The Law Marijuana Legalisation

Should Marijuana be legalised in Australia?

• Yes, for both Recreational and Medicinal purposes.

Votes: 136 81.9%
  • Yes, but only for Medicinal purposes.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • No.

Votes: 13 7.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Having never really smoked marijuana for long periods I will admit I lumped it in with other recreational substances however I still object to having to pay allbeit indirectly to help someone recover from something of their own doing.

Again you won't be paying for that, nobody gets addicted to Marijuana. You are not funding a habit like you already are with Cigarette's, Alcohol, Junk Food etc. You even admitting you were ignorant about this topic but still stand by your view even though the 16 pages are full of information that should be enough to establish you are full of s**t.

Having never really smoked marijuana for long periods I will admit I lumped it in with other recreational substances however I still object to having to pay allbeit indirectly to help someone recover from something of their own doing.

How many billions do you think is spent on Cannabis prohibition already?

How many billions do you think is spent on Cannabis prohibition already?

Yup, Millions of dollars is spent stopping people from using a plant. They are not stopping you from getting a plant and using a lab to turn it into a deadly drug, no, it is just a plant.

In the USA they spend almost as much on Marijuana as they do on any other illegal drug combined.

the government is paying 4.7 billion per year on this issue, if legalised that 4.7 billion becomes 0 and we gain economic and financial profit from selling/taxing.

the healthcare issue always comes up here, but marijuana is not an addictive substance, with about 9% of users become addicted, compared to 23% of alcohol users. there is no argument for addiction expenses.

there is also minimal health costs of the drug, e.g. contrary to popular belief inhaling marijuana smoke does NOT lead to an increase risk of lung cancer. no scientific study has been able to find any correlation between the two. no one has ever died from a marijuana overdose.

for this to be non-economical the healthcare costs would have to exceed 4.7 billion + revenue from taxing/selling.

Addicted, or dependent?

That 9% will generally have a mental or emotional issue that they are masking with the substance. There is nothing about the drug that leaves the body physically dependent. I am not the best at explain this but here goes. THC is what makes you high, but there are also hundreds of cannabanoids that bind with your body fat and it stays in your system for up to 3 weeks without being impaired. Due to the time it takes for the cannabanoids to leave the body, it is like a slow, steady detox.

That 9% will generally have a mental or emotional issue that they are masking with the substance. There is nothing about the drug that leaves the body physically dependent. I am not the best at explain this but here goes. THC is what makes you high, but there are also hundreds of cannabanoids that bind with your body fat and it stays in your system for up to 3 weeks without being impaired. Due to the time it takes for the cannabanoids to leave the body, it is like a slow, steady detox.

Cannabinoids naturally exist in the human body. They are also in human breast milk.

Cannabinoids naturally exist in the human body. They are also in human breast milk.

You have Cannabinoid receptors in the Brain, Heart and Liver.

Cannabinoids are the key to curing cancer as far as the more recent studies suggest.

the government is paying 4.7 billion per year on this issue, if legalised that 4.7 billion becomes 0 and we gain economic and financial profit from selling/taxing.

the healthcare issue always comes up here, but marijuana is not an addictive substance, with about 9% of users become addicted, compared to 23% of alcohol users. there is no argument for addiction expenses.

there is also minimal health costs of the drug, e.g. contrary to popular belief inhaling marijuana smoke does NOT lead to an increase risk of lung cancer. no scientific study has been able to find any correlation between the two. no one has ever died from a marijuana overdose.

for this to be non-economical the healthcare costs would have to exceed 4.7 billion + revenue from taxing/selling.
Ok answer me this then would you still smoke it if it was THC free thus making it into a healthy cigarette but no high.

Ok answer me this then would you still smoke it if it was THC free thus making it into a healthy cigarette but no high.

right make something that has health benefits legal but take out the chemical that delivers said health benefits #logic

So altering your mental state is a benefit or getting high is a benefit. So your saying THC is the medical wonderdrug and getting high is a lucky side effect. Okay how about we legalise it but make it prescription only ,we can even put it on the pharmaceutical benifits list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the actual problem with having fun with Marijuana, using it got recreation? This clown said it makes it a health cigarette, the THC is NOT UNHEALTHY!

Altering your mental state is fine, off course if you are a teenager with a brain that is still developing while trying to figure out your social standings or if you have a particular mental health issue, you shouldn't be altering your consciousness without a doctor giving you the okay for it. Also over using anything can be unhealthy.

There are studies that indicate it is possible that mind altering drugs (Peyote, Ayahuasca, Magic Mushrooms) is how we developed a consciousness. If you really want to expand your thoughts and ideas check out anything from Graham Hancock and Terrance Mckenna.

What is the actual problem with having fun with Marijuana, using it got recreation? This clown said it makes it a health cigarette, the THC is NOT UNHEALTHY!

Altering your mental state is fine, off course if you are a teenager with a brain that is still developing while trying to figure out your social standings or if you have a particular mental health issue, you shouldn't be altering your consciousness without a doctor giving you the okay for it. Also over using anything can be unhealthy.

