Bumped Malthouse...Foxtel interview and more (latest post #1509)

Remove this Banner Ad

He felt uncomfortable that Carlton didn't honour the full 3 year contract?! F**king spare me you hypocrite.
Yep, if my memory serves me correctly he also left West Coast with a year to go on his contract. The media over here got into him over that.

I thought the interview was pretty boring, MM clearly trying to behave and smooth things publicly with Carlton.

Funnily, when it came to Collingwood, you could see he tensed up. Obviously that still burns, and I can understand that, he was frank. He thought we were a young premiership side and he wanted to be part of a potential dynasty, that was taken away from him, so none of us should be surprised that he still feels bitter about that.

His career is over now, let's just move on. Enjoy the positive 12 years he had at the club, the repeated finals performances, the flag. That's what should be remembered and celebrated. He mentioned he had a life membership at WCE - does he not have one at Collingwood? If not, I would like to see him receive it, a final touch by Eddie to smooth things over and make him feel welcome at the club, as he should be.

Enough MM threads. So many on the forum bag MM for not letting the Collingwood saga go, and yet this forum has had an MM thread ever since he left! Seems many of our supporters haven't moved on either.

Last edited:
Haven't read the thread, can't be bothered to be honest. I enjoyed Mick's interview. He is human, he shows emotion, I have always liked that about him. I have no doubt he is still resentful about how his time with us finished. That bridge will be mended but I think we would be wise to let a few years go by before it happens.

Mick had a great career and it was not his fault that Carlton were the only club under his watch that played with no heart. It's just who they are.

Self serving tripe is what comes to mind for me. Always liked MM at Collimgwood but he disappointed at the end. Since then he has progressively eroded his reputation and tonight was a low point. We all know what he did this week, he engineered his sacking from Carlton and he had 500,000 reasons to do that. The SENinterviewwas the final nail. For him , a 30y coach, to get on air with Whatley tonight and feign surprise that someone could have interpreted what he was saying as anything other than a man just being honest with the truth is crap. If you play the game Mick at least acknowledge it. You dumped on Eddie Betts, accused him of playing "cautious" football, a big slur. You dumped on Trigg. You dumped on your club and you dumped on your reputation

Some of you posters make me laugh! Average match day coach some of you say! His record speaks for itself, he is second only to McHale when it comes to wins. He may of left us under questionable circumstances but celebrate the man for what he has given because surely what he has given outweighs any negative. He took a mediocre team and turned it in to a powerhouse. Under his watch we have played in more grand finals than any other team in the period of time he coached us if you include the draw. What's done is done and it's time to move on. Celebrate the man, don't bash him. There will never be another Mick Malthouse and I give him a big salute and farewell. Hopefully, Bucks can join him as a premiership coach because he absolutely deserves the accolade.

Some of you posters make me laugh! Average match day coach some of you say! His record speaks for itself, he is second only to McHale when it comes to wins. He may of left us under questionable circumstances but celebrate the man for what he has given because surely what he has given outweighs any negative. He took a mediocre team and turned it in to a powerhouse. Under his watch we have played in more grand finals than any other team in the period of time he coached us if you include the draw. What's done is done and it's time to move on. Celebrate the man, don't bash him. There will never be another Mick Malthouse and I give him a big salute and farewell. Hopefully, Bucks can join him as a premiership coach because he absolutely deserves the accolade.
Don't flatter him the only reason he has such a win record is because he's hung around long enough to notch them up. He was carried to premierships at west coast and Collingwood by lucky recruiting, anyone coaching those teams could have won a premiership and in the case of Collingwood probably two or three. You hang around for 30 years you'll chance upon a couple of good teams there's nothing more to it. Have a look at his average win record
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches?status=&type=&sort=p
Pretty poor actually.

I'm not going to change history and say Mick wasn't a good coach for us because along with himself and other competent people around him he brought the Collingwood Football Club out of the wilderness after a torrid mid to late 1990s period. I don't discount his achievements as our coach for more than a decade as his ability to allow the club to have sustained success throughout the 2000s barring 2004/2005 was impressive and I couldn't be more prouder of the efforts of years such as 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2011 to be so close to success or to have the ultimate success as we saw in 2010 so I'm not going to forget in a hurry.

However, I cannot forget the way Mick conducted himself from the halfway point of the 2011 season to the present day. He has constantly undermined our football club since the moment he appeared on the Footy Show and began doubting his future at the club and whether he would uphold the contract deal to be Director of Coach and step aside so Bucks could coach from 2012 onwards. Again I wasn't very offended by the fact that he left at the end of 2011 all together because he didn't want to be in Bucks' shadow but his motivation to join the arch-enemy in Carlton out of spite and as a way to prove Collingwood that we were wrong for demoting him (because after all we never sacked him), and to make subtle digs towards us throughout his whole tenure at Carlton was nothing short of a disgrace. His demise at Carlton has been all self-inflicted and perpetuated by the overall incompetence of the club as a whole and it's the reason why so many are taking great pleasure in seeing him crash and burn right now. I'm sure Mick envisaged a day when he thought he could win a Premiership with Carlton and in the process haunt our football club so there's no sympathy when it comes to his current demise.

Again I reiterate that I won't forget what he brought to the club in a positive manner as coach for a decade but Mick is an egotistical man who thought he was bigger than the club and cannot get over the fact that we set an end date for his coaching tenure at Collingwood. The fact that he had 11 years and was lucky enough to not be sacked at the end of 2005 or even the mid-part of 2009 where many were calling for his dismissal goes to show ungrateful and bitter this man is overall.

