Malthouse sacked - Interim coach John Barker

well done to carlton continuing to implode left right and centre and not let mick have his say and honour his contract.

wonder how judd feels after leaving wce now and constantly carrying the team on his shoulder.

Wasnt Judd shopping around for a vic team, and in the end it came down to carlton and collingwood?

331896-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Saint Mick, going out like a martyr.

I haven't read the thread so it's probably been raised already, but does anyone else feel like Mick was trying to get fired with his comments in the media, so he didn't have to have the shame of quitting?

Or more like he could get paid out for the rest of his contract.

Perhaps the Carlton board previously decided to sack Mick in 2 weeks time just before the blues play in winnable games, or at least have a greater chance of having an honourable defeat. There would have been a greater chance for the decision to sack Mick to be vindicated. Melbourne did the same thing when they sacked Neeld 2 years ago just before they had a couple of easier games coming up such as the saints and dogs.

Mick may have realised this yesterday and as a dead man walking, put a spanner in the works today by making comments about the board on radio, resulting in the board sacking Mick today.

Honestly when I heard him on SEN in the morning I thought he was agitating to get himself sacked, knew it was over and couldn't be arsed staying any longer but didn't want to walk from his payout. He's not dumb enough to think those comments would do anything other than get him sacked or make the board look like fools and make no change to when he would get sacked.

I'd say both were favourable to him

Funny how they talk of unity following the sacking of a coach. This club is a disgrace and their entire board should be sacked. Trigg is the biggest disgrace of all. Carlton is on its knees with their hands tied behind their back. I just think that Mick deserved better, he wasn't given the comfortability of security hence why his game plan couldn't be altered. May be given more time he would have been able to adapt but he had to stick to what he knows and the club sacks him for what they couldn't do.

Perhaps the Carlton board previously decided to sack Mick in 2 weeks time just before the blues play in winnable games, or at least have a greater chance of having an honourable defeat. There would have been a greater chance for the decision to sack Mick to be vindicated. Melbourne did the same thing when they sacked Neeld 2 years ago just before they had a couple of easier games coming up such as the saints and dogs.

Mick may have realised this yesterday and as a dead man walking, put a spanner in the works today by making comments about the board on radio, resulting in the board sacking Mick today.
When it went from "end of year" to "end of year, but" to the "bye round" in the space of 4 days....Mick is not an idiot. He knew what the club was doing. Why get out of bed to attend a toxic environment.
I did like LoGiudice trying to blame Mick for misalignment. 4 snap decisions from Thursday to Tuesday. Washed his hands nicely of a club that is sadly as amateur as they come at the moment.
This is a hard road back for the Blues. I thought our board was fractured in the face of real pressure last year.
The Blues wilted in the last week under the soft heat of media posturing.

Yet Goodes voices his opinion and gets booed by an MCG full of Hawthorn fans (as well as fans from other clubs)
nothing to do with it.
If Goodes thinks it's his opinions that has led to people booing him, he has no idea of his persona in the game. Wrong thread though, but it's nothing to do with his opinions.

Why? He could have said no when they asked him to do it. I'm sure no one had a gun to his head.

Well, he's a bit hamstrung in what he can do. Pretty much stuck with the same group of players and the same game-plan for the rest of the season, yet somehow has to show he's got the goods to get the gig permanently from next year. Even if he's got some genius new game plan it's a bit too late to go implementing it now without copping another few heavy losses while the players adjust. Really, he's stuck with the same tools Malthouse had and failed with, about the only thing he can do is ask his players nicely to try a bit harder; or rely on the dead-cat bounce as a few players realise they better pull their fingers out if they want to save their own careers.

In summary - I feel sorry for him.

Very disappointed with Mick's sacking today, it won't do any good for the rest of this season.

Carlton have bigger problems that who their coach is:

Incestuous Board

Quick fix mentality...always looking the next messiah whether it be a coach or a player

Chronic over-rating of their list, which is why they kept topping up with rejects for the GF tilt when they actually have been on the slide for years.

They should be trading out several older but talented players, but instead will probably trade in a 26 year old for low draft picks!!!

Mick: You’re letting me go?
Trigg: Mick, Carlton is a declining club, a poorly run club. Maybe winning premierships makes you a good coach, we don’t know. Frankly, we don’t want to know. It’s a market we can do without.
Mick: So that’s it, after 718 games. So long, good luck?
Trigg: I don’t recall saying good luck

19393_10155562889510494_7365267133921405363_n.jpg

Well, he's a bit hamstrung in what he can do. Pretty much stuck with the same group of players and the same game-plan for the rest of the season, yet somehow has to show he's got the goods to get the gig permanently from next year. Even if he's got some genius new game plan it's a bit too late to go implementing it now without copping another few heavy losses while the players adjust. Really, he's stuck with the same tools Malthouse had and failed with, about the only thing he can do is ask his players nicely to try a bit harder; or rely on the dead-cat bounce as a few players realise they better pull their fingers out if they want to save their own careers.