There are studies that indicate it is possible that mind altering drugs (Peyote, Ayahuasca, Magic Mushrooms) is how we developed a consciousness. If you really want to expand your thoughts and ideas check out anything from Graham Hancock and Terrance Mckenna.

My problems are not so much the drugs themselves but what people do whilst altering their reality's and about who foots the bill for what happens during that time and or if something go's wrong who foots the bill. Im a little annoyed at society (I know im digressing a bit) basically blaming others for what they have done or blaming the drugs/alcohol/temporary mental condition for all their wrong doings and then we as a society are footing the bill to pick up the pieces.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida...ctor/2013/01/marijuanas-lasting-effects-brain
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/06/nih-marijuana-effects/1751011/
http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

A couple of links some some bad

My problems are not so much the drugs themselves but what people do whilst altering their reality's and about who foots the bill for what happens during that time and or if something go's wrong who foots the bill. Im a little annoyed at society (I know im digressing a bit) basically blaming others for what they have done or blaming the drugs/alcohol/temporary mental condition for all their wrong doings and then we as a society are footing the bill to pick up the pieces.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida...ctor/2013/01/marijuanas-lasting-effects-brain
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/06/nih-marijuana-effects/1751011/
http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

A couple of links some some bad

Are you against fast food then? You never answered that...fast food use has a massive cost to the economy, so to Cigarettes and especially Alcohol. This things are always costing you and you are worried about something that won't cost anything. It will add MILLIONS of dollars to the economy that can be streamlined into the health system, drug and alcohol education and addiction recovery.

Your first link talks about people who start using Marijuana at a young age. With regulation you have a better chance at keeping Marijuana and hard drugs (If you have to get Marijuana from the black market you are exposed to real dangerous drugs) out of the hands of children who have a mind that is still developing. NOBODY has said young people using mind altering drugs is a good idea, it is a horrible idea.

The second article also talks about how the main people who become dependent are those you start using Marijuana as teenagers.

The third article is just talking about what happens when you are high. Everything else in it has been disproved, Marijuana DOES NOT cause cancer. The negative effects smoking Marijuana has on you lungs, mouth and throat have nothing to do with the substance. The issue is inhaling large quantities of smoke, but that is why more and more people are turning to Vaporizers which are much healthier. It costs much more than a bong or rolling papers so people like myself can't afford such equipment.

Tbh im not really sure about the harder drugs being legal, it opens the door to even more destructive drugs in the future. But marijuana surely the debating is just about done and time to legalise it. Why our politicians wont touch it is bewildering, is it having to admit being wrong, or losing the war on drugs?
War on drugs was lost 20 years ago.
It is no different than the war on terror. They are fighting against an opinion.

legal = taxation = money going into the healthcare system
illegal = no tax = profits going into the hands of criminals
Hundreds of millions freed up in policing and justice as well.

Are you against fast food then? You never answered that...fast food use has a massive cost to the economy

I'm kind of on your side of the argument here but that statement is not true.

Interesting debate though. I'm intrigued to see what happens here in British Columbia. It is a massive unregulated industry here. Our neighbors across the border just legalized it so we'll see what happens.

So tell me then why my dollars should help fund your recovery. Bearing in mind it was your decision in the first place to use the substance
Your dollars,many many more than necessary, help fund the war on drugs and these dollars do extremely little to prevent more and more addicts to hard drugs.
Would you concede if legalization meant a 90% reduction in the money you invest in anti-drug/drug programs or are you happy to simply throw your a money away to justify your anti-drug stance?

Your dollars,many many more than necessary, help fund the war on drugs and these dollars do extremely little to prevent more and more addicts to hard drugs.
Would you concede if legalization meant a 90% reduction in the money you invest in anti-drug/drug programs or are you happy to simply throw your a money away to justify your anti-drug stance?

People need to understand that addiction is a disease and by putting non-violent offenders in prison just cost the Country and the tax payers more. However by giving help to addicts they can become function, productive members of society again. What we have also seen in parts of the world with legalized or decriminalized Marijuana is the use of harder drugs goes down. You don't have to be exposed to hard drugs on the black market and you know you can have a safe high. People who want to get high will find a way to get high, whether it is Marijuana, Heroin or prescribed medication.

War on drugs was lost 20 years ago.
It is no different than the war on terror. They are fighting against an opinion.

As in wars you cant win, yes. But terror cant be left unchecked or handled softly. Thinking about the harder drugs more, im still against them being legal but also against imprisoning people for it. Weed should be totally legal, like alcohol and self help programs for the others imo.

I know you'd like legal weed like tomatoes, grow unlimited amounts but we all know we wont get that. Govt will want their revenue, so what will we get? maybe 1-2k/year growers license, but most likely some personal plant limit. While i havent smoked in probably 20 years my young bloke is of the age now, its just ridiculous people can get themselves in strife for having a choof. Id prefer he had the occasional choof than smoke cigarettes even. If he ever did anything harder the law wouldnt be his main concern :p

Back