Toast Matthew Suckling

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry suckling, i cant see you getting back into the team if you are rested this week, defensively is very poor. When attacking and he has room he looks a million dollars but there isnt that room in Spetember and thats why Sewelly always gets a GIG.

Looked pretty dejected sitting on the bench after being subbed and I couldn't spot him in the circle when they were singing the song (watched and paused through it multiple times). My fear is that he's done for the season with one of the minor knee injuries (PCL or MCL). Will be shattered for him if he's done his ACL this close to finals.

Team will be interesting tomorrow night reckon Doc will come in for Suckling
Will we go with Cegs/Hale again?
We know Clarko doesn't like to make changes close to finals

Just watched the first half of GF in full.
One piece of play he hasn't got credit for is 12:35 to go in the first, Buddy splits a pack going for the mark and Suckling is absolutely crunched to the floor. As we whisk the ball away, instead of feeling sorry for himself he gets up and runs hard for 60m to get on the end of the Hill kick about 15 seconds later, then hits Puopolo on the chest for our first goal.

Last edited:
Just watched the first half of GF in full.
One piece of play he hasn't got credit for is 12:35 to go in the first, Buddy splits a pack going for the mark and Suckling is absolutely crunched to the floor. As we whisk the ball away, instead of feeling sorry for himself he gets up and runs hard for 60m to get on the end of the Hill kick about 15 seconds later, then hits Puopolo on the chest for our first goal.
Great pick up mate. He had two great games against the swans. Round 18 is also a revelation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as soft as some around here would have you believe

For every apparent hard thing he does there's multiple soft things.. I'm not gonna put the bloke down, he's a premiership player and is vital now we have chip down there who can't kick, but let's be honest, he's a tad worried about physical pressure.

There were a few moments in the GF where I thought he was certain to be pinged for holding the ball if he went to kick it, but he managed to get a clean handball away in all those situations. Played a good game.

Thought i'd bump this.

Have always been a fan of his and know their are some serial detractors around his contested ability and defensive side, however have been really disappointed with his first three games. So often in contests he's the guy a metre off them and having little or no influence. He hasn't really been able to use his boot much this year either, often only chipping 20 - 30 metre passes. In addition, he also seems to have little influence until the heat drops out of the game during the third quarter.

I wonder whether he is suited to the sub role or needs a spell at BH to work on his contested ball winning abilities. It's not like we are getting massive offensive value out of him.

What do others think?

Thought i'd bump this.

Have always been a fan of his and know their are some serial detractors around his contested ability and defensive side, however have been really disappointed with his first three games. So often in contests he's the guy a metre off them and having little or no influence. He hasn't really been able to use his boot much this year either, often only chipping 20 - 30 metre passes. In addition, he also seems to have little influence until the heat drops out of the game during the third quarter.

I wonder whether he is suited to the sub role or needs a spell at BH to work on his contested ball winning abilities. It's not like we are getting massive offensive value out of him.

What do others think?
Could probably do with a rest due to his ankle but Litherland hasn't been flash hot at VFL level so far and with Birchall, Gibson and Frawley all having missed a week each so far they're probably not too keen on unsettling the defensive lines any further.

I thought he was deplorable versus Essendon and below average versus the Dogs. I think the Port game should suit him though but another poor game could cost him his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back