Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2006
The Northern Oasis
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Talbot, Atlanta Falcons, Liverpool
Any comments and discussion are more than Welcome!

After 2 rounds the senior competition is shaping as one of the most competitive for years.

The only sour note is the struggling plight of the Trentham football club although I know there are some in the league that feel that the league is moving in a different direction and it may be time for the Trentham football club to move on.

Finals spots will be keenly contested this year with Harcourt, Newstead, Carisbrook, Talbot, Rovers, Royal Park and Avoca all looming as finals contenders.

Carisbrook have lost several key players and appeared to struggle in round 1 for an avenue to Goal against the improving youngsters from Talbot who will improve as the year goes on. Heavy recruiting by Maldon and Newstead looks to have paid off early with both sides performing well. Harcourt have added to an already strong list with old and new faces and look to be an early flag favourite.

Can anyone tell me how Maldon performed on the weekend as I'm keen to know if they are the real deal or not. Any other comments are more than welcome

I would like to know if anyone knows why Trentham players have left the club on mass!! What has happened behind the scenes there??

Also where has Maldons big spending come from?? Have they been saving for a few years now??

Can Carisbrook win it this year?? I think not... They will finish in the top 4 but dont think they will challenge to be honest.

Reserves competition looks as predictable as ever. Look out for a slow starting Talbot outfit who from what I've heard has many players to return

Another big round of MCDFL action this weekend.

My tips for this week:

Rovers v Royal Park - 45 points
Trentham v C/Creek - 30 points
Avoca v Talbot - 12 points
Harcourt v Dunolly - 120 points
Carisbrook v Maldon - 18 points
Newstead - Bye

Couple of interesting matches and potential finals matchups for later in the year.
Brook v Maldon will be of some interest as will Avoca v Talbot.

Some good posts here?
Anyone know how my good mate from Talbot Troy Cunningham is going?
Also Matthew Smith heard goes well...

KingRich said:
Smith and Balshaw are at Harcourt.... Both played last week.

Carson was at Castlemaine last year and I believe he is still there

have any of u guys played on matthew smith cos ive heard he is extremely quick and very rarely plays a bad game

Sherman41 said:
have any of u guys played on matthew smith cos ive heard he is extremely quick and very rarely plays a bad game

Smith goes ok but needs to hit some more targets!

Cunningham didn't have a pre-season and is slowly gaining fitness.... Underrated Defender

Smith's recent form has seen his inclusion into the University of Ballarat side to play in July in the Southern University Games. They will be looking for him to use his flair and destroy opposition sides with his pace..

On another note. I was lucky enought to get to the Talbot v Carisbrook game. Was very impressed with the CHF for Carisbrook, No 5. Can anyone tell me a bit more about this guy??

ablett19 said:
Smith's recent form has seen his inclusion into the University of Ballarat side to play in July in the Southern University Games. They will be looking for him to use his flair and destroy opposition sides with his pace..

On another note. I was lucky enought to get to the Talbot v Carisbrook game. Was very impressed with the CHF for Carisbrook, No 5. Can anyone tell me a bit more about this guy??

Ablett, I believe 5 is Lachy Hurse. Carisbrook born and bred boy who played in defence for most of last year but has had to move forward because of recent player departures for Brook. Thought he played a good first half but was well held in the second

Could any of you guys fill me in about Trentham. What type of club it is and where they play their games. I reckon I saw them play at an oval inside Hanging Rock racecourse when I was a kid.:thumbsu:

ringo1 said:
Could any of you guys fill me in about Trentham. What type of club it is and where they play their games. I reckon I saw them play at an oval inside Hanging Rock racecourse when I was a kid.:thumbsu:

Ringo they are battling big time mate. Not fielding a 2s team at the moment and have been in the papers hunting for players. Something has gone on over the Summer and many players have left. Not sure why.

They play their games in Trentham.