His departure may have possibly hindered our chances of winning a Premiership in 2012 but again that's speculative at best and we won't ever know whether we would have redeemed ourselves in 2012 under him after a disappointing end to 2011 but I think in the long-term his departure has benefited the club despite the short-term detriments that were evident early on. After all, all great coaches can't last forever and looking at say Kevin Sheedy for example his coaching ability is unquestionable but his overstay at Essendon from about 2002 hindered the club and they still haven't become a powerhouse or strong club since the days of 1999-2001 so I'm glad Collingwood was proactive to not go down a similar route under Malthouse like Essendon did with Sheedy.

Overall the interview last night didn't tell us much overall but it was plainly obvious that Mick still burns over how things unravelled at the end with Collingwood. I acknowledge the positive contributions he made to the club but his egotistical and nasty attitude leaves me very cold towards him and this was clearly reflected in his record-breaking coaching milestone where many supporters from both Carlton and Collingwood applauded him whereas I decided to not acknowledge and applaud his efforts no matter how silly that may sound to some. No one is bigger than the club but I felt Mick started to think he was especially towards the end and for that I can't forgive him for it but maybe old wounds will heal when time goes on.

I love that man like a father. I'm not sure what the Pies did to deserve Mick but we should thank our lucky stars that he spent some years with us. If we can get Bucks to resign then I think we might be able to get Mick back... I'm not sure if he wants to coach us any more. We would need to work out what role he wanted ...but I think we can get him back. We can only hope.

I love that man like a father. I'm not sure what the Pies did to deserve Mick but we should thank our lucky stars that he spent some years with us. If we can get Bucks to resign then I think we might be able to get Mick back... I'm not sure if he wants to coach us any more. We would need to work out what role he wanted ...but I think we can get him back. We can only hope.
You* can only hope

Don't flatter him the only reason he has such a win record is because he's hung around long enough to notch them up. He was carried to premierships at west coast and Collingwood by lucky recruiting, anyone coaching those teams could have won a premiership and in the case of Collingwood probably two or three. You hang around for 30 years you'll chance upon a couple of good teams there's nothing more to it. Have a look at his average win record
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches?status=&type=&sort=p
Pretty poor actually.
None of them blokes lasted 30 years, it takes knowledge and skill to be where he was at. You don't just 'hang around' for 30 years. Lucky recruiting? Chancing upon a good team? GC should be winning all GF's then with their lucky recruiting. No good team happens by chance, it takes hard work and a buy in from players to their coaches instructions. His record percentage is right up there with the greats of this era. You must have some deep hate for the bloke, he is a part of our club just as much as say Leigh Matthews is and their percentage is almost identical! He is an all time great, absolutely no flattery there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the man too but I don't want him as our head coach. If they can come up with a non-coaching role that he'd be happy with then I'm all for it but this is Buckley's team and not Mick's. I respect him for what he has done but what's done is done. You need to move on.

Admittedly, I don't post much; but I try to read as much as I can. But from what I can gather in the last couple of years of frequenting Big Footy, you and THATSGOLD are huge trolls that don't actually support Collingwood. I think you've actually reached a point where you legitimately despise the bullsh*t that you write, but you feel the unbridled obligation to keep on dishing out your rhetoric because you're too caught up in fulfilling the ideologies that your created avatar (and alternate personality) of 'Markfs' would like. That's edging on mental illness.

Either that, or you just know nothing about the club and love stirring people up.

Admittedly, I don't post much; but I try to read as much as I can. But from what I can gather in the last couple of years of frequenting Big Footy, you and THATSGOLD are huge trolls that don't actually support Collingwood. I think you've actually reached a point where you legitimately despise the bullsh*t that you write, but you feel the unbridled obligation to keep on dishing out your rhetoric because you're too caught up in fulfilling the ideologies that your created avatar (and alternate personality) of 'Markfs' would like. That's edging on mental illness.

Either that, or you just know nothing about the club and love stirring people up.
The ignore button works great for those 2 Pendlebeams :p

Nah Markfs is known for his sarcastic posting. Don't take what he is saying seriously. It is tongue in cheek stuff

lol. Clearly you don't read all that much because if you did you would recognise what the word irony means. Markfs is just having a bit of fun taking the pi$$ out of a few others around here including one who you may have mentioned in this post.

Do you think Markfs could be another alias of Adam H, that well known Collingwood hater?

Markfs posts are not getting as many bites as he would like, I think he is slipping.:D
Don't put him on ignore as you would miss a lot of LOL's.

Seems MM is at it again. I actually thought he'd go quietly now and slip into retirement - actually, I must be an idiot to think that. (No need for a response here either people)
Anyway - Micks had another dig at Carlton's president regarding the trading of Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs at years end. Seems he hasn't finished destroying the CFC just yet.

Maybe, just maybe, MM has our best interests at heart :)

You try to read as much BF as you can? And you suggest mental illness for me? As for knowing nothing

Nah Markfs is known for his sarcastic posting. Don't take what he is saying seriously. It is tongue in cheek stuff

I dont think my well thought out incisive critiques of the club should be dismissed as tongue in cheek. I spend hours going through BF threads extracting information in order to present reasoned arguments. Who would forget my outstanding post "Round 1 2021 team". It's still viewed as a masterpiece and hasnt been proven wrong yet...and probably wont be for at least 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back