Mark Mercuri Dislocated Finger Goal

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my favourite moments ever. This guy was 100% SILK.

I am also enjoying watching the days when we were smashing the Hawks by 40-50pts regularly.. in fact I just miss 1999-2001.. how good was it to watch that team play every week?!!

Mercs the superstar!

Legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am also enjoying watching the days when we were smashing the Hawks by 40-50pts regularly.. in fact I just miss 1999-2001.. how good was it to watch that team play every week?!!

The days of when we put s**t sides away on a weekly basis use to love going to footy knowing the team was going to put a show on. now days watching the team play is bloody nerve racking.

Last edited:
Hird rates him the best player he played with....reasonable wrap.

Had the total package did Mercs - other than being slightly on the short side, which he couldn't do much about and didn't stop him being ridiculously good in the air, he was essentially a complete footballer.

40% of what mercs did was a massive piss take.

Astonishingly gifted footballer

Piss take is the best way to sum it up. Made opponents look stupid without getting out of 3rd gear.

My favourite moments were the back tracks when initial baulk didn't work. It was like he was doing a retake and his opponents still didn't get close to him.

Mercuri is up there with Winderlich as far as unfulfilled talents are concerned though. The word from the club always used to be that he was held in the same regard as Hird and on ability he should be part of a top 10 EFC players discussion but a combination of a lack of care and personal tragedy held him back.

Still my favourite EFC player.

It's offensive to Mercuri to describe him as silk. Mercuri was so much smoother than silk.

He made football look so easy. Give Mercuri the inner drive of someone like Peverill and you'd be wondering whether he is number 1, 2 or 3 in the all time list of Essendon champions.

His brother committed suicide, and so did his house mate if I remember correctly?

His brother committed suicide, and so did his house mate if I remember correctly?

That's the tragic part of his story. You can't blame him for dropping off after such tragic event(s) (I can't recall the housemate one but the point stands), my comment was with regards to his 1993 - 2000 period.

That's the tragic part of his story. You can't blame him for dropping off after such tragic event(s) (I can't recall the housemate one but the point stands), my comment was with regards to his 1993 - 2000 period.

I think this may have been in his final year or the year after he retired. Returned home from a holiday and found her body. :(

On top of the tragedies his groins went too...lost acceleration and from being able to kick 55m accurately to struggling to kick more than 40m.
Yep- watch the 1993 grand final for a reminder. One of his set shots which went through with ridiculous ease was every inch 55-57 metres out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back