Matt Rosa

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no chance we could fit Mundy in lol with Swan/Pendles and Cloke absorbing a good chunk of our salary Id say its near impossible to get him. We had interest in Rosa yrs ago, but if his hitting 28 soon then he'll want the big bucks on his last contract for his footy career but Id rather us keep with the youth movement

He's an outside player of relatively advanced age. He's not of great usefulness to Collingwood with H and Young on the wings of the same age and guys like Sidebottom, Swan and Seedsman who can push onto a wing for periods during games.

He's looking better this season but his durability over recent seasons hasn't been great.

Would be a good fit for North Melbourne, Richmond and Western Bulldogs but not convinced Collingwood have a need for him.

Mundy and Higgins are the free agents who would be good fits for Collingwood. Frawley and Gibbs are also list fits but will be too costly you'd think.

He's an outside player of relatively advanced age. He's not of great usefulness to Collingwood with H and Young on the wings of the same age and guys like Sidebottom, Swan and Seedsman who can push onto a wing for periods during games.

He's looking better this season but his durability over recent seasons hasn't been great.

Would be a good fit for North Melbourne, Richmond and Western Bulldogs but not convinced Collingwood have a need for him.

Mundy and Higgins are the free agents who would be good fits for Collingwood. Frawley and Gibbs are also list fits but will be too costly you'd think.
A bit off topic, but if we were to make a play at Higgins where would you play him? I'm not convinced he would break into our midfield, but could be handy as a utility who could play off the HBF or HFF.

A bit off topic, but if we were to make a play at Higgins where would you play him? I'm not convinced he would break into our midfield, but could be handy as a utility who could play off the HBF or HFF.

I wouldn't play him through the midfield. A midfield rotation of Macaffer, Pendlebury, Beams, Swan and Ball is plenty. Though irregularly he could rotate onto the ball, sure.

I'd look at Higgins as a flanker. He would have been handy this year on a back flank with our injuries but really either end he could play and be an effective impact player with some versatility which is the positive thing he brings.

It depends on how much he costs to bring in but given the perception about his injury history you'd hope he doesn't ask too much and is intrigued about the possibility of going to a club with stronger winning chances.

He has played at FF quite a lot over the last two years… Anything but one dimensional, and Pendlebury isn't exactly a crash and bash midfielder, while Mundy can play that role quite well. But on top of all of that he has class and you can never have too much class in your side.
In regards to 'the Pendelbury role', what exactly is it? and why can only one player play it?

I think we have an AA that can play FF. Pendlebury doesn't need to bash and crash because he is more classy around the clearance.

I think we have an AA that can play FF. Pendlebury doesn't need to bash and crash because he is more classy around the clearance.
I think you're fighting a losing battle, quit while you're behind ;)

Speed is overrated, Jobe Watson moves like a bulldozer yet is a top 5 midfielder in the afl, same with Josh P Kennedy and David Mundy who are both atleast top 20. Call me plain or boring but pick me a big body midfielder over a speedy outside type like a B.Hill, Yarran and Jetta. My only exception with speed is Dangerfield as he has an elite inside game to complement his speed.

And to be honest, Mundy could have no troubles pushing Swan out of our midfield at this stage.

Size is overrated. Hawks were clearly undersized compared to Freo but won the grandfinal. Swan won't get pushed out of the side he is a champion.

I think you're fighting a losing battle, quit while you're behind ;)

I'll consider not recruiting David Mundy a win and so i think I'm going to win.

Size is overrated. Hawks were clearly undersized compared to Freo but won the grandfinal. Swan won't get pushed out of the side he is a champion.

Mundy, Fyfe, Barlow and Crowley were great in the grand final. Especially Mundy who was easily the best midfielder on the ground, an arguably should have won the Norm Smith.
And i wouldnt look to much into the grand final, it was an odd game and Hawthorn didnt get over the line from there midfield performing at a high standard.

Fitting Pendles and Mundy in the same team I think is the original argument you made. And we certainly can fit them in.

Mundy is versatile enough to play as a back flanker or as a makeshift key forward if necessary, but it's more likely Ball would no longer get a look in and Swan would become a HFF, only used in the midfield as a Burgoyne-type "s**t is about to hit the fan, we need a Plan B" option.

Freo's big mids did well. More than matched Hawthorn's mids. I think size is overrated in this particular discussion (I prefer a balance/spread of mids), but Mundy is quality and would've certainly been Norm Smith had Freo not wasted their chances and lost.

Should we get Mundy? I don't think we should, and I've outlined why in the last page. But to the point of Mundy fitting into our structure/Pendles, and making us a better team, I think he can and does.

Mundy, Fyfe, Barlow and Crowley were great in the grand final. Especially Mundy who was easily the best midfielder on the ground, an arguably should have won the Norm Smith.
And i wouldnt look to much into the grand final, it was an odd game and Hawthorn didnt get over the line from there midfield performing at a high standard.

