Traded Matthew Leuenberger (2006-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough one with Lewey, if there's one guy in the team who deserve a bit of extra time it's him due to all the injury setbacks.

At the same time his contested marking does not seem to be improving and if he wants to be a genuine A grade ruck he needs this skill.

He did however have the highest percent of hitouts to advantage in the Nab Cup. Crazy to write him off after one bad game, no matter how bad it was.
I think you can assume I'm basing those comments on observations over the period of his career, not one bad game as you put it.

Wasn't singling your post out. Just feel some of the Leuenberger hate is not needed. Had one bad game, he is usually pretty consistent.
Been played out of position and after such a long time our needs some continuity to get back to the level that he can play. Martin maybe the better ruck IMO but he is also better playing up front as well.

Been played out of position and after such a long time our needs some continuity to get back to the level that he can play. Martin maybe the better ruck IMO but he is also better playing up front as well.

Agreed. Leuenberger plays as the first ruck and Stef plays forward. Has the size, strength and athletic ability to be a nice target up forward. Taken some real nice contested marks in the first couple of rounds. Has the tools to kick a couple of goals a week as a forward.

Leuey is one that I'm extremely confident will find form in the 2s quite quickly and be back in the side no dramas at all.

AFL listed players rarely have trouble finding form in the NEAFL.

The conundrum, as always, is whether this new found form is translated to the real stuff.

How many times in the recent past have we heard reports of fringe AFL players tearing it up in the NEAFL or the "Magoos", being rushed back into the AFL. only to disappoint yet again.

Leppa has demonstrated a willingness to give rookies and newbies a few games on the trot in the AFL before demoting them. Personally I'd like to see the converse applied. That is if you are dropped to the Two's,you should demonstrate form there for at least 3 weeks before being considered for a recall.

Too many players are "dropped" for a week and then recalled almost as a matter of course.

AFL listed players rarely have trouble finding form in the NEAFL.

The conundrum, as always, is whether this new found form is translated to the real stuff.

How many times in the recent past have we heard reports of fringe AFL players tearing it up in the NEAFL or the "Magoos", being rushed back into the AFL. only to disappoint yet again.

Leppa has demonstrated a willingness to give rookies and newbies a few games on the trot in the AFL before demoting them. Personally I'd like to see the converse applied. That is if you are dropped to the Two's,you should demonstrate form there for at least 3 weeks before being considered for a recall.

Too many players are "dropped" for a week and then recalled almost as a matter of course.

I wouldn't characterise Leuey as a fringe player. Nor do we know the internal specifics as to why he was dropped. Might be there until he finds form. Might be there as part of a management plan. Might have been specifically told he would play 2s for 1 or 2 weeks then be back in the seniors. We'll see how Stef goes tomorrow and how Leuey performs I guess.

I think prescribing rigid guidelines as to how many weeks you have to play in the 2s would be unnecessary and silly. Leuey hasn't had a good run with injury so hasn't had a lot of game time the past few years. If we're not pushing for finals i'd have him on a pretty specific plan for the year to get him into tip top shape ahead of the 2015/2016 preseason.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/04-15/jon-ralph-stings-phil-walsh-jack-watts-leuenberger
Leuenberger can’t get in this side?

Brisbane ruckman Matthew Leuenberger will stunningly play another game in the reserves despite the bottom-placed Lions desperate for any key position players to step up.

“Brisbane is up there with St Kilda as the worst side, so how can he be dropped from the team who are ravaged by injury?” pondered Ralph.

“He got smashed by Heath Grundy in Round 1 then played poorly again.

“It is frustrating to see a number four draft pick that had a couple of great years playing in the twos for a team that bad.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, that reads like the appraisal of a novice ruckman, not one who has been in the system as long as Leuey.
I thought the same. A big worry.

Shouldn't he be finding form in the reserves, not in the seniors.
If he can't mark a ball in the 2's, how is he going to do it at AFL level?

Yeah he really needs to start using his size and running capacity better... he has the skill to provide the marking contest around the ground which would help our team when kicking under pressure. He really needs to start showing it.

Rucks generally frustrate me as they don't know what an advantage they have in terms of size, and considering Leuy can move well he has that added advantage.

I remember thinking when I played footy that I would love to play against guys that are a foot or 2 shorter then me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back