Past Matthew Lobbe

Remove this Banner Ad

What I find amusing about the Lobbe situation was there was speculation at one point that possibly Lions agree to take on Lobbe and his pay packet to release room for Rockliff to be paid even more to become a Port player and as a result push Rocky pay and subsequent compo pick for Lions up to pick 2 to make both Lions and Port happy at same time.

Curiously he turns up at Carlton later on after Lions only got pick 18 compo and Lions pay packet to Rocky was not quite as high as some suggested earlier. Did Port and Lions get scared off of threats of draft tampering penalties ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder why Lobbe decided to go from the side with the second best ruck in 2017 to the side with the best?

Wouldn't he have been better of going to Dogs or somewhere in need of a 1st ruck?
It's an interesting point... not that I'm complaining with having him.

Doggies offered Port two 1st rounders for Lobbe 2 or 3 years ago IIRC, they would be shattered they didn't take it.

From memory they offered the pick we traded up for, with which we selected Charlie Curnow.

I think he shores up our ruck stocks nicely. Big chance he'll be a potato but you never know, change of scene, new ruck coach and if he can recapture anywhere near his best form then he can back up Kreuzer well for a few years.
Could Lobbe perhaps take first ruck and in this case could Kruez play as a big ruck rover?

From memory they offered the pick we traded up for, with which we selected Charlie Curnow.

Really I thought it was around 2013/2014, would think it would have been before they got Ryder.
Lobbe had some talent, had in my SuperCoach team and he was really good value, there must be a reason for the drop in form.
Have also heard the Doggies really wanted Charlie Curnow that year, but trade the pick away thinking he was no chance to make it to pick 12, then the DUI happened and the rest is History.

Last edited:
Be thankful. Back before SOS, we would have given a second rounder and taken all of his salary.

It was obvious this season we were insufficiently covered for ruck. Lobbe will hopefully give us a couple of years of cover in Reserves while we recruit a rookie who can learn his craft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back