In the early 90s they had a really good side but since then have struggled near the bottom. Luke Beattie coached them a couple of years ago and they went ok but he has since left and his other brothers are leaving this year so that leaves them in trouble.

KingRich said:
Smith and Balshaw are at Harcourt.... Both played last week.

Carson was at Castlemaine last year and I believe he is still there
thanks king smith would dominate that league wouldnt he??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KingRich said:
Ringo they are battling big time mate. Not fielding a 2s team at the moment and have been in the papers hunting for players. Something has gone on over the Summer and many players have left. Not sure why.

In the early 90s they had a really good side but since then have struggled near the bottom. Luke Beattie coached them a couple of years ago and they went ok but he has since left and his other brothers are leaving this year so that leaves them in trouble.

Pretty sure Simon Beattie Coached Trentham and Luke played full forward kicking a ton.

HEY, guys --- this league set two records for the VCFL so far this year. The records involved ..... 1/. Biggest Winning Margin & 2/. Highest Score.

Harcourt 58.36 (384) sneaked home over Dunolly: 1.1 (7).
That's 94 scoring shots and a winning margin of 377 points.
Smithy got 20 goals (on www.countryfootyscores.com) and I believe one other forward snagged 17 or 18.

Jock Clark 2 said:
HEY, guys --- this league set two records for the VCFL so far this year. The records involved ..... 1/. Biggest Winning Margin & 2/. Highest Score.

Harcourt 58.36 (384) sneaked home over Dunolly: 1.1 (7).
That's 94 scoring shots and a winning margin of 377 points.
Smithy got 20 goals (on www.countryfootyscores.com) and I believe one other forward snagged 17 or 18.

Is Craig Brown-Kerr still coaching Harcourt?

That is a fair flooging in anyones books...
Heard Cunningham played well for the Hawks amassing 20 possys in the back line. Maybe he is under rated, lets see if he backs it up this week.
Smith another 30 possys. Does he run a bit wide??

ablett19 said:
That is a fair flooging in anyones books...
Heard Cunningham played well for the Hawks amassing 20 possys in the back line. Maybe he is under rated, lets see if he backs it up this week.
Smith another 30 possys. Does he run a bit wide??

Unfortunately young Cunningham undid a lot of his good ball winning work with a few clangers and free kicks against.

M.Smith played his best game for a while and did a couple of hard things. N.Smith started well but didn't have a matchup and spent the majority of the second half on the pine

RICH .... the other double figure goalscorer for Harcourt was Chris Stone with 13. After that there were blokes who snagged four sausage rolls, three and so on.
Brett Coombes will be a name to remember for sports trivia nights in years to come. He kicked Dunolly's only goal -- and in the last quarter, at that.

BTW, Harcourt holds not only the biggest margin for the VCFL so far this season ---377 pts. over Dunolly --- but also the 3rd biggest one.
That came in Rd. 1 of the MCDFL with a 254-point belting of Campbell's Creek.
The Apple Eaters are having a big season.

Jock Clark 2 said:
RICH .... the other double figure goalscorer for Harcourt was Chris Stone with 13. After that there were blokes who snagged four sausage rolls, three and so on.
Brett Coombes will be a name to remember for sports trivia nights in years to come. He kicked Dunolly's only goal -- and in the last quarter, at that.

BTW, Harcourt holds not only the biggest margin for the VCFL so far this season ---377 pts. over Dunolly --- but also the 3rd biggest one.
That came in Rd. 1 of the MCDFL with a 254-point belting of Campbell's Creek.
The Apple Eaters are having a big season.

Yeah Jock look I saw them play first hand last week and they do look very good. They have recruited well and look very organised out on the field. Brett Coombes is Dunolly's coach and is a very good player in his own right although I dont envy the position he is in.

I dont think those 2 thrashings a an accurate assessment of where Harcourt are at. Creek, Dunolly and Trentham are going to be a long way behind the rest of the pack and will cop some floggings like that along the way.

KingRich said:

Thanks for that KIngRich.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back