Clearances were 42-34 Hawthorns way yet hit-outs were 27-55 fremantles way. Freo's bigger bodies did a poor job in converting hit-outs to clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearances were 42-34 Hawthorns way yet hit-outs were 27-55 fremantles way. Freo's bigger bodies did a poor job in converting hit-outs to clearances.
Get me a hitouts to advantage stats for that game before that statement will do me any convincing, normal hitouts stats are useless.
I havent looked at the stats, but i can guarantee Freo would have won the centre clearances as it involves there 3 bigger bodies more often than not where as stoppages all over the ground involve forwards and backman too, which is where hawthorns advantage comes in place, they have fantastic clearance players in there forward and backlines, along with the fact it was a low goal scoring game meaning there would be alot more forward and backline stoppages which is another factor surprisingly in Hawthorns favor.

I can't believe any Collingwood supporter would seriously suggest us getting David Mundy (if available and at a reasonable price) would not be a fantastic move. Another strong bodied midfielder would be very handy. This thread is supposed to be about Matt Rosa, apparently. Not too excited about him at all, but if available at a very modest wage would still consider.

I can't believe any Collingwood supporter would seriously suggest us getting David Mundy (if available and at a reasonable price) would not be a fantastic move. Another strong bodied midfielder would be very handy. This thread is supposed to be about Matt Rosa, apparently. Not too excited about him at all, but if available at a very modest wage would still consider.

Who does Mundy push out of the rotations at age 30?

Who does Mundy push out of the rotations at age 30?
He's currently 28, 29 by next season. We'd find a spot for him. I was probably about as underwhelmed as most Collingwood supporters when we picked up Leigh Brown (different scenario, of course) but he worked out nicely. If Mundy (if he chose to head back to Victoria) was asking for an over the top wage, I would ignore him. Otherwise I'd be very interested. Swan is 30, 31 by next season. I'm sure he could spend a bit more time on a flank somewhere if Mundy was to come in.

Don't see what he adds personally. Is he really any better than Elliot, Fasolo, Dwyer or Kennedy having a run through the middle?

He's currently 28, 29 by next season. We'd find a spot for him. I was probably about as underwhelmed as most Collingwood supporters when we picked up Leigh Brown (different scenario, of course) but he worked out nicely. If Mundy (if he chose to head back to Victoria) was asking for an over the top wage, I would ignore him. Otherwise I'd be very interested. Swan is 30, 31 by next season. I'm sure he could spend a bit more time on a flank somewhere if Mundy was to come in.

Mundy just takes time from a young player like Adams who I think will be just as productive in 2015 but we pay top dollar for the privelege.

Mundy just takes time from a young player like Adams who I think will be just as productive in 2015 but we pay top dollar for the privelege.
We're not going to agree on this, but that's okay, it doesn't (necessarily) mean I think you're a bad person!

On a completely unrelated note, can you please tell me who that is in your avatar picture. It has troubled me for some time, and apologies if it's someone most people would be expected to know!!

We're not going to agree on this, but that's okay, it doesn't (necessarily) mean I think you're a bad person!

On a completely unrelated note, can you please tell me who that is in your avatar picture. It has troubled me for some time, and apologies if it's someone most people would be expected to know!!

No worries mate, I never take offence to a Magpie fan arguing their point intelligently as you have.

The avatar is Nick Cage from Wild at Heart.

Mundy is an A grade quality player, he's also a big bodied mind which we are lacking at the moment. On top of all that he would greatly help us with a premiership push in the next few years and would teach our young mids a lot.

Yes what a mistake it was for Hawthorne to pick up Shaun Burgoyne and Brian Lake, not to mention Collingwood picking up Luke Ball and Darren Jolly in 2010. Will clubs ever learn? :rolleyes:

FFS people are opposed to picking up star players just because they're not young anymore, a 25 year old gun still has 6 or 7 good years left, Mundy Still have 3 or 4 quality years left. AFL teams can go from middle of the table teams to premiers in the space of a year! Three years before winning the flag Hawthorne almost missed the finals (after picking up an 'older' player in Burgoyne), The Cats looked shot in 2010 and no one picked them for the flag just one year later, who picked Sydney for the flag in 2013?
We are not going to win the premiership by constantly developing youth, eventually you have to take a chance and go all out to win. I don't believe the competition is particular strong at the moment, GCS and GWS are still a few years away, Geelong are no longer a powerhouse, I rate Freo and the Hawks but they could easily drop away (I can see Hawthorne dropping away fast) and neither of them are as good as the Pie's or the Cat's of 2009/10/11.
We would be crazy to not enquire about Mundy, but back on topic, i'm not overly fussed about Rosa, but if he could improve the team then lets at least have a look.

yeh well jolly, ball, lake and burgoyne were all stars haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back