In summary - I feel sorry for him.
I still don't get the pity for him. If they did approach him to do it then he could have declined if he didn't want to or if he felt that taking it on might hurt his chances of a senior job elsewhere. Laidley or one of the other assistants could have done it.

The problem with Carlton is the same problem down at Essendon.

Rich coterie members calling the shots behind the scenes. That is no way to run a healthy football club.

Bruce Matheison has Carlton by the balls.

Judge for yourself.

caretaker = replacement for departed coach
interim = standing in temporarily due to e.g. illness

Year|Rd|Club|Coach|Status|Outgoing|Form|Res|Mgn|Opp
\2014|11|Ha|Bolton, Brendon|interim|Clarkson, Alastair|WLL|W|7|WS
\2013|23|Es|Goodwin, Simon|caretaker|Hird, James|LLW|L|39|Ri
\2013|21|Br|Harvey, Mark|caretaker|Voss, Michael|LWL|W|60|WS
\2013|13|Me|Craig, Neil|caretaker|Neeld, Mark|LLL|L|35|St
\2012|20|PA|Hocking, Garry|caretaker|Primus, Matthew|WLL|L|72|Ha
\2011|22|WB|Williams, Paul|caretaker|Eade, Rodney|LLL|W|60|PA
\2011|20|Me|Viney, Todd|caretaker|Bailey, Dean|WLL|L|76|Ca
\2011|19|Ad|Bickley, Mark|caretaker|Craig, Neil|WLL|W|32|PA
\2010|16|PA|Primus, Matthew|caretaker|Williams, Mark M.|LLL|L|36|WB
\2009|13|NM|Crocker, Darren|caretaker|Laidley, Dean|LLL|L|22|WB
\2009|12|Ri|Rawlings, Jade|caretaker|Wallace, Terry|LWL|W|15|WC
\2007|17|Ca|Ratten, Brett|caretaker|Pagan, Denis|LLL|L|10|St
\2007|16|Fr|Harvey, Mark|caretaker|Connolly, Chris|WLL|W|25|Ad
\2007|14|Me|Riley, Mark|caretaker|Daniher, Neale|WLL|W|23|Ca
\2005|18|Br|Blakey, John|interim|Matthews, Leigh|WLW|L|28|WB
\2004|18|Ha|McDonald, Donald|caretaker|Schwab, Peter|LLL|L|44|Me
\2004|14|Ad|Craig, Neil|caretaker|Ayres, Gary|LLW|W|72|Me
\2002|22|WB|Rohde, Peter|caretaker|Wallace, Terry|LLL|W|41|Co
\2002|13|Sy|Roos, Paul|caretaker|Eade, Rodney|LLL|W|77|Fr
\2001|17|Ha|Connolly, Chris|interim|Schwab, Peter|WLW|W|3|Ca
\2001|16|St|Thomas, Grant|caretaker|Blight, Malcolm|LLL|L|34|WB
\2001|10|Fr|Allan, Ben|caretaker|Drum, Damian|LLL|L|38|Ri
\1998|12|Br|Merrett, Roger|caretaker|Northey, John|LLL|D||PA
\1997|18|Ri|Gieschen, Jeff|caretaker|Walls, Robert|WLL|W|15|WB
\1997|10|Me|Hutchison, Greg|caretaker|Balme, Neil|LLL|W|25|Ri
\1996|13|WB|Wallace, Terry|caretaker|Joyce, Alan|LLL|L|12|WC
\1995|20|Fi|McConnell, Alan|caretaker|Quinlan, Bernie|LLL|L|41|Ge
\1994|3|WB|Joyce, Alan|caretaker|Wheeler, Terry|WWL|L|1|Co
\1989|16|Br|Feltham, Paul|caretaker|Knights, Peter|LLL|W|4|St
\1987|19|St|Davis, Allan|interim|Baldock, Darrel|WWW|W|3|WB
\1986|4|Co|Matthews, Leigh|caretaker|Rose, Bob|LLL|W|45|Ge
\1984|5|St|Gellie, Graeme|caretaker|Jewell, Tony|LLL|L|31|Ge
\1982|11|Co|Erwin, Mick|caretaker|Hafey, Tom|LLL|W|36|St
\1982|11|WB|Hampshire, Ian|caretaker|Hart, Royce|LLL|L|52|Fi
\1981|17|NM|Cable, Barry|caretaker|Blight, Malcolm|LLL|W|9|WB
\1981|3|WB|Goode, Frank|interim|Hart, Royce|LLL|L|1|Me
\1980|3|St|Jesaulenko, Alex|caretaker|Patterson, Michael|LLL|D||Ri
\1978|2|WB|McKenzie, Don|caretaker|Goggin, Bill|WWL|L|7|St

You are a marvel!

W= 18
L=18
D=2

So pretty much 50:50 although fair to say that teams do fire up as they would have been on a losing streak leading into the coach change.

Thanks for the stats...once again.

Back