure on all involved to reverse the agreement and when that didn't happen he actively undermined the club in a year when we should have won a flag.
Its for this reason I will always harbour misgivings towards MM as he wasn't the team player I had him pegged for. Had he exited gracefully (and I respect that he decided the coaching director role wasn't for him) without all the drama he imposed on the club then I probably would be singing his praises. But indeed he was a Judas.
In the end and retrospectively he did us an enormous favour. He would have been a negative force had he stayed in the background and a painful cancer to remove. We dodged a bullet. Oh and he took Daisy off our hands too whilst simultaneously detonating himself in the Carlton Football Club. For this I will be eternally grateful.

Carlton and Mick; Mick and Carlton... ahhhhhh.

After Jason Cloke was played out of position in the 2003 GF with predictable results, Mick came out in the presser and said he thought Jason played better last year, i.e. the 2002 GF in which he was actually suspended for striking Tyson Edwards in the prelim while attempting to spoil in a marking contest, arguably costing us the 2002 flag.
Now keeping in mind Mick didn't in fact coach in 2012 after walking away from his Director Of Coaching contract...
Thanks, TRS.
As I said, I'm all giddy at the day's events.

Pretty much right;

Carlton were silly to take him on, especially with the money they were paying him. Mick's been going downhill since about 2008 really. 2009 we started terribly and may have even missed the finals if not for the succession plan being introduced.

Then in 2010 Mick knew his time was coming to and end so he got more aggressive with trading then ever and got Ball and Jolly.

Only reason MM survived 2009 was because of Eddie.

Agree 2009 we Traded Really Aggressive as Eddie and CO wanted to make sure the MM Left the Club at least with 1 Flag witch thankfully did happen.

2011 he was the Reason the Wheels Fell Off late in the year

Only reason MM survived 2009 was because of Eddie.

Agree 2009 we Traded Really Aggressive as Eddie and CO wanted to make sure the MM Left the Club at least with 1 Flag witch thankfully did happen.

2011 he was the Reason the Wheels Fell Off late in the year

We traded aggressively because we wanted a flag for the club and members. Nothing to do with Mick's legacy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We traded aggressively because we wanted a flag for the club and members. Nothing to do with Mick's legacy.

Well Eddie Saved MM in 2009 so I reckon Eddie wanted his mate to Coach the Pies to a Flag

Pretty much right;

The irony of who said that should not be lost either.

Could have been @3AWSportsToday: Robert Walls: 'Wall's best days are past him, Carlton knew that'

There are so many dimensions to this. Seriously, you couldn't make it up.

One of the greatest ironies is that MM's demise has bought Carlton and Collingwood fans together. I got a text from a Blues fan saying it was one of the happiest days of her (recent) life. A work colleague who is a Blues fan was as glued to the news feeds as I, both hanging on the outcome, she wishing Ratts was back.

MM truly is friendless, derided by footy fans nationwide, even a figure of ridicule. How hollow and sour-tasting does that make his breaking of Jock's record for games coached? What a travesty. Jock McHale left football a revered man, a true legend of our club. Mick? He has besmirched his own record, fouled his own nest. I am not revelling in this. It is a farce and the sooner this sorry mess is thrown in the dustbin of footy, the better.

Well Eddie Saved MM in 2009 so I reckon Eddie wanted his mate to Coach the Pies to a Flag

The only thing Ed wants is a Collingwood flag. He couldn't give a stuff who the coach is.

The only thing Ed wants is a Collingwood flag. He couldn't give a stuff who the coach is.

That is your Thoughts but I disagree.

Why did we not trade like that pre-2009?

Ed loves a Pies Flag but he really wanted 1 for MM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back